Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Carey V Vermont.
First quarter 4 goals each.
Second Quarter 5 goals to 2 Vermont
Third Quarter 7 goals to 1 Vermont
Fourth Quarter 6 goals to 2 Carey
So Vermont 18 to Carey 13. Carey did seem to kick more points.
Hard to judge as I had no idea who had more missing/picked strongest team. Was also bloody hot for footy.

Scotch over De La by about 3 goals at Camberwell. Pretty high quality game and I think both sides would be fairly happy with what they saw.

Gilbee very polished for Scotch had will be handful. With Hill they have 2 of the classiest players in the comp. Croad an absolute beast of a man and while a bit rusty kicked a couple and was very physical. Will certainly have opposition defenders aware of his presence.

Saw a half of the Xavs v Balwyn game. Nothing in it at half time.

Reasonable standard fast open game. Xavs look like they’ve added some leg speed this year.

Chopper Handley was prominent kicking the first three goals for Xavs and looks like he’ll be a handful again this year.

Xavs will be thereabouts I'd reckon.

Xavs will be thereabouts I'd reckon.

Without any doubt at all.

Scotch for flag I'm going to say

Scotch
Xavier
Collegians
ANYONE ELSE

Uni blues are known for the occasional dirty act. It will be very interesting to see what revenge they have in store for Gilbee for making them look silly

Scotch over De La by about 3 goals at Camberwell. Pretty high quality game and I think both sides would be fairly happy with what they saw.

Gilbee very polished for Scotch had will be handful. With Hill they have 2 of the classiest players in the comp. Croad an absolute beast of a man and while a bit rusty kicked a couple and was very physical. Will certainly have opposition defenders aware of his presence.

at the scotch v de la game yesterday.
Gilbee's kicking is going to be the biggest weapon for scotch this year. watched the game yesterday and he kicked one from the back flank deep into the forward pocket, then kicked out from a behind and hit a man half way between the benches on the wing, amazing to see the difference between his skill level, time and cleanliness with the ball between him and some of the other players.
I know for De la they had a few missing and a few younger kids running around, they're back up ruckman hasnt played a game in 1 and a half years and he went up against one of the top ruckmen in the vafa.
scotch probably had a few out so give that, looks like they're about even going into the season

Didn't make it out to the snakepit, was too nice a day at the Uni Main. Blacks easily accounted for Fitzroy (20 goals). Killed them with height and size. Fitzroy looked as though they didnt have a bloke over 6'3". Pattison and Macauley looked like good players and Slabert is probably the pick of the bunch.

Didn't make it out to the snakepit, was too nice a day at the Uni Main. Blacks easily accounted for Fitzroy (20 goals). Killed them with height and size. Fitzroy looked as though they didnt have a bloke over 6'3". Pattison and Macauley looked like good players and Slabert is probably the pick of the bunch.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of playing in that game on the weekend. Uni Blacks are a very, very big side. I haven't seen many Ammo teams with 8 guys over 6'6' in their side. The Uni Blacks monsters took about 15 marks in their forward 45 and they kicked incredibly straight. 21.5 to 5.5. Was talking to Uni Blacks guy during the game and he said they had about 4 or 5 VFL listed players playing but wasn't sure how many games they would get out of them. They will surprise the comp at full strength.
Will be interesting to see how they go on the Uni ground when it turns into a mud pit come June.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of playing in that game on the weekend. Uni Blacks are a very, very big side. I haven't seen many Ammo teams with 8 guys over 6'6' in their side. The Uni Blacks monsters took about 15 marks in their forward 45 and they kicked incredibly straight. 21.5 to 5.5. Was talking to Uni Blacks guy during the game and he said they had about 4 or 5 VFL listed players playing but wasn't sure how many games they would get out of them. They will surprise the comp at full strength.
Will be interesting to see how they go on the Uni ground when it turns into a mud pit come June.

Sorry Yellow, didnt mean to purposely inflate scores. That score seems about right. I can however tell you that the blacks have zero listed VFL players. Not sure they had quite that many blokes over 6'6". 5 players 6'5" or greater by my count.

Fitzroy a very impressive club. Wouldnt surprise me if they play Premier A within the next few years. Especially with their depth. Their 2's almost rolled the Blacks 2's who won a flag last year and edged out Xav's 2's the week before Easter.

Sorry Yellow, didnt mean to purposely inflate scores. That score seems about right. I can however tell you that the blacks have zero listed VFL players. Not sure they had quite that many blokes over 6'6". 5 players 6'5" or greater by my count.

Fitzroy a very impressive club. Wouldnt surprise me if they play Premier A within the next few years. Especially with their depth. Their 2's almost rolled the Blacks 2's who won a flag last year and edged out Xav's 2's the week before Easter.

For what its worth, Uni Blacks were an A section side playing in B last season. If they have topped up with some ex-AFL and no doubt a few country boys that no one has heard of, they will be giving the finals a huge shake. Backline is very strong who restrict the opposition to low scores.

It may have just looked like it as every time it went into the forward line there was a different big bloke taking a mark.
Quite suprised to see you say that there are no VFL listed players as the UB bloke was quite adamant. If thats the case, I think you guys are a massive chance this year.
Good to see both team at the Clyde having a beer after the game, hopefully this can be a regular game in the preseason and we hope to put up a better showing next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues v Blacks derby in round 3 is shaping up to be a ripper. Blues have more U/19's in the 1's than most people give credit for. Watch out for Sean Carr after a break out season last year, 2nd year in the seniors should see him blossom.

Blues v Blacks derby in round 3 is shaping up to be a ripper. Blues have more U/19's in the 1's than most people give credit for. Watch out for Sean Carr after a break out season last year, 2nd year in the seniors should see him blossom.
Its interesting you say that nige, I watched a few seniors games last year for blues as a loyal supporter and a bloke called P.Gardiner stepped up from playing under 19's and kicked 4 straight up. Managed to hold his spot apparently and will be a key proposition for their forward line

Its interesting you say that nige, I watched a few seniors games last year for blues as a loyal supporter and a bloke called P.Gardiner stepped up from playing under 19's and kicked 4 straight up. Managed to hold his spot apparently and will be a key proposition for their forward line

From all reports P.Gardiner is about to take him game to a new level. I have watched him closely over the past year and it is noticeable that he has added some muscle to his frame. This has been evident in the practise matches where he has been competed and held his own against opposing backman. He is an exciting prospect!

From all reports P.Gardiner is about to take him game to a new level. I have watched him closely over the past year and it is noticeable that he has added some muscle to his frame. This has been evident in the practise matches where he has been competed and held his own against opposing backman. He is an exciting prospect!
Very observant Pitty. Obviously been spending a lot of time in the gym over the off-season after getting knocked off the ball last year. Was to be expected making the jump from U/19, but this year could be the year he takes off. Skys the limit for the young man, VFL the next step?

Hi Paul!

Few students bored in the dorms I think...
Back to the real stuff, tips for this week.

Beauy over Bedes
Collegians over Panthers
Cards over Blues
Bernies over Blacks
Xavs over De La... just

Few students bored in the dorms I think...
Back to the real stuff, tips for this week.

Beauy over Bedes
Collegians over Panthers
Cards over Blues
Bernies over Blacks
Xavs over De La... just

Bedes over Beauy
Collegians over Carey
Scotch over Blues
Bernard's over Blacks
De La over Xavs

SBMT
Colls
Scotch
Blacks
Xavs

Interesting late recruit for the Wesley crew..played up forward for Queenscliff past two seasons helping win 2 flags but was recruited by East Geelong over the summer on what be a very good package..then made a move last week to Collegians..newspaper story says he is working in Melbourne as a lawyer...

SBMT
Colls
Scotch
Blacks
Xavs

Interesting late recruit for the Wesley crew..played up forward for Queenscliff past two seasons helping win 2 flags but was recruited by East Geelong over the summer on what be a very good package..then made a move last week to Collegians..newspaper story says he is working in Melbourne as a lawyer...

Outasite, which newspaper? Sounds like a good pickup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back