Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s gone awfully quiet on here since Beaumaris dropped a few games. In an effort to try and get some football talk how about some views on the efforts of De La Salle so far. Written off before the season started they lost their full forward, CHF, CHB, 1st and 2nd choice ruckmen, 2 champion midfielders and their best utility. A group that has a drawer full of big V jumpers, B & F’s and an even a recent Woodrow medal. The finally land a big name who lasts 2 minutes and is gone for the season and several other regulars are either long term injured or having delayed starts to the season. They get the toughest of all season openers - Xavs at Toorak Park which they win after being 2 goals down at the 25 min mark of the last and played all bar 5 minutes of the game with 20 players. Have had 4 really tight games and have managed to win them all.

A remarkable effort to be where they are. Not saying 5 rounds makes a season and anything can happen but with no big names or ex AFL or VFL ‘stars’ it might send a message to a couple of other clubs about the value of having a decent U19 program and developing from within. Might not win them an ‘A’ grade flag this year but at least it seems to sustain a club with a relatively small feeder school as a competitive unit in the top grade.

It’s gone awfully quiet on here since Beaumaris dropped a few games. In an effort to try and get some football talk how about some views on the efforts of De La Salle so far. Written off before the season started they lost their full forward, CHF, CHB, 1st and 2nd choice ruckmen, 2 champion midfielders and their best utility. A group that has a drawer full of big V jumpers, B & F’s and an even a recent Woodrow medal. The finally land a big name who lasts 2 minutes and is gone for the season and several other regulars are either long term injured or having delayed starts to the season. They get the toughest of all season openers - Xavs at Toorak Park which they win after being 2 goals down at the 25 min mark of the last and played all bar 5 minutes of the game with 20 players. Have had 4 really tight games and have managed to win them all.

A remarkable effort to be where they are. Not saying 5 rounds makes a season and anything can happen but with no big names or ex AFL or VFL ‘stars’ it might send a message to a couple of other clubs about the value of having a decent U19 program and developing from within. Might not win them an ‘A’ grade flag this year but at least it seems to sustain a club with a relatively small feeder school as a competitive unit in the top grade.
It seems as though you may be using a little poetic license in saying that their best 9 are now out. However, its still a fine achievement to be sitting at 5-0.

There are however some sleeping giants in premier this year. Minus maybe Carey, I think we are going to see one of the tightest years we have seen in a while. When these sort of years come along, points on the board at the start of the year are crucial.

Agree with your sentiments around building from within. I think most of us would agree, the AFL/VFL players are only cream on the top.

On another note, how many sausage rolls is Nick Smith going to kick this year? Certainly played a couple of handy games now!

It seems as though you may be using a little poetic license in saying that their best 9 are now out. However, its still a fine achievement to be sitting at 5-0.

There are however some sleeping giants in premier this year. Minus maybe Carey, I think we are going to see one of the tightest years we have seen in a while. When these sort of years come along, points on the board at the start of the year are crucial.

Agree with your sentiments around building from within. I think most of us would agree, the AFL/VFL players are only cream on the top.

On another note, how many sausage rolls is Nick Smith going to kick this year? Certainly played a couple of handy games now!

Tell me where I have said they have their best 9 out? How can you imply that it what I said from my post? I simply pointed out that they have had some significant off-season losses, which have been mentioned by other posters on this board previously.

The whole point of the comment was that it is possible to sustain a club through a wave of major departures such as that seen at De La at the end of 2012 If you work on your depth right through the entire club, not just by focussing on your best 6 players.

Tell me where I have said they have their best 9 out? How can you imply that it what I said from my post? I simply pointed out that they have had some significant off-season losses, which have been mentioned by other posters on this board previously.

The whole point of the comment was that it is possible to sustain a club through a wave of major departures such as that seen at De La at the end of 2012 If you work on your depth right through the entire club, not just by focussing on your best 6 players.
Well I think most people would agree that your most important players are usually: Ruckmen, midfielders, Full forward, CHF, CHB, and your "Best" utility. Add in an ex AFL player, and I would say that if it happened to my club, we would be losing our best 8/9 players.

Well I think most people would agree that your most important players are usually: Ruckmen, midfielders, Full forward, CHF, CHB, and your "Best" utility. Add in an ex AFL player, and I would say that if it happened to my club, we would be losing our best 8/9 players.

Well you might say it but I never did! I just stated fact and no ‘poetic licence’ used. The utility in question is Leigh Harrison. VAFA followers would know how good he is. Happy to name the others if you wish but at no stage did I say that they had lost their best 9 players. FWIW I reckon their best 2 players are their bookends – Sam Pickett at one end and Tom Humphrey at the other. (Actually you can add young Jake Williams to that list to round out their best 3)

Anyway – moving on. Surprised to see Scotch ressies get done by 100 points on the weekend. A few more injuries and their depth might really be tested. Neaves a huge loss for them.

Just browsing through the Clearances on the EFL Web Site and noticed that Carl Peterson has applied for a clearance to Doncaster East. Is that the Carl Peterson from Old Carey?

Careys stuffed. 0-20 through 1's, 2's, 3's and unders.
Did well to get up to A as they are a smaller co-ed school but it seems they are destined for a free fall back to the lower grades with current effort.
Anyone from Carey wish to shed any light on how an 0-20 start happened and what's gone wrong??

0-23 if you include their school first 18, they also insist that the school 2nds play against other schools thirds, and guess what, they haven't won a game in 2 years.

On the totem pole to D grade which is probably their rightful position.

Last time I looked Skevs were in B grade, although I fear that they will be the next VAFA power club.

Whilst we are at it, Wesley not too flash this year either, nor are Xavier.

Xavs will finish top or top 2. They have got a few goods to come back in. Great depth in 2's and unders.
Collegians have lost a lot.3

I won't include that, otherwise we will have too many Skevvy fans highlighting recent past glories.
So 2014 not looking like a good feeder year for the Panthers.

To add fuel to that fire. Apparently Carey unable to field a year 10 football side this year. That doesnt bode well for future reference. Amazing really considering they have 4-5 blokes drafted last year and 2-3 of them were home bred. (Minus viney)

Big call on Skobs being an A grade power house. Dont you need to be a B Grade power house first?

Wesley no good and Xavs no good. Hahaha, obviously a new comer to the top flight.

Depth is the key to success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

River man and You Heard Me - I think Getoverit was talking about their school sides not old boy teams.

I have been saying it for a couple of years, Old Carey are a B Grade Club, they will be back there in no time and they will eventually end up in C Grade with PEGS and Marcelin.

River man and You Heard Me - I think Getoverit was talking about their school sides not old boy teams.

I have been saying it for a couple of years, Old Carey are a B Grade Club, they will be back there in no time and they will eventually end up in C Grade with PEGS and Marcelin.

Small correction - Carey unders won last week.
Carey have had a great last 2 years in A. It looks like it will not enter a 4th year in 2014 and Carey will in fact head back down. All clubs in A grade, are A grade clubs, particularly those who play 3 seasons in succession.
After 60 years it took this long for Carey to get there and at least they will now realise what it will take to get back and stay for a long stretch. Better relationship with School, better Under 19 program and most importantly more people prepared to help out and spread the load. Far too much done by far too few. You can only learn these lessons from experience and experience has been gained.
Good Luck!

All set up for a top of the table clash between the two Gold & Navy teams next week at Banksia. Great to see some of the old timers from Beaumaris such as Dougie, Dessie, Cootie and the Axe Man getting amongst it along with the next generation. Years of youth development are now reaping the rewards for what must the strongest non-paying suburban club in Australia.
???????
A little early.

Small correction - Carey unders won last week.
Carey have had a great last 2 years in A. It looks like it will not enter a 4th year in 2014 and Carey will in fact head back down. All clubs in A grade, are A grade clubs, particularly those who play 3 seasons in succession.
After 60 years it took this long for Carey to get there and at least they will now realise what it will take to get back and stay for a long stretch. Better relationship with School, better Under 19 program and most importantly more people prepared to help out and spread the load. Far too much done by far too few. You can only learn these lessons from experience and experience has been gained.
Good Luck!

Each to their own.

Still they have not had 1 win in the firsts, seconds or thirds all year, must be a horrible place to be at the moment, gotta feel for them.

In other news how well are uni Blacks travelling, all credit to them, My early preditction is Sharks and Old Carey will drop this year and Xav's will take it out, gee they look good

Each to their own.

Still they have not had 1 win in the firsts, seconds or thirds all year, must be a horrible place to be at the moment, gotta feel for them.

In other news how well are uni Blacks travelling, all credit to them, My early preditction is Sharks and Old Carey will drop this year and Xav's will take it out, gee they look good

Yep, I agree. Xavs are the team to beat. Teams that got them early in the piece should consider themselves very lucky! In saying that, they are not unbeatable. The Blues should have got them the week before last.

I'm still finding it hard to get a good read on most teams. Beauy started well, but seem to have dropped off a little. Blacks are winning, but only just. Blues beat the Blacks but don't seem to be getting up for other teams. Collegians and Scotch a little up and down. Bernies are heavily reliant on Bentick and appear to be a little off the pace this year.

Each to their own.

Saw Uni Blues on sat, The only way N Smith could have got near the ball was in cab. He just wont run and chase. I was very surprised by their lack of effort and therefore so little pressure. If this is a "true" Uni Blues performance, they will br closer to the bottom than top at the end of year.

Blacks over Carey - Will be another tight battle for the blacks but they look as though they like the close ones.
Collegians over Scotch - Was a hard one to pick. Scotch have numbers back and picked up yet another ex AFL player. Collegians still just a little good for them though. I think Scotch will make a massive run at it after the bye.
Blues over Beauy - Blues will rebound and Beauy have stuttered a little in the past few weeks.
Xavs over Bernards - Xavs seem to be hitting their straps. No surprise really. Have Bernards won at home this year?
De La Salle over SBMT - SBMT have been on the improve but De La are a very handy side this year.

All has been a little quiet this week. Hopefully a few good games over the weekend will reinvigorate the forum!

what a game it was down at the snake pit!

although umpiring decisions never decide a game...

a few decisions were absolutely disgraceful!! and gave xavs the lead

if bernards can produce that kind of footy week in week out then they should be able to find themselves above the bottom half

Merrington was great. Crowd is awful down there. Real bogan element. Thought Snowdogs had the run of the umps and Xavs class got them over the line in spite of this.
Blues to go down with Carey on this weeks evidence.

Last year I took a school group to st Bernard's for acc sport. When we were leaving a st Bernard's student threw an apple from the top of the hill at us, clocking a female staff member in the head.

When I quickly reported this to one of the schools staff, they called the student over who just adamantly denied it. Teacher just let him go.

Bad culture is taught early at the snake pit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier A - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back