A Section Premier section 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, how are your Lions looking? Big numbers or just plugging away with quality over quantity? Any news across the section?

Lions are looking strong and with many well rested as well as fit and firing bodies, the Lions will be on the prowl again in 2021.

I would suspect given our squad size that we will have a stronger side than in 2019 due to a greater number of full time players playing with the club as opposed to VFL players, who have come in since 2019.

David Mirra will be the competition's pre-eminent centre half back and I would suspect to see a lot of Josh Prudden (26) (ex Western Bulldogs) and Alex Morgan (25) (ex North and Essendon) in the midfield to compliment Michie and Hibbins.

Throw in the likes of Oliver Jones who was travelling in 2019 and my Lions have added a good core that can challenge in September.

I see Old Xavs have appointed Marcus Stavrou as captain. For a 22 year old at a big club like Xavs that is a big call to make but probably from the outside looking in, a good strategic one and probably a sign that the younger crew there have been stepping up and putting their stance on the club there after the last few seasons aside from 2019 where they have underperformed.

Some interesting comings and going’s on the VAFA clearances page for Premier teams.

Lions are looking strong and with many well rested as well as fit and firing bodies, the Lions will be on the prowl again in 2021.

I would suspect given our squad size that we will have a stronger side than in 2019 due to a greater number of full time players playing with the club as opposed to VFL players, who have come in since 2019.

David Mirra will be the competition's pre-eminent centre half back and I would suspect to see a lot of Josh Prudden (26) (ex Western Bulldogs) and Alex Morgan (25) (ex North and Essendon) in the midfield to compliment Michie and Hibbins.

Throw in the likes of Oliver Jones who was travelling in 2019 and my Lions have added a good core that can challenge in September.

I see Old Xavs have appointed Marcus Stavrou as captain. For a 22 year old at a big club like Xavs that is a big call to make but probably from the outside looking in, a good strategic one and probably a sign that the younger crew there have been stepping up and putting their stance on the club there after the last few seasons aside from 2019 where they have underperformed.
Thanks Mike, I also noticed that some of the better players who have pulled on a Lions jumper in recent years have departed, including the little champion Lachie Ferguson.

Thanks Mike, I also noticed that some of the better players who have pulled on a Lions jumper in recent years have departed, including the little champion Lachie Ferguson.

Ferguson and Will Johnson will not be in purple and gold in 2021, however I believe there will be more than enough players coming through and recruits to make up for the departures.

I have noted that the transfer page seems to have been a lot quieter heading into season 2021 than in previous years.

G O. Yes, he has departed, playing down Gippsland way I believe. Best game he ever played that I saw was when he kicked
9 goals against Skobs at the Trott one night, 3 - 4 years ago. He was never off his feet. A smaller version of Leigh Mathews,
although he never bashed anyone off the ball or behind the play like Mathews did....

Ferguson and Will Johnson will not be in purple and gold in 2021, however I believe there will be more than enough players coming through and recruits to make up for the departures.

I have noted that the transfer page seems to have been a lot quieter heading into season 2021 than in previous years.
Very good point re transfers Mike, I wonder how many from 2020 hung around when we had that flood of players coming in when we were the last competition standing?

Tommy Sheridan joins Collegians for the love of the game. Amazing how so many of these ex AFL players rediscover their love for the game in VAFA premier!

Tommy Sheridan joins Collegians for the love of the game. Amazing how so many of these ex AFL players rediscover their love for the game in VAFA premier!

So playing footy with his good mate and former teammate Viv Michie is too much for you to comprehend is it?

Another great addition to Collegians and the competition.

The Lions will have one hell of a midfield with Michie, Sheridan, Morgan, Hibbins running through there.

So playing footy with his good mate and former teammate Viv Michie is too much for you to comprehend is it?

Another great addition to Collegians and the competition.

The Lions will have one hell of a midfield with Michie, Sheridan, Morgan, Hibbins running through there.

Going to be some great line ups this year. I think it's great for the comp providing they all immerse themselves in the clubs they are playing for and usually they do or they don't last

Give it a rest, if your club gets out of C grade you might have the same thing happen to you. In the meantime, if you don’t have something nice to say........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was not sure whether to post on A or B board but seems to be more interest here. De La played Uni Blues at the Essendon yesterday. Was not there so only reporting what I am told and others may have a more accurate picture. Generally a close, high-quality game and De La actually had their nose in front at the last break. Blues found another gear in the last won by around 5 - 6 goals in the end. I am advised they had a very strong side including all of their new ex AFL recruits.

Pleased my club tested themselves against the strongest club in the VAFA and from all accounts put up a good showing (for 3 quarters at least) with lots of first choice players missing. No doubt Blues missing plenty as well. De La won 2s and 19s comfortably. Our 2nd U19 team play Ormond today and next week the whole club is playing Scotch.

Uni Blues making an absolute mockery of this comp. Understand they had 11 ex-AFL players on their books last year and have now added Hugh Goddard, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Alex Fasolo and Ed Vickers-Willis. Not sure how this can happen in an Amateur comp with a points cap but good luck to them I suppose. Helps to have friends in the highest of high places.

Have heard however that while their top end talent is elite (in fact the best we have ever seen or are likely to see) their depth is completely shot to bits. Their reserves barely scored in praccy game against an B grade team last weekend. Unusual as they have always had strong reserves teams. If and when the good times end it might be rapid descent.

Uni Blues making an absolute mockery of this comp. Understand they had 11 ex-AFL players on their books last year and have now added Hugh Goddard, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Alex Fasolo and Ed Vickers-Willis. Not sure how this can happen in an Amateur comp with a points cap but good luck to them I suppose. Helps to have friends in the highest of high places.

Have heard however that while their top end talent is elite (in fact the best we have ever seen or are likely to see) their depth is completely shot to bits. Their reserves barely scored in praccy game against an B grade team last weekend. Unusual as they have always had strong reserves teams. If and when the good times end it might be rapid descent.

That's extraordinary in terms of number of ex-AFL. Whilst much has been made of my club (SKOB) and its imports in recent years, when we won our A-Grade flags we still had a minimum of 18-19 home-grown players in the premiership sides, the exact figure for both flags I don't have on me but I know it was no more than 4 imports, pretty reasonable in today's recruiting world.

That's extraordinary in terms of number of ex-AFL. Whilst much has been made of my club (SKOB) and its imports in recent years, when we won our A-Grade flags we still had a minimum of 18-19 home-grown players in the premiership sides, the exact figure for both flags I don't have on me but I know it was no more than 4 imports, pretty reasonable in today's recruiting world.
I was at your last flag and was shocked how young they were . This Uni stuff could destroy the competition .

I wouldn't like to be an opposition forward lining up on him this season. He will be one of the recruits of the year.
You Collegians boys are funny. Have you seen the huge units Uni Blues have recruited in Grimley and Goddard?

There’s also a 6ft 8 former number one draft pick premiership player in his prime who is the most expensive player in AFL history playing in the comp with his team mate mate Jarrad Waite.

Cool the jets on Collegians, we are all on your side in terms of taking down Uni Blues and their absurd list build and structure, but usually you guys talk a big game and don’t win anything when it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back