Old MelburniansOld MelburniansOld Xaverians
1st SEMIFINAL
ELSTERNWICK 11:40am SAT 3/9
vsvs
Old ScotchOld ScotchOld Scotch
St Bernards

Last edited:
Where would you rather them play? 95% of them have been students at the schools

The same place they did 10 years ago. Filter through to the lower divisions through connections at those clubs.
My club lost our reserves leading goalkicker halfway through the year to OX when they got their 2nd U23's added to the comp which guaranteed him a game there every week but hurt us.

The same place they did 10 years ago. Filter through to the lower divisions through connections at those clubs.
My club lost our reserves leading goalkicker halfway through the year to OX when they got their 2nd U23's added to the comp which guaranteed him a game there every week but hurt us.
That's the thought of thing i'm on about.

Couldn't agree more Champ/Chump.
As these clubs continue to get bigger with players of no value to them running around in their U23's 2nds or U19's 3rds, the district clubs get weaker and will slowly die off.
There are players in the U23s comp who are walk up start senior A grade players. Xavs would have half a dozen at least

There are players in the U23s comp who are walk up start senior A grade players. Xavs would have half a dozen at least
So it says alot about the club doesn't it that they'd prefer to play with mates than leave just to play senior footy? It's obviously not all about what level but more about their culture and playing with mates maybe?

So it says alot about the club doesn't it that they'd prefer to play with mates than leave just to play senior footy? It's obviously not all about what level but more about their culture and playing with mates maybe?
It does and I doubt anyone disrespects the programs that those clubs have built.
There's a delicate balance to it all IMO & It's an issue that transcends Ammos vs Paying comps & Metro vs Country.
There just isn't the same levels of participation at junior levels & while the large clubs absorb a significant amount of the talent pool, on the current trajectory, it calls into question the long term viability of some of the smaller clubs.
Is it a good thing that a SKOB's, Aberfeldie etc has 3 clubs at u19 level if the club down the road going under means that they have no one to play against?
Obviously it's an alarmist take but you get the point.

It does and I doubt anyone disrespects the programs that those clubs have built.
There's a delicate balance to it all IMO & It's an issue that transcends Ammos vs Paying comps & Metro vs Country.
There just isn't the same levels of participation at junior levels & while the large clubs absorb a significant amount of the talent pool, on the current trajectory, it calls into question the long term viability of some of the smaller clubs.
Is it a good thing that a SKOB's, Aberfeldie etc has 3 clubs at u19 level if the club down the road going under means that they have no one to play against?
Obviously it's an alarmist take but you get the point.
As I see it and it doesn't impact me at all....it's a VAFA issue to deal with. In the case of OX or SKOBS, I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing....they are obviously clubs men and women are attracted to for a litany of reasons. But if the powers in charge allow it, then its their issue to fix.

Having been involved at junior levels for some years, kids will gravitate to either their local club if no school affiliation or the club they have a link to.....but imo, the clubs who miss out for what reason on whether a player chooses them or SKOBS for example....then that's their issue. Promote, network better to be more attractive when helping them get a job....hopefully you get my point. SKOBS were no where years ago and got their shyte together.

As I see it and it doesn't impact me at all....it's a VAFA issue to deal with. In the case of OX or SKOBS, I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing....they are obviously clubs men and women are attracted to for a litany of reasons. But if the powers in charge allow it, then its their issue to fix.

Having been involved at junior levels for some years, kids will gravitate to either their local club if no school affiliation or the club they have a link to.....but imo, the clubs who miss out for what reason on whether a player chooses them or SKOBS for example....then that's their issue. Promote, network better to be more attractive when helping them get a job....hopefully you get my point. SKOBS were no where years ago and got their sh*te together.
Good luck to them , but the size of the networks of these old boys clubs can't be matched . Beaumaris did fantastic to get to A , but it can't be sustained , even with great juniors , but then the bullshit Saturday school footy kicks in . Play them on a Wednesday like the others.

Having been involved at junior levels for some years, kids will gravitate to either their local club if no school affiliation or the club they have a link to.....but imo, the clubs who miss out for what reason on whether a player chooses them or SKOBS for example....then that's their issue. Promote, network better to be more attractive when helping them get a job....hopefully you get my point. SKOBS were no where years ago and got their sh*te together.
As I noted, the issue is greater than the VAFA & it's clubs - many other competitions boards are engaging in an almost identical dialogue . Whilst it's great that SKOBs have gotten their affairs in order, given the profile of the school it isn't the same thing as a district or rural club getting to the same point, let's not kid ourselves.

Good luck to them , but the size of the networks of these old boys clubs can't be matched . Beaumaris did fantastic to get to A , but it can't be sustained , even with great juniors , but then the bullshit Saturday school footy kicks in . Play them on a Wednesday like the others.
Yeah but every club has a network to utilise from, but it's who runs that part of the club and the time and effort put in, the reaching out and imo....the culture a club projects is very important. It's more than jobs these days.

Yeah but every club has a network to utilise from, but it's who runs that part of the club and the time and effort put in, the reaching out and imo....the culture a club projects is very important. It's more than jobs these days.
Don't some now have people full time ?

Don't some now have people full time ?

Only a few do. While I don't 100% disagree with you Bedford, why is it that Old Trinity are in A Grade and PEGS, Peninsula & Old Camberwell are in D? All are AGS schools with networks.

If it's just the APS schools, why is Old Geelong not up there?

Private school networks have some advantage but only if they are cultivated and worked on, it doesn't just happen.

Only a few do. While I don't 100% disagree with you Bedford, why is it that Old Trinity are in A Grade and PEGS, Peninsula & Old Camberwell are in D? All are AGS schools with networks.

If it's just the APS schools, why is Old Geelong not up there?

Private school networks have some advantage but only if they are cultivated and worked on, it doesn't just happen.
Your people put a fair bit in to recruiting that's for sure . I did say full credit to them for getting there

Your people put a fair bit in to recruiting that's for sure . I did say full credit to them for getting there

We are still predominantly Caulfield lads. I think we only have 4 lads in the senior squad who didn't go to Caulfield.

I think Brighton are the standout on this front, they played a few senior games this year on 22 points.

Both of us made the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why you have such a gripe with APS schools playing sport on a Saturday, it's their right to if they want.

Also, it is imperative on clubs to band together and stick out the journey. 10 years ago SKOB was in Premier B and was stuck there for 10 years after previously floating between A and B grade. Good luck to them. Look back 40 years ago and Xavs were far from the power they are today. Things can turn, but they take time and effort.

Collegians (my club) 20 years ago was in the middle of C grade and looking south after having won 3 A grade flags and playing in another 4 losing A grade grand finals from 1986-1996. Ormond were in the same boat as us, literally the same boat!

All of a sudden, through sheer hard work of some terrific people off field, an astute young coach and a young group of exciting players, our club ended up in A grade again in 2005 (lost B and C grand finals in 2003 and 2004) after struggling in C grade in 2002. Then we got relegated, won B grade in 2006 and have been in Premier / A section ever since. It did not happen by fluke or accident, it happened through sheer hard work. Sure, networks help, but last time I checked, getting a couple of ex AFL players nice jobs doesn't always lead to success at a football club, it takes buy in.

I would say they should play where they want too and if that's with their school mates in the 3rd under 19's team or a senior Thirds team then that's great and I hope they enjoy it - absolutely.

All I am highlighting is that IF we have that many teams at individual clubs there IS an impact on lower divisions that was not around 10+ years ago that the VAFA head office may need to consider. Maybe? :)

Chump.

Suggesting social engineering maybe the answer now C or C?

I'm not sure why you have such a gripe with APS schools playing sport on a Saturday, it's their right to if they want.

Also, it is imperative on clubs to band together and stick out the journey. 10 years ago SKOB was in Premier B and was stuck there for 10 years after previously floating between A and B grade. Good luck to them. Look back 40 years ago and Xavs were far from the power they are today. Things can turn, but they take time and effort.

Collegians (my club) 20 years ago was in the middle of C grade and looking south after having won 3 A grade flags and playing in another 4 losing A grade grand finals from 1986-1996. Ormond were in the same boat as us, literally the same boat!

All of a sudden, through sheer hard work of some terrific people off field, an astute young coach and a young group of exciting players, our club ended up in A grade again in 2005 (lost B and C grand finals in 2003 and 2004) after struggling in C grade in 2002. Then we got relegated, won B grade in 2006 and have been in Premier / A section ever since. It did not happen by fluke or accident, it happened through sheer hard work. Sure, networks help, but last time I checked, getting a couple of ex AFL players nice jobs doesn't always lead to success at a football club, it takes buy in.

I agree with ALL that is being discussed in relation to these matters and respect the varying views. There is no short cut to success, as so many clubs have showcased in several of the individual case studies put forward on this forum. It's hard work, networks and in some instances school connections help. I am not denying any of that nor do I begrudge those that have done/continue to do the hard work.

My point is that the butterfly effect on many lower division clubs from the decision to increase the number of teams individual clubs can have is real. It IS having a significant impact on many of the lower divisional clubs, especially district clubs. I do not expect any club who has done all the hard work to want to reduce their team numbers and hand players to other clubs. Absolutely not. It is just highlighting OUR competition has an issue before it and IF nothing is done about it then clubs will need to fold, merge or change competitions. And IF they go to competitions where players can be paid ...... then it may not just be the 'bottom end' they look to encourage to play with them.

I'm an advocate for the VAFA with over 25+ years personal experience and having played and been involved in the upper grades all the way down to lower. It's a great competition, but it has a challenge before it that will see it lose lower division clubs in the coming years unless something changes.

Thanks for the chatter everyone ............. I'm going to toddle off back to D2 and hopefully help us get back up a grade or two in the coming years as it was nice to play on the best grounds, against the best clubs, with a full compliment of umpires back in the day :)

Chump.

We are still predominantly Caulfield lads. I think we only have 4 lads in the senior squad who didn't go to Caulfield.

I think Brighton are the standout on this front, they played a few senior games this year on 22 points.

They have 2 from Ormond , 1 with a job that we couldn't match.

Not denying anything Mike , all good points , but like the way Chump puts it .

SKOBAFL also played with 22 points this year and top 4 team. It will very hard to dislodge this years top 4. Player points cap irrelevant to all of them.

SKOBAFL also played with 22 points this year and top 4 team. It will very hard to dislodge this years top 4. Player points cap irrelevant to all of them.
Shall be an interesting 2022. I'd have OX, OB and Caulfield ahead of SKOBAFL. Uni Blues will improve and possibly rekindle their 2019 premiership form, Collegians injury free will challenge. Six into four doesn't go but one thing for sure is SKOBAFL will be hoping they don't fall off the ledge after sacking their coach.

Shall be an interesting 2022. I'd have OX, OB and Caulfield ahead of SKOBAFL. Uni Blues will improve and possibly rekindle their 2019 premiership form, Collegians injury free will challenge. Six into four doesn't go but one thing for sure is SKOBAFL will be hoping they don't fall off the ledge after sacking their coach.
Caulfield have had a couple retire and a couple big names gone

I still see the main sides that will challenge for the flag in 2022 as

Xavs - very strong across all lines and have great depth
SKOB - See Xavs description
Caulfield - Seem to have really found their feet in A grade, playing good football and have a strong list with depth. Only query on them is that Brett Eddy will be a massive hole to fill for them.
Brighton - They will again be strong and their best players will all be in that 23-27 age bracket, the best time to strike for a flag.
OMs - They teased this year, but with some more consistency they will be up there.
Collegians - Coming off a tough season, hopefully a few less injuries in 2022 and the Lions will bounce back

I still see the main sides that will challenge for the flag in 2022 as

Xavs - very strong across all lines and have great depth
SKOB - See Xavs description
Caulfield - Seem to have really found their feet in A grade, playing good football and have a strong list with depth. Only query on them is that Brett Eddy will be a massive hole to fill for them.
Brighton - They will again be strong and their best players will all be in that 23-27 age bracket, the best time to strike for a flag.
OMs - They teased this year, but with some more consistency they will be up there.
Collegians - Coming off a tough season, hopefully a few less injuries in 2022 and the Lions will bounce back

I'm hoping my boys can continue 2021 form into 2022.

Brett Eddy kicked 25 goals in 9 games, however 13 of the goals were in 2 games against Old Trinity. In the big close games he wasn't as dominant as his reputation and historical form would suggest. He also didn't play in the arguably the 2 best wins against Old Xavs and Old Brighton. Dobosz, Stewart and Morrisby ain't big names in comparison but are all big strong forwards who delivered in games against the better sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back