Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, this is a young playing group, and most young people have left leaning politics.

ROB is probably an outlier there, but I'm sure it's not coming up as an issue
Most young people couldn't GAF and 99% of them wouldn't know who TF he was.

missus and I went through a fruit tingle stage in our mid 20s. Bloody awesome drink, might make sure we've got the ingredients for Xmas day. Thanks for the reminder.
Not bad. Toblerones and Espresso Martinis are pretty good too in addition to the usual icy cold Coopers.

there's a bit more to rating a midfield than clearance differential. We were the worst midfield in the comp, breaking even at clearance numbers doesn't change that.
I think clearance differential is pretty important, but agree not everything. The best alternative stats for me are marks inside 50 (ie not just thumping the ball forward) or goal assists (making sure the marks aren't in rubbish goal kicking positions). Our midfield wasn't "worst in league" in either of these stats.

We were the 12th ranked team for average clearance differential (-0.5) in 2022, better than GWS (-1.4), North (-1.7), Richmond (-2.8), Collingwood (-4.4), West Coast (-4.9) and Hawthorn (-6.8).

We were the 13th ranked team for average marks inside 50 (10.0), better than Hawthorn (9.8), GWS (9.7), Fremantle (9.2), West Coast (9.0) and North (8.2).

We were also the 13th ranked team for average goal assists (7.6), equal with Hawthorn and better than Saints (7.3), GWS (7.2), West Coast (6.5) and North (5.6).

So North, West Coast, GWS and Hawthorn clearly have worse midfields than us. We're also the youngest team in the comp and our most experienced mid couldn't hit a forward target if his life depended on it. So we should get better over the next couple of years (but need a blue chip mid that can create goals).

And a whisky sour for me, as we appear to have changed topics.

I’m just about to crack a little creatures cerveza. I bought the 10 can mixed pack on the way home from golf yesterday. I just finished the 2 pale ales, so going backwards to cerveza is not smart. But they’re the only beers left in the fridge.
Sitting in a small pub right now in west devon and having a dartmoor brewery jail ale in the lead up to the world cup final..can't get better than that for me..its a balmy 6 degrees here which is up from freezing for the last week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure why people take exception to this. We’re almost certainly a bottom 6 side, so a few will predict bottom couple. Although I was surprised at the number that selected us as spooners last year given how bad Roos were clearly going to be.

No problem with the media suggesting we are a bottom 6 side.

For me the issue is where the regression comes from?

In the last 13 seasons there have been 26 bottom 2 teams. 22 of those teams have won 4 or less games.

We have won 7 & 8 games the last two years, didn't lose anyone from 2022 and gained Rankine. We have stability with a head coach that has been there for 3 straight years (4 preseasons) in addition to adding the best fitness guy in the game.

I just for the life of me don't understand the rationale behind suggesting we win 4 less games than we did in 2022.

Last edited:

In the last 13 seasons there have been 26 bottom 2 teams. 22 of those teams have won 4 or less games.

We have won 7 & 8 games the last two years, didn't lose anyone from 2022 and gained Rachele. We have stability with a head coach that has been there for 3 straight years (4 preseasons) in addition to adding the best fitness guy in the game.

I just for the life of me don't understand the rationale behind suggesting we win 4 less games than we did in 2022.
Rankine perhaps but yes I agree

We have won 7 & 8 games the last two years, didn't lose anyone from 2022 and gained Rankine. We have stability with a head coach that has been there for 3 straight years (4 preseasons) in addition to adding the best fitness guy in the game.

Rankine. ;)

Agree with your post as we will have a higher number of players pass 50 games

Yeh, but I’m soft. I still remember the times when European backpackers filled all the F&B and accommodation jobs and the place was amazing. Our first Christmas Day in ‘98 we drove our Kombi to Ellery creek big hole. We were largely there by ourselves most of the day until a bloke started playing didge half way up the western cliff. It was absolutely awesome. We then spent the next few hours with him and his brother. Amazing life experience.
That would have been awesome

That’s only 1 side of the discussion though. It’s as much about what competitors do as well. Say they get extra and we don’t beat port or dogs. Now we’re in the convo abs it’s very much a judgement call. Last year there’s no way any normal person should have predicted Roos above us. But even though I reckon we’ll be 5th or 6th bottom, there’s no club that I’d be supremely confident we’ll finish ahead of. I’d have to know as much about them as I do us, and I do t have that depth of knowledge for bottom 6 teams.

That’s only 1 side of the discussion though. It’s as much about what competitors do as well. Say they get extra and we don’t beat port or dogs. Now we’re in the convo abs it’s very much a judgement call. Last year there’s no way any normal person should have predicted Roos above us. But even though I reckon we’ll be 5th or 6th bottom, there’s no club that I’d be supremely confident we’ll finish ahead of. I’d have to know as much about them as I do us, and I do t have that depth of knowledge for bottom 6 teams.

Teams around us on the ladder - North, West Coast, Essendon, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn.

Have 5 of them improved significantly more than we have to make us bottom 2?

Teams around us on the ladder - North, West Coast, Essendon, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn.

Have 5 of them improved significantly more than we have to make us bottom 2?
Lets not forget Saints, Bulldogs and probably Tigers and Blues that are on the edge and could go either way. Quite possible they fall backwards in '23.

The elephant in the room is Matthew Nicks. After all, coaching stability can be as much of a negative as it is a positive, especially for a losing side as there is nothing worse for a coaches message than constant losing. Once a coach message stales out, teams have a nasty habit of plummeting, especially sides who are young and reliant on effort.

If he's good enough to keep the group driven and on-edge, and our key players stay healthy, the rest should sort itself out with us improving this year. I'm decently confident that he is good enough.

Last edited:
The elephant in the room is Matthew Nicks. After all, coaching stability can be as much of a negative as it is a positive, especially for a losing side as there is nothing worse for a coaches message than constant losing. Once a coach message stales out, teams have a nasty habit of plummeting, especially sides who are young and reliant on effort.

Agree.

If he's good enough to keep the group driven and on-edge, and our key players stay healthy, the rest should sort itself out with us improving this year. I'm decently confident that he is good enough.

I disagree. I don't think he is good enough.

Exciting 2023. We should find out.

These so called media experts likely couldn't name a dozen of our players. They aren't interested in the crows and naming us a bottom 2 side is easier for them than telling the truth about a Victorian side and copping grief from their supporters. Even though I don't rate Nick's we aren't going backwards, we are only getting better. I think we I'll finish anywhere from 10th to 13th.

Last edited:
I’d argue Nicks has done a very good job squeezing the best out of a putrid list. When the list (namely the midfield) is this shit, you want consistent effort as the baseline. Nicks has manufactured that, along with what looks like a galvanised group. there are some green shoots. Nicks’ real test is whether he can turn them into something that will turn this club into a regular finals side. I’m backing him in, along with what looks to be a stable footy department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back