Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

we lost by 50, thats not a competitive performance, pre season or not

we could not transition the ball d50 to f50

midfield beaten around clearance

warning signs
Well technically we won the clearances.

But also take away 1/3 of any teams best 22 and pit them against a full strength team and see how they go.

You'd expect that bringing in Walker and Wagner will give us a lot more run out of d50, and bringing in four of our first choice forwards will give us at least an extra four goals on the board.

warning signs
The thing is, we won the clearances comfortably. I might force myself to rewatch again, but I actually think the forward line was so disastrously bad and lacking in talent that it made the midfield look worse than it was. They legitimately couldn’t win a contest and Port aren’t exactly world beaters down there.

Treacy and Sturt were just horrific, Tabs is not at the level anymore, and the others were ok without being world beaters. I’m actually staggered at what Treacy and Sturt showed tonight, like, my gawd…

warning signs
Freo won the clearances 35 to 28.

The problem was what we did with it after we won the clearance.

The thing is, we won the clearances comfortably. I might force myself to rewatch again, but I actually think the forward line was so disastrously bad and lacking in talent that it made the midfield look worse than it was. They legitimately couldn’t win a contest and Port aren’t exactly world beaters down there.

Treacy and Sturt were just horrific, Tabs is not at the level anymore, and the others were ok without being world beaters. I’m actually staggered at what Treacy and Sturt showed tonight, like, my gawd…
Tabs, Reidy, and Sturt gave away 12 free kicks between them. Hard to get anything locked in your front half when you keep handing it back to the oppo.

We did also lose the inside 50 count and it did feel like when we were kicking inside 50 it was straight to Port defenders. So I guess the question is was that because the forwards were being beaten or not being where they were supposed to be. Or bad delivery.

Yeah exactly!! Not having a decent target to kick to forces a turnover.

You can't tell me that not having Jackson, Amiss, Freddy and Emmett down there wouldn't have made a difference.

We did also lose the inside 50 count and it did feel like when we were kicking inside 50 it was straight to Port defenders. So I guess the question is was that because the forwards were being beaten or not being where they were supposed to be. Or bad delivery.
The forwards couldn't halve a contest to save their lives. It's not that we were kicking is straight to Port (at least most of the time) it's that our forwards had no idea what to do with themselves.

Did Port sit someone on Clark? I hope the number one lesson learnt from this that maybe individually, Worner and Hughes are marginally better all round players than a Wagner but that backline needs more pace in it. Short of injury, two of Wagner, Clark and Walker are needed every game, no excuse. Particularly if Cox isn’t playing who helps with rebound because he makes good decisions and actually can move the ball quite well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I could have seen the full ground I’m sure we’d have seen the same quality of leading we have always seen from Tabs, except he’s now lost a yard of pace and the scary thing, he was the “good” player over 190cm up there. He did actually try to lead

The forwards were somehow always second to the ball in the air and even when they weren’t, gave away a free kick or just outright fumbled / turned it over. It was an absolute train wreck up there.

Our best forward in terms of halving the contest tonight was probably Voss.
Thought he started well and looked our best tall early on. Had some nice ground ball gets and tried to move the ball on quickly after a mark (not circling around and taking the full 20 seconds like tabs does) which was nice. Unsighted in the second half though.

Treacy is not a KPF. I said during the match he needs Amiss and a resting ruckman taking the two KPDs to be effective. His best work is done when the ball is in dispute and not as a lead up forward or even in a marking contest. As we saw tonight, bigger KPDs can easily work him off the ball.
So he's an inside mid then. Battle with that Tom Green.

Meh, preseason. Let's look at the positives.

1) We won the clearances against a top 3 midfield, comfortably. Use was shit afterwards and forwards were bollocks, but Freddie, Emmett, Jackson and the wunderkind Amiss probably change that. Translate that to the comp and we're going to stomp most teams in this department.

2) Young's going to win a Brownlow if we end up playing finals for a few years on the bounce. He's got all the tools needed.

3) Simpson has it. **** knows what 'it' is, but he has it in spades. Another Walls' special.

Two weeks til the party starts, I think we'll go ok.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched the game
Was timekeeping the local women’s team earlier , much more entertaining game to be honest .

Sturt 👉, don’t care anymore, he’s not a footballer. Simpson, Emmet , Banfield , Erasmus ………..lots of options now , anyone but Sturt please .

Treacy made me look foolish after backing him in last week, tough defence to look good against though so I’ll give him some leeway there .

Sharp looked ok
Tabs is cooked but that’s no news

Port rattled our cage and we had no answers , absolutely wilted .

warning signs
Yep total score of 50 odd is diabolical

Ok maybe add Amiss , Freddy ,Emmet and Jackson to the team and there has to be at least 3-4 more goals there

Still only 70 odd , a bit scary .

Young kicking goals is a big positive though

At times winning the ball is the easy part, but to help with the execution of the skill it comes down to the decision making.

Decision making is often forgotten by watchers who see the crap execution of the skill, but if you don’t have teammates getting into good positions to receive the ball then the execution of the skill looks poor, when it was often the lack of options to make the best decision that was the fault.

The very good teams get what to do when they don’t have the ball, they either protect the player with the ball or get in a position to receive the ball from the ball carrier at that contest or the next. This is either by hand or foot.

When your structures are thrown out & you play a role you haven’t trained a lot for then there will be issues in getting in good positions to receive.

It’s not panic stations, but the major concern is the inability to hit the 45 often to get into dangerous positions. Tonight that was mostly a decision making issue because the options were often not there, but there was poor execution of the skill as well. We saw that from Fyfe & Clark as examples.

Hopefully a few key ins at half forward will gives us a far better structure to have those options to hit in the corridor.

The bonus is our mids finally came up against a very good opposition & realise they’ve got some work to do instead of thinking all is on track.

Sorry for the long reply, but your post triggered the above which is something we’ve been working on at community level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back