Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Oh gawd, reading through the nominated candidate's Twitter feed (Dan Rosen) beyond the typical stuff promoting Australian music as per his day job, it's a Liberal Party love-in.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't scroll very far but it mostly looked like sucking up to a funding source

Oh gawd, reading through the nominated candidate's Twitter feed (Dan Rosen) beyond the typical stuff promoting Australian music as per his day job, it's a Liberal Party love-in.

Where did you see that? All I can see is reasonably apolitical shout-outs for funding announcements, which is fairly standard practice in industry.

Probably about time we balanced the ledger though, with all the lefty freaks running clubs/banks etc now

Who cares what his political leanings are? He’s a maniac Magpies supporter who wants to use his high achieving nature to make us better!

He was top 5 last time when he interviewed by Korda and Lica, but they went with Bridie. Obviously she kept the gender balance in tact for the grant.

He’s a good chance of being President one day.

But if you don’t like him, stand up as an alternative or find some other nominees and we’ll get a vote going at the AGM. Nice to have democracy at the Club!

I'm going to put my hand up again. Very pleased the conversation around voting rights was heard last year so more members can vote.

What issues are important to you that you'd like raised with the board?

For me, some include:
  • term limits for the board
  • expand voting rights further to ensure interstate members have a say
  • increased staff for member servicing - with a jump in membership of 20% (thanks to on-field performance), we need more membership staff. Too many stories saying it is hard to reach the club.
  • improved member service at MCG - poor staffing and terrible experience just trying to get a beer as a Legends member
  • access to AIA facilities if VFL/AFLW games are played at AIA. Making fans sit outside when we have a function room is a poor experience.
  • more transparency around board elections - releasing the vote results would be a good start.
  • Collingwood media to run a Town Hall to allow and encourage discussion with candidates during the election process.

I'm going to put my hand up again. Very pleased the conversation around voting rights was heard last year so more members can vote.

For me, some include:
  • increased staff for member servicing - with a jump in membership of 20% (thanks to on-field performance), we need more membership staff. Too many stories saying it is hard to reach the club.
  • improved member service at MCG - poor staffing and terrible experience just trying to get a beer as a Legends member
  • access to AIA facilities if VFL/AFLW games are played at AIA. Making fans sit outside when we have a function room is a poor experience.
  • more transparency around board elections - releasing the vote results would be a good start.
  • Collingwood media to run a Town Hall to allow and encourage discussion with candidates during the election process.
I like it!!

Loving the ability to hear ideas and opinions from candidates like yourself and Matthew Ganley and it certainly puts the onus on Dan Rosen to put forward his case.

Refreshing to see democracy in action at Collingwood after years of autocracy.

For me, some include:
Three things I’d like to see:

A return to predominately having our VFL games at Victoria Park, from memory we only had a couple of Vic Park VFL games in ‘22. Was this a trade off with council for AFLW at Vic Park?

Some type of shade over the AIA terrace/outer wing, even shade sails would suffice. The function centre is a good option, but there’s limited space on the balcony and even less so if there’s media/officials there. You also can’t see the electronic scoreboard from the function centre, so another board would be handy.

Member surveys for important club decisions, for example changing the definition of an ordinary member. Sure the club has the power to just roll the change out, but I liked the open dialogue and chance to provide feedback that occurred briefly under Korda. It was a step backwards that this didn’t occur with the most recent change.

For me, some include:
Good on you Sean, the club needs people like you to put their hands up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean by this specifically, barrackers? :think:
The club didn’t obtain any feedback from members prior to the recent change of membership types that can vote. Last year we had a few emails asking for feedback on various things and I would have liked a similar process prior to changing who can vote. It would have been nice to have that opportunity for such a significant change.

The club didn’t obtain any feedback from members prior to the recent change of membership types that can vote. Last year we had a few emails asking for feedback on various things and I would have liked a similar process prior to changing who can vote. It would have been nice to have that opportunity for such a significant change.
There was a lot of feedback given during and after the board election to open up the voting to more members. I think it is a great move, especially welcoming back AFL & MCC members as well as wider club members from Netball & AFLW. This a vital step to being a club that does welcome all. Potentially will see the board composition be more reflective of the entire membership and have a wider pool of candidates to be eligible.

There was a lot of feedback given during and after the board election to open up the voting to more members. I think it is a great move, especially welcoming back AFL & MCC members as well as wider club members from Netball & AFLW. This a vital step to being a club that does welcome all. Potentially will see the board composition be more reflective of the entire membership and have a wider pool of candidates to be eligible.
I appreciate that feedback was given and change was needed, however the specifics in terms of categories wasn’t necessarily discussed. Hence why interstate members don’t feel it went far enough as an example.

I think it’s an important trait in management at any level to get buy in and a sense of ownership of the change before rolling change out. I think that was lacking a little on this occasion, potentially exacerbated by the time between the AGM and announcing the change. The email notice came as a surprise for many and that’s not great business.

Fair enough. There is still the members feedback committee (I've forgotten its name!) that was set up late last year.

I gotta say, I am of the view that the Board's remit is to make decisions on our behalf, otherwise we will just be the first ever sporting organisation run by SurveyMonkey (now there's a reality show!).

Don't have an issue with the change in parameters for the expansion. No one will ever be 100% happy with it one way or the other.

Melbourne is going through the issue we did last year with people attempting to compel the club to handover personal info of members. Seems Melbourne has already fulfilled their obligation to hand names and postal addresses over. And this court action is about the applicant wanting more contact information. Which I assume will be knocked back.

I maintain my position from last year that member registers for footy clubs shouldn't fall under the disclosure requirements under the Corporations Act. But understand that the legislation can hardly distinguish between all types of organisations. I just don't like the idea that people with little understanding of information security can get their hands on my name and address just because I'm a member of Collingwood.

otherwise we will just be the first ever sporting organisation run by SurveyMonkey (now there's a reality show!).
Would sure make for an intriguing case study too

Melbourne is going through the issue we did last year with people attempting to compel the club to handover personal info of members. Seems Melbourne has already fulfilled their obligation to hand names and postal addresses over. And this court action is about the applicant wanting more contact information. Which I assume will be knocked back.

I maintain my position from last year that member registers for footy clubs shouldn't fall under the disclosure requirements under the Corporations Act. But understand that the legislation can hardly distinguish between all types of organisations. I just don't like the idea that people with little understanding of information security can get their hands on my name and address just because I'm a member of Collingwood.
FYI, the EGM push wasn't requesting information to mail out information like the Dees member above, but to check the veracity of the signatures. The only details that were actually needed was name, member number and member type. We literally requested to have that sort of personal information redacted and Korda and Zwier refused (their ploy was the simple legal tactic of delay, delay, delay, so they played that as they should).

You need to be able to utilise some information reasonably otherwise people, groups of people and/or major clubs can hijack other sporting organisations. I've seen it happen at my humble little tennis and squash club whereby to prevent a coup, the sane people needed to contact members to get proxies and most people were more than happy to oblige.

I appreciate that people freak out about privacy and information in today's age of identity theft, but there are simply times you need to share it.

Ultimately, the access to the Club provided information revealed that Neil Wilson was ineligible to stand as a board member without an exemption, which was refused via a vote by the members. There should be more angst directed to the use of two non-eligible board members to retain a power balance than there has IMHO. That we've ****ed that sort of tactic off is a real positive for the Club.

Last edited:
My understanding is a member/shareholder can request access to the register, but the legislation is still strict on how the register is to be utilised.

Any misuse could result in serious penalties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back