Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Hi everyone

My name is Matthew Ganley and I am requesting your vote for the vacant position on the Collingwood board.

As a lawyer with extensive legal experience, I will bring strong governance skills to the board which are required to be a board member of a football club.

What I offer to the members of the Collingwood Football Club:

1. Increased governance focus on list management, drafting and trading to ensure Collingwood is an innovator in this space and has a competitive advantage over other teams. I will look to expand the list management team so that our strike rate in the early rounds of the draft improves and that we get better returns for our trades.

2. Ensure the side by side value is always upheld even in the face of extreme media scrutiny like we saw this year with one of our players being subject to unfair media criticism and scrutiny post Bali. I believe we can do more to support our own in the face of a media pile on. I will push back on any pressure to bow to what the media demand we do and instead do what is right for the Collingwood Football Club and the person involved.

3. Lobbying the AFL so that Collingwood play no home games at Marvel Stadium and instead all our home games are at the MCG.

My professional experience at a Big 4 professional services firm and as a lawyer at a top information technology services company gives me the requisite skills to balance the governance skills required to be on a board along with my unquestioned passion for the Collingwood Football Club.

Please see further details on my website below and my twitter link:

https://matthewganleycollingwoodboardnominee.com/
Twitter: @MatthewGanley3

Hi everyone

My name is Matthew Ganley and I am requesting your vote for the vacant position on the Collingwood board.

As a lawyer with extensive legal experience, I will bring strong governance skills to the board which are required to be a board member of a football club.

1. Increased governance focus on list management, drafting and trading to ensure Collingwood is an innovator in this space and has a competitive advantage over other teams. I will look to expand the list management team so that our strike rate in the early rounds of the draft improves and that we get better returns for our trades.

2. Ensure the side by side value is always upheld even in the face of extreme media scrutiny like we saw this year with one of our players being subject to unfair media criticism and scrutiny post Bali. I believe we can do more to support our own in the face of a media pile on. I will push back on any pressure to bow to what the media demand we do and instead do what is right for the Collingwood Football Club and the person involved.

3. Lobbying the AFL so that Collingwood play no home games at Marvel Stadium and instead all our home games are at the MCG.

My professional experience at a Big 4 professional services firm and as a lawyer at a top information technology services company gives me the requisite skills to balance the governance skills required to be on a board along with my unquestioned passion for the Collingwood Football Club.

I like the sound of this. You have my vote 👍

Hi everyone

A lawyer who wasn't happy with the board's apparent treatment of jordy?

I think I like the boy!

Will Peter Murphy be nominating?

He sacrificed his board position to help achieve the smooth transition from Korda to Browne so I can't help but feel he should be first in line to return if indeed he has any interest in now doing so.

Will Peter Murphy be nominating?

He sacrificed his board position to help achieve the smooth transition from Korda to Browne so I can't help but feel he should be first in line to return if indeed he has any interest in now doing so.
Nominations close at 5pm today. Assuming members will receive an email with all the candidates.
Looking forward to voting!

I can confirm that Con Frantzeskos has nominated for the Board.

Will bring more deets soon, but he's the founder and CEO of a digital marketing company called PENSO.

Was also a long time poster on EB&W under the moniker, Conno, so he's not only brilliant in the sports marketing space, but one of us passionate message board posting tragics.

Will bring more deets soon, but he's the founder and CEO of a digital marketing company called PENSO.

Was also a long time poster on EB&W under the moniker, Conno, so he's not only brilliant in the sports marketing space, but one of us passionate message board posting tragics.
A bf type on the board?! I've heard it all now.

conno has also been an (infrequent) poster here since 2005. Here's a post of his from this thread last year: Toast - Presidency and The Board

Cheers Figgy.

Indeed I have nominated.

Here's my outline:

Dear Collingwood Fans,

As you know, I am a lifelong Collingwood fan, and I love the Club.

From being a kid at Victoria Park to recording the Pie Night podcast to doing post-match interviews at The Club to developing Collingwood Forever, to posting on the boards for more than 20 years as "Conno", I’ve wanted our Club to give us pride and VICTORY.

Last year, I worked with many of you to take back our Club. We’ve brought back much pride... and joy.

But there’s still work to be done.
The Club needs to learn from the other sports giants around the planet to give a world-class fan experience, whether on the couch or in the stands. We still don’t have the best fan communications, our social media can be much better, and we are not using technology enough to WIN more games.

I have therefore nominated for the Board of the Collingwood Football Club.

I am the MD and founder of PENSO, a digital consultancy, and MD of leading advertising agency AJF. I’m also Director of LaunchVic, Victoria’s startup agency, and advisory board member of Swinburne University of Technology Innovation Precinct.

I work with some of the biggest companies in Australia, Asia and the Middle East to delight their customers with famous advertising and innovative digital strategy. I can’t wait to share this expertise with the Collingwood Football Club and WIN FLAGS.

I would love your vote. And I'm happy to chat any time.

Floreat Pica.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Figgy.

Indeed I have nominated.

Here's my outline:

Dear Collingwood Fans,

As you know, I am a lifelong Collingwood fan, and I love the Club.

From being a kid at Victoria Park to recording the Pie Night podcast to doing post-match interviews at The Club to developing Collingwood Forever, to posting on the boards for more than 20 years as "Conno", I’ve wanted our Club to give us pride and VICTORY.

Last year, I worked with many of you to take back our Club. We’ve brought back much pride... and joy.

But there’s still work to be done.
The Club needs to learn from the other sports giants around the planet to give a world-class fan experience, whether on the couch or in the stands. We still don’t have the best fan communications, our social media can be much better, and we are not using technology enough to WIN more games.

I have therefore nominated for the Board of the Collingwood Football Club.

I am the MD and founder of PENSO, a digital consultancy, and MD of leading advertising agency AJF. I’m also Director of LaunchVic, Victoria’s startup agency, and advisory board member of Swinburne University of Technology Innovation Precinct.

I work with some of the biggest companies in Australia, Asia and the Middle East to delight their customers with famous advertising and innovative digital strategy. I can’t wait to share this expertise with the Collingwood Football Club and WIN FLAGS.

I would love your vote. And I'm happy to chat any time.

Floreat Pica.
You've been open about your views on politics and policy. Can you please elaborate on these? Would be interested in knowing the philosophies of people who may have my vote.

You've been open about your views on politics
Can I ask Shill why you're interested in a candidate's political leanings?

On the previous page you didn't like the fact that Rosen had links to the Liberal Party.

Personally I think the Board should be apolitical and include an eclectic mix of views and leanings.

50 posts up & only 5 likes, one of those being from sr36. Questionable bf credentials. You might be orright after all.
I'd be questioning bf. How can a suggestion that I'll drink anyone's beer if they're paying not receive a deluge of likes and thunderous applause? Issues shmissues - those values got my vote.

On the previous page you didn't like the fact that Rosen had links to the Liberal Party.

Personally I think the Board should be apolitical and include an eclectic mix of views and leanings

Personally I think the Board should be apolitical and include an eclectic mix of views and leanings.
I didn't necessarily mind that Rosen had Liberal leanings, but just found it interesting that he appeared so wedded to a particular party.

AFL football clubs are more than just about winning premierships now, they have significant impact in their communities. I'm interested in knowing the values that would-be Board members have.

I mean look at the Thorburn affair with the Dons. Putting aside the fact that Essendon royally screwed that appointment up, that's an example of hiring someone to a powerful position within the organisation whose values are so ridiculously out of touch with the club itself and the broader community.

I didn't necessarily mind that Rosen had Liberal leanings, but just found it interesting that he appeared so wedded to a particular party.

AFL football clubs are more than just about winning premierships now, they have significant impact in their communities. I'm interested in knowing the values that would-be Board members have.

I mean look at the Thorburn affair with the Dons. Putting aside the fact that Essendon royally screwed that appointment up, that's an example of hiring someone to a powerful position within the organisation whose values are so ridiculously out of touch with the club itself and the broader community.
All fair points, PS.

I've never understood why anyone latches to a political party like it's a footy team either.

i would think it's good to get a labor board member in when the alp is running the state and the country......and a liberal in when the liberals are in charge... access to gov't money is the key criteria. In fact networking is one of the key criteria to a board position...as far as i'm concerned.

I am centre left but Dan Rosen's political leanings mean nothing to me in a football sense (unless you are Geelong FC then you get massive stadium development).

Also knowing the family a little I know Dan is Triple A+ as a person and as a business mover and shaker.

I suspect Conno is the same having read his comments for over 20 years and at times not having agreed with him - cant agree on everything.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back