Preview Preview/changes v. Collingwood @ MCG - Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More or less agree. I was just pushing back against CrustyDemon’s “sides don’t win the flag from 4th” stat.
None of it means sh1t on Thursday night.

However, I do not think the Pies are playing as well as they did in the front half of the year. They tore out of the blocks early.

How many Melbourne Cup winners have begun the race 3 lengths in front then ended up first past the post? Not many I reckon.
1997 - Might and Power.
Anything is possible.

Still say the best two teams in it are playing Thursday night.
Shame really but should be a great game.

1997 - Might and Power.
Anything is possible.

Still say the best two teams in it are playing Thursday night.
Shame really but should be a great game.
If that's the case, we should still meet in the GF. A loss tomorrow doesn't rule out a flag for either team, but it certainly makes it more difficult.

That’s not the response I said Grundy should have given. Please don’t twist my words.

Grundy: “Thanks Ken, happy to have a chat on the phone. I’m interested in offers but I’ll do Melbourne the courtesy of holding off a face to face meeting until the finals are done.”

Ken: “No worries Brodie. Can absolutely respect and appreciate that. Talk soon.”

It’s totally unprofessional imo to have public talks with an opposition club who you might be playing against in upcoming finals. There is no guarantee Grundy won’t be picked to play over the next 2 - 4 weeks. Gawn is 32yo and a twisted ankle or a heavy flu virus away from disaster.

Manners and professional courtesy. Respecting the coaches, teammates and supporters of the club you’re contracted to on the eve of finals.

Brodie Grundy could’ve achieved that with a two minute phone call. But he chose not to.

“No issue from my end, I think we are a mature industry now,” Goodwin said.

“There are probably 50 players from across the league that are meeting with other clubs at this time of the year and it is pretty commonplace in the industry these days.

“Brodie is a professional footballer, he is a really mature player and has really focused in on performance. He has really loved the Melbourne footy club and he knows he has a four-year contract and he knows he is going to keep pushing this year to play finals footy.”

I like Grundy, but christ, I can't wait to never hear a question about him again
It's ****ing embarrassing journalism, you've got one of the biggest finals in years 1 day away and they're screaming questions about a bloke who hasn't played AA quality football in 5 years.

It's ******* embarrassing journalism, you've got one of the biggest finals in years 1 day away and they're screaming questions about a bloke who hasn't played AA quality football in 5 years.
We must have missed this key clause in Grundy's contract

1031880.jpg

When was the last time 4th beat 1st in the QF? I'm sure it's happened, but not a lot.

I just struggle to see where we beat them. Best team all season, it's going to take a monumental effort to get over the line. I'd say we probably win 3 out of 10 in this game certainly a chance, but Pies are bloody strong. That touch on the line against Carlton could be the difference between a GF or not.

I tend to agree - we're not going into this as favourites - Pies are top for a reason. But personally I would rather be playing Collingwood at the G, than Brisbane at the Gabba or Port away - we'd be even less chance in those games. We've beaten Collingwood this year and can do so again (I'd probably rate it 30-40% chance as well)but a real chance nonetheless

If that's the case, we should still meet in the GF. A loss tomorrow doesn't rule out a flag for either team, but it certainly makes it more difficult.
Agree with this.
I think Carlton will have an easier win against Sydney (assumed), than our teams on Thursday.
Whoever gets the loss, will face Carlton on a neutral ground, after having what is sure to be a very hard, contested game.

Straight sets looms and even if it is a win, it will be another hard-fought game, then a potential trip to Brisbane.
I don't care what the narrative says about a double chance, this game tomorrow night is massive for the rest of the finals.

I dare say, whichever team doesn't get the win, will be wearing Red and White on Friday :).

Good luck fella, let's just hope for no more injuries :praying:

Footy journalists seems to love discussing everything but the actual footy. I reckon I've heard Caro talk about an actual football game only a handful of times.
Caro can be very annoying but I can't fault her for staying in her lane. Leads the market for off-field news and gets very good mail in that respect.

“No issue from my end, I think we are a mature industry now,” Goodwin said.

“There are probably 50 players from across the league that are meeting with other clubs at this time of the year and it is pretty commonplace in the industry these days.

“Brodie is a professional footballer, he is a really mature player and has really focused in on performance. He has really loved the Melbourne footy club and he knows he has a four-year contract and he knows he is going to keep pushing this year to play finals footy.”

Party line to avoid the distraction. Anything else and the media would blow him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith is such a good sub would be a big blow to lose him.

Can't believe Petty, Melk and Smith missing hurts the side, would have been laughed at for saying that in June

It's a big blow if confirmed. With Petty and Smith out nobody else we can select as sub can play key roles forward and back. Theoretically Tommo should be able to play as a purely defensive forward but have never heard of him playing or training it so you wouldn't try it in a final.

I can see them going with Hibbo and Tommo starting and Turner as sub if Smith is out. At least it's some kind of tall-medium cover for backline.

It's ******* embarrassing journalism, you've got one of the biggest finals in years 1 day away and they're screaming questions about a bloke who hasn't played AA quality football in 5 years.

Media are not there because they love footy. They are there to get the news stories that will generate clicks though.
- I would be disappointed if some of the Footy Player Commentators jumped on this like like Healy/Lyon/Buckly etc.

Smith reportedly in hospital…

with his wife who is in labour.
Honestly Smith is so injury prone he's probably more likely to suffer birth trauma than his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back