Prospects for 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol - Darling - completely shut down by Spanger on the weekend. Hasn't come on as much this year. A bit like Rich's second year in the WAFL.
So Darling is a spud for being shut down by an AFL listed player with five pre-seasons?

Rich won the rising star award and is a gun, so I don't see your point.

Fremantle would swap Barlow and Silvagni for Darling in a heartbeat.

But Darling would cost them more than that.
If that is the Case - He might not even get Drafted because no one wants a Player like that
The clubs who can get Darling would be wise if they swapped their top three or four pick for Ben Reid, Josh Fraser, Chris Dawes or Jack Anthony.

:rolleyes:

The clubs who can get Darling would be wise if they swapped their top three or four pick for Ben Reid, Josh Fraser, Chris Dawes or Jack Anthony.

You got the Wrong End of the Stick:rolleyes:

I meant the Off-Field Problems whats not to say this won't happen when he is Drafted

So Darling is a spud for being shut down by an AFL listed player with five pre-seasons?

Rich won the rising star award and is a gun, so I don't see your point.

Fremantle would swap Barlow and Silvagni for Darling in a heartbeat.

But Darling would cost them more than that.

Spangher is a spud. Any decent player would get at least three goals against him from clumsy free kicks/clangers/turnovers. :D:D

Rich was talked up as a top 1-3 pick also and slipped. He was a big bodied ready to play youngster who didn't improve much in his second year in the WAFL. It was seen by many that whilst he would be a good player, there wasn't as much scope for improvement in him.

Jack may have some of the same knocks. A biggish lad who dominated at lower levels due to size/strength advantage (188cm, 88kg). Now finding it hard to improve against the bigger bodies.

The other knock that may come on him is that he may be a little too short for a KPP and he has done little to suggest he has other strings to his bow to date.

I didn't say he won't end up a good player or a highish pick. Just that with all the talk of him being 1-3, there are a few reaons why he may just slip down the pecking order like Rich/Butcher did.

Sam Day will go pick 1-3 along with Swallow.

Where do people rate Ryan Pendlebury?
Played really well apparently against Calder yesterday but it would've been his best game so far and this is his 2nd season with Power.He is really skillful and at 192cms and his name lets just say he will most probably be given more opportunities to impress than the average punter.His lack of real speed might be a disadvantage for the position he plays.There is another guy from down Sale way who is also in his 2nd season with Gippy Power by name of Lachie Todd who has been playing consistently well in defense most weeks but is never mentioned.When Ryan played his first of only a handful of games last year for Power ,he came off the bench periodically against Eastern and TBH didn't really do a lot ,in the same game Toddy was among the top 1or 2 best for Power ,yet the following week Ryan was given TAC player of the week on future stars program on the basis of that one and only game.Like i said ,he will be given every opportunitie to impress ,there is obviously a lot of potential there.RP has played a few good games with Sale 1sts in the Gippsland League though and he is definitely not afraid to mix it with bigger bodies which is also a big plus for him.

I know the Crows place a fair bit of stock on interviews with School teachers/principals.

I remember hearing the same about Clayton/Dogs when they recruited Murphy, Gia and Boyd etc.

I remember hearing the same about Clayton/Dogs when they recruited Murphy, Gia and Boyd etc.

They do, with Dalrymple still following Clayton's lead(he also supposedly had a no DH policy as well). I read somewhere Christian Howard's teachers and principle were interviewed by the Dogs prior to the draft.

Played really well apparently against Calder yesterday but it would've been his best game so far and this is his 2nd season with Power.He is really skillful and at 192cms and his name lets just say he will most probably be given more opportunities to impress than the average punter.His lack of real speed might be a disadvantage for the position he plays.There is another guy from down Sale way who is also in his 2nd season with Gippy Power by name of Lachie Todd who has been playing consistently well in defense most weeks but is never mentioned.When Ryan played his first of only a handful of games last year for Power ,he came off the bench periodically against Eastern and TBH didn't really do a lot ,in the same game Toddy was among the top 1or 2 best for Power ,yet the following week Ryan was given TAC player of the week on future stars program on the basis of that one and only game.Like i said ,he will be given every opportunitie to impress ,there is obviously a lot of potential there.RP has played a few good games with Sale 1sts in the Gippsland League though and he is definitely not afraid to mix it with bigger bodies which is also a big plus for him.

Thanks for the Info Mate - As the Pies already have his 2 Older Brothers in Kris and Scott I would not be suprised if he is 1 of there Possible Players Pies could Select

Two mature aged players who are a good chance:

1. Aaron Sweet, East Perth - former member of the WA U18 team that included Masten, Palmer, Rich etc.. 186cm and 85kg. Has come back to the WAFL after a year in the amatuers last year, probably after realising mature age players are back in vogue in the AFL. 32 possessions and 3 goals on the weekend - his 3rd/4th 30+ game for the year. Was in an U18 team where he probably was unable to showcase himself given it was stacked with guys like Masten/Palmer/Rich etc...
2. Andrew Krakouer, Swan Districts - yep, THAT Andrew Krakouer. He is back, has turned his life around, is doing a lot of community work to undo his bad deeds and become a real leader at the club. On top of that he is averaging around 26 possessions, 2 goals and 7-8 tackles per game. Will go very close to winning the Sandover medal and would probably be the favourite at this point. 27 years old - so maybe too old for many, however Gold Coast would surely look at him.

I have watched a lot of the WAFL and have noticed a young bloke at Peel by the name of Tom Clarke. He is 21, stands 193cms and weighs in at 95kg. He seems to be a very good quality tall defender that you could throw forward during a game. Has anyone else seen this guy?? He kept the second and third best goalkickers to a goal a peice when he played on them. I would love to see him get a crack at the next level, he really looks the goods.

Thanks for the Info Mate - As the Pies already have his 2 Older Brothers in Kris and Scott I would not be suprised if he is 1 of there Possible Players Pies could Select
Someone is definitely looking at him ,he has been playing good footy with Power yet not getting in the best ever ,and was elevated to Casey seniors last week to lineup against his older brother.He has grown into a big unit probably taller and with longer arms than either scott or kris and with good skills on both sides of his body.I'm tipping maybe a third round pick or a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 AFL DRAFT

David Swallow (East Fremantle) Certainty
Alex Fasolo (East Fremantle) Certainty
Jamie Cripps (East Fremantle) Certainty
Mitch Boyle (East Fremantle) Certainty
Godfrey Curley (East Fremantle)

Ben Newton (South Fremantle) Certainty
Mason Hill (South Fremantle)
Warrick Andreoli (South Fremantle) Certainty

Aaron Black (West Perth) Near Certainty
Jack Darling (West Perth) Certainty
Alex Ellisseo (West Perth)

Rays Daniels (Swan Districts)
Wes Mortin (Swan Districts)

Dylan Warner (Perth)
Reece Conca (Perth)
Rowan Gartlett (Perth)
Tyronne Garlett (Perth)

Harley Bennell (Peel) Certainty
Blayne Wilson (Peel)Certainty
Liam McKenna (Peel)
Joshua Wilson (Peel)

2011 AFL Draft -

Shane Kresten (South Fremantle)
Shane Nelson (West Perth)
Tom Mitchell (Claremont)
Max Duffy (Perth)
Gerard Ugle (Perth)

I would surely have Reece Conca as a certainty would be very very suprised if he doesnt get taken in this years draft. Also Angus Litherland from Claremont should be close to a certainty and i would also add Fraser McInnes from perth to the 2011 draft list very promising ruckmen/ kpp

I would surely have Reece Conca as a certainty would be very very suprised if he doesnt get taken in this years draft. Also Angus Litherland from Claremont should be close to a certainty and i would also add Fraser McInnes from perth to the 2011 draft list very promising ruckmen/ kpp

That was done pretty early.

Ben Newton and Aaron Black havn't developed on promising formative junior football years.

I like the look of Litherland, allot of composure about him but his kicking needs a little work.

That was done pretty early.

Ben Newton and Aaron Black havn't developed on promising formative junior football years.

I like the look of Litherland, allot of composure about him but his kicking needs a little work.

I suspect you have seen much more than I have but Black has certainly tapered and whilst I think he will get taken its more likely to be late draft or rookie. How would WA followers have rated him against DeBoer at the same age?

Newton would have a different view. He has had a few injuries and from all reports I have had out of AIS they were pretty happy with him. I think he has shown enough for recruiters to have him fairly high.

Litherland - big fan but agree composure is his biggest asset, his foot skills might need some work. I see him as a Thomson type FB from North.

Two mature aged players who are a good chance:

1. Aaron Sweet, East Perth - former member of the WA U18 team that included Masten, Palmer, Rich etc.. 186cm and 85kg. Has come back to the WAFL after a year in the amatuers last year, probably after realising mature age players are back in vogue in the AFL. 32 possessions and 3 goals on the weekend - his 3rd/4th 30+ game for the year. Was in an U18 team where he probably was unable to showcase himself given it was stacked with guys like Masten/Palmer/Rich etc...
2. Andrew Krakouer, Swan Districts - yep, THAT Andrew Krakouer. He is back, has turned his life around, is doing a lot of community work to undo his bad deeds and become a real leader at the club. On top of that he is averaging around 26 possessions, 2 goals and 7-8 tackles per game. Will go very close to winning the Sandover medal and would probably be the favourite at this point. 27 years old - so maybe too old for many, however Gold Coast would surely look at him.

Big call for someone to take Krak - personally love these comeback stories but surely only a WA club would take him.

Have been away last couple of weeks - how's Ninnyette & Myzungu been travelling last few weeks?

Hi guys

Plenty of guys running around in the VFL this year that could certainly be given a go on an AFL club..

Michael Hibberd (Frankston Dolphins)
186cm
87kg

Running backmen who has taken his footy to another level this year. He was selected in the VFL team of the year last year (interchange bench). For a first year player to do so was a mighty effort. As mentioned, taken his game to another level this year and could almost certainly be picked up. Have seen him play a variety of positions including that running backmen role, wingmen and even as an onballer at one stage. Was selected in the initial victorious VFL squad to underline his status as a player of the future.

More here

Callum Sinclair (Port Melbourne Borough)
200cm
95kg

Tall marking forward who is doing a super job for the Borough, playing at centre half forward. Averaging 2 goals a game and even had stints in the ruck. Does not look out of place in the ruck wither, with his reach and distinct height advantage, 21 year old Sincliar would firmly be in the sights of some AFL clubs looking for a young goal kicking, marking centre half forward.

Is a story about the young kid in the round 13 VFL record, but unfortunately cannot locate it. Says he came back from a major injury of some sort.

Michael Stockdale (Casey Scorpions)
175cm
75kg

Classy bacmen who was drafted late into the victorious VFL state squad and played a crucial role in the win. A good user of the ball who also has speed on his side but is a little bit undersized (175cm) for the AFL perhaps, never stopped Brent Harvey though. I really like the look of this kid and think he could be a good acquisition for an AFL club looking for a small backmen.

Good story here on Michael Stockdale

Ed Curnow (Box Hill Hawks)
180cm
78kg

Ex AFL delisted player who has come back to Victoria to tear the comp apart. Has been outstanding for Box Hill, being named in the bests 10 of his 13 games played. Unfortunately, some extra baggage has been added to the Curnow package, with Ed suffering a major knee injury and looking like a full knee reconstruction. Former AFL coach Neil Craig describes Curnow as an "unbelievable athlete, who has an absolute thirst and want to play AFL football and will do anything to do it”.

Was selected in the VFL state game this year to tear it apart with 38 quality possessions and finished second in the B.O.G voting to 7 goal hero Matt Little.

Cameron Richardson (North Ballarat Roosters)
189cm
83kg

Tall running player who is versatile enough to play anywhere. Richardson has been a figure of consistency, being named in the bests in 12 of his 15 games, and has booted 5 goals. He feel his strengths are his aerial ability and likens himself to the versatile Luke Hodge.

More here

Myles Sewell
185cm
77kg

Tough inside ball winning midfielder who has composure beyond his 21 years suggests. Has not dominated games like last year due to extra attention a reigning JJ Liston Trophy winner attracts. He still is one of the classiest midfielders running around in the VFL. His voice and leadership on field is second to none and is one of a number of VFL listed guys running around at North Ballarat who are first class footballers.

More Here

Dean Galea
188cm
93kg

Mid sized player, playing a key position post. Galea has been a revelation since moving to Port Melbourne from rival Williamstown. His strong body and big presence has helped the Borough come back from a precariously placed 9th position to now be sitting pretty in the top 8. Galea's form has been good this year and included bags of 7 versus Box Hill Hawks and then followed it up with another bag of 5 versus Geelong and another bag of 5 versus the Northern Bullants.

A good Story here on Dean Galea

Sam Gibson
184cm
82kg

Gibson, the former Hawthorn rookie has become a solid goal kicking option for the Box Hill Hawks over the past few seasons. His goal kicking prowess has certainly come to the fore in the past two seasons which has been highlighted with bags of 6 against Weribee Tigers in '10 and a bag of 5 against Sandringham in '09. Certainly a player that could be looked at again after a stint as an AFL rookie already, with Hawthorn.

Trent Shinners
192cm
96kg

Versatile tall who started off this season in a blaze of glory, but has tapered off in the second half of this season. His versatility to play on talls or smalls is certainly an advantage, whilst he has also been asked to play in the ruck after the loss of Tom Bellchambers (senior selection), Jason Laycock (injury) and Bendigo listed James Bristow (injury). Has held his own in the ruck albeit as an undersized one.

More here

These are just a few players that are certainly on show. Apparently rumor has it that there is going to be an under 23 VFL game on show this year, around the VFL grand final time. Peter Schwab interview in a record earlier in the year suggested this is going to happen, perhaps to put on show some more talent that the VFL has to offer.

Hopefully this can give some guys some more info on the classier VFL guys that are currently running around.

I'd be happy to help to give you some more info on some other types of players that are running around.

Thanks guys

HFF_07

We shouldn't have let Curnow go.

Terrific post too HFF. Chris Cain showed some goods for Port today.

Yeah, heard this from a few people..

Chris Cain was always rated pretty highly in VFL circles.

Any news/reasons why he left?

Maybe just a new challenge for the 23 year old.

Here is a little snippet for some people wanting to know more about the former Borough goal kicking midfielder.

This bit would excite a few people and is probably spot on:

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Shaun Higgins. He's a creative half-forward type with good goal sense who is capable of playing in the midfield.

A chance maybe?

How is James Allan going any ways Wall - e?

Any other SANFL guys worth mentioning?

Yeah, heard this from a few people..

Chris Cain was always rated pretty highly in VFL circles.

Any news/reasons why he left?

Maybe just a new challenge for the 23 year old.

Here is a little snippet for some people wanting to know more about the former Borough goal kicking midfielder.

This bit would excite a few people and is probably spot on:

A chance maybe?

How is James Allan going any ways Wall - e?

Any other SANFL guys worth mentioning?
Definately moves well. Bit of a line breaker and a run and carry mid. Has to work on a few things but.

NOt too sure on Allen. I don't get to see much SANFL unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prospects for 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back