PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished with Kiel, Tippett and Will Hamill.

Summary
Brisbane Lions Rookie Selections
4 Anthony Corrie Brisbane Lions
20 Scott Clouston Morningside
35 Daniel Dzufer Suncoast Lions
48 Haydyn Kiel Southport
57 Joel Tippett Southport
61 Will Hamill Brisbane Lions

That means we took Hamill as a priority, rather surprised. You'd think that after 2 years, we would've seen enough of him to make up our minds?

We've continued with the Queenslanders only policy again then. Arguable policy, but can't fault too much there.

Round Three
32 Carlton Ross Young Northern Bullants
33 Essendon Adam Ramanauskas Essendon
34 Kangaroos Matt Campbell Pioneers
35 Brisbane Lions Daniel Dzufer Suncoast Lions
36 Port Adelaide Nathan Batsanis Oakleigh Chargers
37 Hawthorn Sam Gibson Oakleigh Chargers
38 Geelong Jason Davenport Geelong VFL
39 St Kilda Robert Eddy Gippsland Power
40 Collingwood Martin Clarke County Down, Ireland
41 Western Bulldogs Marty Pask Brisbane Lions
42 Fremantle Darren Rumble Subiaco
43 Adelaide Rhys Archard South Adelaide
44 Sydney Luke Brennan Hawthorn
45 West Coast Chad Jones Kangaroos

46 Carlton Pass
47 Kangaroos Tim Hutchison Kangaroos
48 Brisbane Lions Haydyn Kiel Southport
49 Port Adelaide Peter Hardy Geelong Falcons
50 Geelong Tom Lonergan Geelong
51 St Kilda James Wall Sydney
52 Western Bulldogs Michael West Western Bulldogs
53 Fremantle Benet Copping Fremantle
54 Adelaide Greg Gallman North Adelaide
55 Sydney Matthew Davis Sydney
56 West Coast Ben Sharp West Coast
57 Brisbane Lions Joel Tippett Southport
58 St Kilda Jarryn Geary Bendigo Pioneers
59 Sydney Earl Shaw Sydney
60 West Coast Ashley Thornton West Coast
61 Brisbane Lions Will Hamill Brisbane Lions
62 St Kilda Jayden Attard Brisbane Lions
63 Sydney Pass
64 West Coast Beau Wilkes West Coast

A pretty good mix really. Corrie will obviously be pushing for senior selection at some stage in 07. Tippett and Clouston would have to be project players right now. Dzufer is big enough to step up to senior ranks in 07 if required and Kiel is a premiership player in the local comp. And Hamill could well be one of those undersized modern day defenders who are able to play on taller and heavier opponents by using their athleticism and spring.

Don't disagree POBT. There's 2 questions to ask though:

1. Queensladers only policy? I know irel and BB don't agree. I think here we're split between development of the game in Qld vs best players for Lions.

2. Are Smith or Grose better prospects than any of the lads we picked up?

Don't disagree POBT. There's 2 questions to ask though:

1. Queensladers only policy? I know irel and BB don't agree. I think here we're split between development of the game in Qld vs best players for Lions.

On question 1 I agree with irel and BB but what I will say is that with our extra rookie selections it may well be within our interests to take mostly locals. I know there have been exceptions.

Who knows with question 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was an advocate of a Qld focused rookie draft. I see far more local footy than underaged footy elsewhere and this crop of Qld youngsters is far and away the best that I have seen in quite a few years of watching the AFLQ. Normally, the candidates for rookie drafting are either almost unsighted in senior local footy or are 19-21 years old. This year we've got 18-19 year olds like Dzufer and Kiel who are playing really important roles at local levels. For example, Dzufer had a great last 5-6 games for the Eagles. Nick could tell you about Kiel's season with Southport. I just think the standard of local footy is raised every year and if we have 18/19 year olds who are playing good football at that level, then we should encourage that.

I would trust Gonz to know more than I do about the local footy players. I thought Smith and Grose was both worthy of top 50 picks in the ND so in my opinion they are good prospects - I have Smith as a possible gun but every AFL club disagrees with me so there's a good chance I am wrong. I don't know anything about Clouston or Tippett. But, as I said, I would defer to Gonz's better judgment.

Big Kielsy! :D
Your man made it. I hope he turns out as good as you have talked him up to be!

BTW, your article in the Bully's weekend mag caused a stir at our place. Suffice to say, the lines were drawn on a gender basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back