PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is impossible to stuff up a rookie draft. It is a good year if you find 1 rookie who goes on to to become a senior player. It is a very good year to find 2. To find 3 as we did last year is an exceptional result. But the expectations for finding players in the rookie draft should be quite low. The vast majority of players selected are going to end up not playing a senior game. Sherminator, if you gave a list of those interstate players that you rate highly, I'm sure that someone could come up with a whole list of reasons why that player won't make it. All of the players in the rookie draft were overlooked for a reason. The pass rate in rookie drafting is very low, IMO.

I'm not sure how it can be said that we stuffed it up. Clubs are picking players who are theoretically behind 80 other players in their age bracket. The level of talent has to be fairly even at that point. That means you are looking for intangibles or distant potential, hardly scientific data on which to base a decision. It becomes intuitive rather than evidenced based. A recruiter might be relying on a quarter of footy played in March, a throwaway line in an interview, a tip from another coach, knowing that a player's sibling grew 3 inches at age 19. It is hardly stuff that a recruiter's performance can be judged on. "Stuffing it up" would require us to overlook players that are likely to be substantially better than those we selected - I don't think anyone could argue that has occurred.

The National and Rookie Drafts indicate that interstate clubs thought pretty highly of the Queensland talent this year. Both Fremantle and Port took Queenslanders with fairly early picks even though they could have chosen to take any player from across the country. That gives some indication that the talent in Queensland was OK. I am sure that if the club saw an interstate stand-out player, that they would have taken him. I suspect that they simply liked the homegrown talent too much.

We have taken a mix of "best available" (Dzufer, Kiel), "project players" (Tippett, Clouston) and existing list players (Corrie and Hamill). I am pretty happy with that mix.

Couldn't have phrased it any better, POBT.

Everyone marvels at the rookie success stories like Danyle Pearce and it all looks so easy, but look at the 15 blokes take before him the 2004 rookie draft.

• Richmond - Will Thursfield (San)
  • Hawthorn - Ruory Kirkby (Ben) (13)
  • Western Bulldogs - Rowan Nayna (Dan) (67)
  • Collingwood - Ben Davies (Wes)
  • Adelaide - Ryan Nye (WA) (75)
  • Carlton - Daniel Batson (NB)
  • Kangaroos - Josh Gibson (VFL)
  • Fremantle - Joseph Krieger (San)
  • West Coast - Ben Sharp (Oak) (35)
  • Melbourne - Brendan Van Shaik (Mur)
  • Essendon - Ryan Bain (Oak) (23)
  • Sydney - Guy Campbell (VFL)
  • Geelong - Jarrod Garth (Tas)
  • St Kilda - Luke Mullins (Col)
  • Brisbane Lions - Travis Baird (Ben)
  • Port Adelaide - Danyule Pearce (SA)

That's the first round only 2 years ago and only 4 of 16 have ongoing AFL careers -- and Gibson, Thursfield and Baird certainly aren't set for the long term at this stage.

What ever happened to Big Brendan Van Shaik, Lukey Mullins, Joey Kreiger and the excitement machine Jarrod Garth?

Not to try to suck all the romance out it, but the numbers say that while any of them could be the next Aaron Davey, 19 out of 20 will be back working in a bank by Christmas 2009.

Couldn't have phrased it any better, POBT.

Everyone marvels at the rookie success stories like Danyle Pearce and it all looks so easy, but look at the 15 blokes take before him the 2004 rookie draft.
  • Richmond - Will Thursfield (San)
  • Hawthorn - Ruory Kirkby (Ben) (13)
  • Western Bulldogs - Rowan Nayna (Dan) (67)
  • Collingwood - Ben Davies (Wes)
  • Adelaide - Ryan Nye (WA) (75)
  • Carlton - Daniel Batson (NB)
  • Kangaroos - Josh Gibson (VFL)
  • Fremantle - Joseph Krieger (San)
  • West Coast - Ben Sharp (Oak) (35)
  • Melbourne - Brendan Van Shaik (Mur)
  • Essendon - Ryan Bain (Oak) (23)
  • Sydney - Guy Campbell (VFL)
  • Geelong - Jarrod Garth (Tas)
  • St Kilda - Luke Mullins (Col)
  • Brisbane Lions - Travis Baird (Ben)
  • Port Adelaide - Danyule Pearce (SA)
That's the first round only 2 years ago and only 4 of 16 have ongoing AFL careers -- and Gibson, Thursfield and Baird certainly aren't set for the long term at this stage.

What ever happened to Big Brendan Van Shaik, Lukey Mullins, Joey Kreiger and the excitement machine Jarrod Garth?

Not to try to suck all the romance out it, but the numbers say that while any of them could be the next Aaron Davey, 19 out of 20 will be back working in a bank by Christmas 2009.

Good point you raise xplo. On the main board a Port supporter was chatting about how the Lions get more rookie selections. I did not bother to answer but the first point that went through my mind was so what. Of the local rookies we have elevated over the last few years the only one that has been a huge success is Copeland.

Exactly. Of the others, Drummo's been good, but still hasn't made it to 30 games, and to say JMac has his critics is certainly an understatement.

Roe, Stiller and Harding lucked out in hitting a year when we were decimated by injury.

Racking my brains to try and think of one that was predicted as a draftee but missed out. Rhys Magin is the only one that comes to mind and he is bottom aged.

Are you thinking of Plummer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will not have you or anyone else bad-mouthing Van Shaik.

Take your Shaik hate elsewhere.

309845av.jpg

Whos is this (taken from the Lions website)?

Good point you raise xplo. On the main board a Port supporter was chatting about how the Lions get more rookie selections. I did not bother to answer but the first point that went through my mind was so what. Of the local rookies we have elevated over the last few years the only one that has been a huge success is Copeland.
I think Stiller could be the best of the rookie elevations. He is a ball magnet.

I agree with most of the posts that the rookie draft is pretty hit and miss and so I for one like to see the Lions supporting the local talent especially in a year where there is plenty of it about.

What the selections in both drafts tell me also is that the Lions don't seem to be as worried about their backline as everyone seems to be assuming. The key positions taken in both drafts have been the long shot speculative picks. Tyler came out of the blue a bit as did Clouston and Tippett. I can't see any of them playing this year in the AFL. I will be interested in seeing what line ups are used this year.

On the flip side there seems to have been a few medium forward options taken which is another weakness. They have also geared up with young runners without any real set positions and I will be interested to see where they try and fit them in ie where the coaching staff sees the weaknesses in the senior side.

I was happy to see Dzufer get taken today particularly by the Lions. He worked hard and did everything anyone could have asked of him this year on the field so I am happy we gave him a chance. Low risk option taking him as a rookie.

I also think people have been pretty harsh on Hamill and think he will surprise some this year. He has been pretty close with Harding and Allen as far as onfield performances and if he gets a chance injury free could break out. He has good speed and knows that he is on his last chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back