PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiel definately loves his number 12, Southport, GC Stingrays & QLD.

I think it's interesting that you grow an affiliation with a number and then get picked in the big time and you generally have to start at the bottom again.

Petterd likes his no 2. doubt he'll get that at melbourne not that I know who wears it

Thanks for that Nick. Would you agree that if Hadyn was 183cm rather than 178 he'd have been a first or second rounder for sure? I honestly think his height was the thing that put most clubs off.
180cm seems to be almost a mandatory minimum height these days. I was amazed to find that we had only 2 players under 180cm on our senior list.

Thanks for that Nick. Would you agree that if Hadyn was 183cm rather than 178 he'd have been a first or second rounder for sure? I honestly think his height was the thing that put most clubs off.

Absolutely mate.
His height was his main deterrent.

5-10 cm's and he would have been first/second round.

Amazing isn't it? The difference in perception between 179cm and 180cm. Albie is variously reported as 180cm or 181cm and there was never any question with his height. 1 or 2cm is the difference between a haircut for some blokes.

I saw a doco recently where chinese guys are having their leg bones cut and set further apart, so when it heals they're taller. They do this 3,4 or 5 times and get 1-2 cm in height. Excruitiating to watch. I wonder if we'll end up having 12-13 year old getting this done to help their draft prospects?

I think its an excuse they give, unless the guys under 175cm if his any good he'll be picked up.

If the guy's exceptional like Murphy, Luke or Boomer Harvey, he certainly will.

However once you move down the talent ladder a bit, most clubs seem to take the approach of 'What can Hayden Kiel do at 178cm that Chris Shmidt can't do 188cm?' Probably sensible too.

Their raw football ability, speed, leap and skills might be pretty similar, so you might as well take the taller kid.

Is there any analysis on whether they think draft picks will continue to grow? Schmidt was saying his brothers continued to grow until they were 21, so he expects to get taller himself. Might be a scientific field that becomes more advanced in future years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any analysis on whether they think draft picks will continue to grow? Schmidt was saying his brothers continued to grow until they were 21, so he expects to get taller himself. Might be a scientific field that becomes more advanced in future years.

Id say that teams would have a look at family traits such as height for their main targets and perhaps also some speculative picks.

There are many techniques to estimate the final height of a person (i.e. looking at closure of growth plates etc), and i would be shocked if this wasn't used for potential draftees.

Aye. The X ray would also be helpful in determining whether the kid would be at more risk of injury (if still growing) due to things like Osgood-Schlatters.

The height of Schmidt's brothers was mentioned by the Lions immediately after drafting him so it was obviously something that they had in mind. It certainly makes him one of the more interesting guys to follow this year. He only 17 so it is probably a fair bet that he will grow some more given the family history and his brothers finishing heights.

Who is doing the reports on him next year? We'll be expecting them out with the tape measure each week and give updates.

It is also going to be interesting to see how the Lions play him. He is a very versatile player atm and could play anywhere in the reserves this year. I would be interested to see his brother's body shape. Long and lean or solid? Might we have a KP on our hands in a couple of years?

The height of Schmidt's brothers was mentioned by the Lions immediately after drafting him so it was obviously something that they had in mind. It certainly makes him one of the more interesting guys to follow this year. He only 17 so it is probably a fair bet that he will grow some more given the family history and his brothers finishing heights.

Who is doing the reports on him next year? We'll be expecting them out with the tape measure each week and give updates.

It is also going to be interesting to see how the Lions play him. He is a very versatile player atm and could play anywhere in the reserves this year. I would be interested to see his brother's body shape. Long and lean or solid? Might we have a KP on our hands in a couple of years?

I allocated myself to him before he was even drafted. Thought I'd take a punt on the Akermanis pick. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back