Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of extra time but if scores are still level, then there is a replay the following week. No more than 10 mins of extra time because of the rotation cap though.

Don't like the golden goal idea as something as simple as a dubious 50m penalty could end the game.

lol.

Now I know you are just trolling :)

I think he hates the game a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶S̶t̶ ̶K̶i̶l̶d̶a̶ ̶w̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶m̶i̶e̶r̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ but keeps watching.

The travel is only really an issue for WA and perhaps Qld clubs. It's happened 3 times in 100 years. I'll let someone else do the math but there is an extremely low chance of any of these 4 clubs being affected. Just leave the status quo.

Aussie Rules is an endurance sport so it makes mores sense for a replay than it does for other sporting codes.

If the Olympic Marathon for example was a dead heat, would people argue it would make sense for a 100m sprint to determine the result?
Would they not give the gold to both athletes in that case? Or are you saying the affected athletes have to run the marathon all over again?

It's not 1991 any more and non-Victorian teams now can avoid all travel up until the GF. The fixture is also manipulated now so WA teams don't play back-to-back away games.

What more do you want?

At least you get to play finals on your own home ground. We don't regardless of where we finish on the ladder. We're even forced to play on the oppositions home ground even though we finished above them on the ladder. And you're still whinging about a situation that will never happen again?

There's hardly an issue in regards to the AFL where West Aussies don't play the victim card. We get it, you love handouts.

Just try debating the GF replay vs OT on it's own merits. Not every aspect of the league has to be seen through the prism of pacifying WA's inferiority complex.
And its not a backyard league playing on mud pits anymore.

Ive been an eagles member for 15 years now, and have spent way too much money to go over and watch the last 3 grand finals we have played in.
Just thinking about how much i've spent on those 3 trips is pretty stupid at times. European / American holiday or a weekend in Melbourne to watch a footy game....
But I (and the other 20,000 people) spend all that money to go over and watch our team have a crack at winning the premiership.
If 2010 wasn't hollow enough - take $5k from your bank account and burn it. Then go home and watch the replay on TV. That would equal what it would be like for anyone from WA.
I do love my club, but if it happened to me I would probably walk away. I know people always say that but whats the point... Become a casual fan and watch on tv, and take all the money and go play golf every weekend instead.

Thats actually a pretty cool way to solve the solution

It works allright because it's in Etihad and the conditions are perfect. What happens if it's there's a howling gale blowing in one teams favour.

It works allright because it's in Etihad and the conditions are perfect. What happens if it's there's a howling gale blowing in one teams favour.

What happens in extra time, if there is a howling gale, and at half time of e tra time it starts pouring with rain??

You could really play what if's all day

Next goal wins, play on until someone kicks a goal. Dont sound the siren until after the goal is awarded (whether it be field or 3rd umpire).

The issue with changing the GF to anything to stop the draw, they MUST also change the H&A games and say goodbye to draws for good, you win or you lose!

What if a team kicks seven behinds in a row then their opponents kick a goal?

200_s.gif

seriously... it would be the next "winning" goal that wins... so if a side conceded 7 behinds and then kicked a goal themselves, it would not be deemed a "winning" goal because they are still 1 pt behind

And its not a backyard league playing on mud pits anymore.

Ive been an eagles member for 15 years now, and have spent way too much money to go over and watch the last 3 grand finals we have played in.
Just thinking about how much i've spent on those 3 trips is pretty stupid at times. European / American holiday or a weekend in Melbourne to watch a footy game....
But I (and the other 20,000 people) spend all that money to go over and watch our team have a crack at winning the premiership.
If 2010 wasn't hollow enough - take $5k from your bank account and burn it. Then go home and watch the replay on TV. That would equal what it would be like for anyone from WA.
I do love my club, but if it happened to me I would probably walk away. I know people always say that but whats the point... Become a casual fan and watch on tv, and take all the money and go play golf every weekend instead.
Wow, talk about a self-entitled mindset.

What other things about the game should we change so we don't risk losing you as a supporter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would they not give the gold to both athletes in that case? Or are you saying the affected athletes have to run the marathon all over again?
Well yes in the Olympics they would give two medals.

They'd do that because it's impractical to run it again (recovery time alone for marathoners would mean it would need to be many weeks later). In our case it's not.

However what they wouldn't do is take on some mickey mouse sprint at the end to split the difference.

Once upon a time, we were so proud of our game. We prided ourselves that it was "uniquely Australian", that it differed from all other sports. All we have done in the past 20 or so years is beg, steal and borrow from other sports until the game is barely recognisable. I beg of the AFL, lust leave one thing alone, you don't HAVE to change everything.

It's just Like the 1994 quidditch World Cup when Victor krum caught the snitch despite knowing that Bulgaria would lose if he did so.

Once upon a time, we were so proud of our game. We prided ourselves that it was "uniquely Australian", that it differed from all other sports. All we have done in the past 20 or so years is beg, steal and borrow from other sports until the game is barely recognisable. I beg of the AFL, lust leave one thing alone, you don't HAVE to change everything.
If we were talking about getting rid of the regular season draws I'd agree but this sort of reasoning for keeping something as utterly ridiculous and shit as the GF replay is idiotic.

Leave it how it is. Draws are rare as it is. If you're not good enough to win the grand final in the regular amount of game time then try again the week after. We don't have to be like every other sport.

I want the replay kept just so we get to see the world's biggest game of "Simon Says...hands on heads!" when the siren goes and scores are level.

Actually, no I don't, it's ridiculous.

Should be extra time for all games, finals as well as h&a, draws suck ass, when you experience your first one it's kind of a novelty, disappointing but at least you got some points, but as anyone thats been to more than one should be able to convey, they lose their appeal very quickly.

The AFL has made some decent decisions lately to improve the game, this looks like another....what are they smoking these days at hq?...

Happens about every 35 years, just leave it, who said we have to follow everyone else, our game is unique and should keep it thay way.

Perfect point, in over 100 years there have been 3 replays. It is not like something that happens all the time, and surely the honour of making it to the final game combined with the adrenalin will make it easier for any team, from any state to get back up for the replay.

Well yes in the Olympics they would give two medals.

They'd do that because it's impractical to run it again (recovery time alone for marathoners would mean it would need to be many weeks later). In our case it's not.

However what they wouldn't do is take on some mickey mouse sprint at the end to split the difference.
Back in reality, the WA team having to fly back to WA which means their recovery is compromised. We cop it during the season because we just have to, but it's not necessary for a Grand Final.

Furthermore, the replay ends in overtime if it's a draw again...why are you not outraged by that?

Perfect point, in over 100 years there have been 3 replays. It is not like something that happens all the time, and surely the honour of making it to the final game combined with the adrenalin will make it easier for any team, from any state to get back up for the replay.
Sounds scientific...

You guys realise that just because it has only occurred 3 times in 100 years, doesn't mean it couldn't occur 3 times in 5 years? It occurring once in the national competition is one time too many.

Sounds scientific...

You guys realise that just because it has only occurred 3 times in 100 years, doesn't mean it couldn't occur 3 times in 5 years? It occurring once in the national competition is one time too many.

And what's not to say the next time it does it is not a Western Derby? Would you have anything to complain about then if both teams had to fly back the following week?

What is this nonsense about copying other codes anyway? Our game is unique and it should stay that way. I am sure 50 years from now our players can at least look back with fond memories that they played 2 grand finals in one year even if we did not win.

Back