Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a bit of the game today, are we concerned that SDK played too many minutes to be considered for a full game in 5 days time? Especially considered his recent surgery.
My thinking is with Port's lack of concerning tall forwards and Stanley appearing comfortable with the #1, it might upset current balance to put him in (especially underdone)

You mean like they did for the entire game against St Kilda when he kept Brad Hill to 10 disposals in rd 23?

I said of the calibre of JHF. Brad hill isn’t in St kilda’s top half a dozen players and only got more than 14 disposals once in the last 5 matches of the season, and only reached 20 touches twice in the last 3 months. Not exactly like he was tearing it apart.

So again, if Mullin is capable of stopping the very elite players, why wouldn’t we have done that during the season? Wouldnt have been handy to stop bont or treloar in our loss to the dogs, or Warner or heeney, Cripps or Walsh?

Only 5 days recovery- how taxing did the game look?

Conditions weren't great and we looked like shit 😂

Sam showed some real positives, but it was interesting to watch our treatment of him - looked like we pulled him in the third quarter only for him to return to the field and start spending periods of time forward

He played bulk of the game in the ruck, and Conway would jump into him at every opportunity, so he'd likely be feeling it tomorrow

Just seemed really interesting that we didn't pull anyone from the match, and all named played through to the final siren

I watched a bit of the game today, are we concerned that SDK played too many minutes to be considered for a full game in 5 days time? Especially considered his recent surgery.
My thinking is with Port's lack of concerning tall forwards and Stanley appearing comfortable with the #1, it might upset current balance to put him in (especially underdone)
Makes sense; Stanley is motivated and comes up well after a week off.

I can see Merrick & Mullin named as emergencies

At halftime i was pretty confident we'd be seeing SDK named in the 22 come Wednesday night - but with him playing all 4 quarters, I'm 50/50 in regards to him playing Thursday night & wouldn't be surprised if to see him named as an emergency

So, Knevitt & Rohan lose their spots on the emergency list to be replaced by O'Connor and SDK (or if he's in the 22, whoever's spot he takes)

I dont think sdk covered a lot of kms today (club would have the GPS data) so i think he will play.
I assume bews will be one carryover emg (since he was held over) and i would say oconnor and knevitt would be the other two.

I’m confident.

Last time we lost to them our midfield got smashed. That midfield was missing - Dangerfield, Bowes and Bruhn!

Holmes has improved massively and Stewart now plays midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I am “somewhat” confident for the reasons you said….of course a little balanced the other way in terms of it being AO and not GMHBA from last time…

The thought of leaving SDK out or as a sub in this Geelong side, so bereft of talent, is simply preposterous. He would be our best key defender, best ruck, and probably even best second tall forward option. And a useful winger.

But Scott has a habit of making ludicrous selections in week one of finals when he has too much time to think, so you probably can’t completely rule him out being sub.

I dont think sdk covered a lot of kms today (club would have the GPS data) so i think he will play.
I assume bews will be one carryover emg (since he was held over) and i would say oconnor and knevitt would be the other two.
I think they play Bews - either in 22 to take rioli or as sub again.

so to fit SDK in I think either Stanly out (unlikely imo) or 2E/Duncan to go (something I would do but doubt the MC will. Issue is team balance I think now they see Blitz as predominately a backman?

I think they play Bews - either in 22 to take rioli or as sub again.

so to fit SDK in I think either Stanly out (unlikely imo) or 2E/Duncan to go (something I would do but doubt the MC will. Issue is team balance I think now they see Blitz as predominately a backman?
Bews would be an odd type of player as sub and i doubt hes in the 22 unless tuohy or duncan are dropped which i think is unlikely.

Hello Cats BF Friends from your Zouz Kitty

Page 23 of our 2024, QF2 game 💙🤍💙

NFI why it’s QF2 Geelong -v- Port

People Applause GIF by MOODMAN

We’re playing at AO ???

NFI why QF2 is playing first on Thursday night?

Anyhooo. . .Still recovering from Geelong -v- Adelaide at KP + holiday!

Apropos of nothing, still rallying from Play it Sam introducing @TheUnforgiven, SeSe + me, unsuspecting WA guys, died in the hoops girlfriends from Fb, to the bright lights celebrations in Geelong, after a win!

Cigarettes sequestered in innocuous boxes 🚬🚬🚬

Not THOSE funny gaspers you derros!

How are our players using the Bye to full advantage?

It will come down to this

All I seen there was Danger flipping the bag -and the forward momentum of both players contributed to Walsh’s head making forceful contact with the ground
:)

Can't tell we're all a bit bored. Come on game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the highlights of our last game v Port, our centre square mids where CGuthrie (lacking zip and form), Blitz (playing mid and was ineffective, Atkins, Parfitt and Clarke. Stanley was getting spanked by Visentini, so was subbed off, Blitz went into the ruck and Mulin tagged JHF. And we nearly reeled in an 8 goal deficit.

Now Port was without Rozee, but this time, our rotating 5 mids will be : Danger, Stewart, Atkins, Bruin and Bowes. They still have the talent edge, they deserve to be favourite, but we will be better.

I agree with this logic, but I wish we'd trialled SDK in that role throughout the season with Blicavs as KPD. Debuting new set-ups or positional moves in finals isn't ideal, it's much better to go in with what you know.

Theoretically though it makes sense, SDK proved in his stint in the ruck that he is capable of gathering more of the pill around the ground than Blitz when given the chance to do so, and he is also a better ball user and decision maker.

My preference is to either play only two of the Stanley/SDK/Blicavs trio OR to use Blitz as a KPD and SDK in the old Blitz role like you said. One of those two options. I don't want us going back to Blitz as a mid and SDK as a defender.
Thing is he basically played that role, we had SDK and Blicavs ruck, and Blicavs form was poor at the time. SDK was in the Blicavs role, getting 20 touches and covering ground.
It wouldn't be much of a trial and has us in a better position because Blicavs has been better in defence, Stanley is good in the ruck so using SDK as a second ruck makes sense. Then gives us the option of SDK/Stanley forward if Neale struggles and gets subbed, or SDK into defence if Blicavs isn't doing well or is needed in midfield.

And its better than dropping Stanley.

Conditions weren't great and we looked like shit 😂

Sam showed some real positives, but it was interesting to watch our treatment of him - looked like we pulled him in the third quarter only for him to return to the field and start spending periods of time forward

He played bulk of the game in the ruck, and Conway would jump into him at every opportunity, so he'd likely be feeling it tomorrow

Just seemed really interesting that we didn't pull anyone from the match, and all named played through to the final siren

Although a different team (minus Danger, Bowes, Bruhn, Humphries, Neale, Mannagh) it must be remembered that Scott pulled Stanley half way through the second quarter the last time we played Port. A tactical sub. That's the night they trounced us early, around the ball at home, subbed in Mullin to quiet JHF, sent Stewy to the wing. Then we turned up our pressure to 206 and made a massive comeback (too late). I'm guessing it will all depend on how SDK pulls up, but surely won't go without him.

Whatever team we come up with, I reckon Scott is cannier than Ken doll, he and the troops will have learned. There's a benefit to having the best coach in the business.

Edit: Apologies CoolCat75 I just noticed you saying the same thing, basically

Thing is he basically played that role, we had SDK and Blicavs ruck, and Blicavs form was poor at the time. SDK was in the Blicavs role, getting 20 touches and covering ground.
It wouldn't be much of a trial and has us in a better position because Blicavs has been better in defence, Stanley is good in the ruck so using SDK as a second ruck makes sense. Then gives us the option of SDK/Stanley forward if Neale struggles and gets subbed, or SDK into defence if Blicavs isn't doing well or is needed in midfield.

And its better than dropping Stanley.

SDK is gold and must play if fit. Just as long as our defenders stay disciplined, and not have to give chop outs to the midfield, like they did last time-and then getting caught out while Port waltzed it in. The backs were bombarded. Stewart was tagged and moved, but I'm very positive he's adapted since then and will excel. So too, Danger is everything.

Watching the highlights of our last game v Port, our centre square mids where CGuthrie (lacking zip and form), Blitz (playing mid and was ineffective, Atkins, Parfitt and Clarke. Stanley was getting spanked by Visentini, so was subbed off, Blitz went into the ruck and Mulin tagged JHF. And we nearly reeled in an 8 goal deficit.

Now Port was without Rozee, but this time, our rotating 5 mids will be : Danger, Stewart, Atkins, Bruin and Bowes. They still have the talent edge, they deserve to be favourite, but we will be better.
Quietly confident for this game against the last time we played them.
There will be ebbs and flows and it'll come down to who capitalises in those moments. Must start well to quieten the passion and feralness of there supporters, just rewind to the most recent showdown to screw down on the hostility.
Cat's fans tend to travel well and we do have alot of supporters here in Adelaide.
There smalls in the fwd line will be the danger over there talls inc JH-f, Rozee & Butters. If we can lower the vision and change the lanes and hit up our fwds especially Jezza and Neale we can take Alir out of the equation.

Last edited:
The thought of leaving SDK out or as a sub in this Geelong side, so bereft of talent, is simply preposterous. He would be our best key defender, best ruck, and probably even best second tall forward option. And a useful winger.

But Scott has a habit of making ludicrous selections in week one of finals when he has too much time to think, so you probably can’t completely rule him out being sub.

'bereft of talent' ?

We're not the most talented side we've ever had at present, but 'bereft' sounds harsh.

Only 5 days recovery- how taxing did the game look?

There was a massive swirling wind which the grandstand protected on one side but not the other. Teams were reluctant to switch kick so game was largely played on one side of the field. So while sdk attended a lot of stoppages they were largely in one part of the ground and he would have not covered a heap of kms doing it. Physically the game wasnt that taxing.

There was a massive swirling wind which the grandstand protected on one side but not the other. Teams were reluctant to switch kick so game was largely played on one side of the field. So while sdk attended a lot of stoppages they were largely in one part of the ground and he would have not covered a heap of kms doing it. Physically the game wasnt that taxing.
People have been playing round 23 and backing up the next week until just recently. Not sure why everyone is getting worried over this-especially since he hasn't played for a while.

I said of the calibre of JHF. Brad hill isn’t in St kilda’s top half a dozen players and only got more than 14 disposals once in the last 5 matches of the season, and only reached 20 touches twice in the last 3 months. Not exactly like he was tearing it apart.

So again, if Mullin is capable of stopping the very elite players, why wouldn’t we have done that during the season? Wouldnt have been handy to stop bont or treloar in our loss to the dogs, or Warner or heeney, Cripps or Walsh?

Keep scraping the barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back