Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sub selection is going to be crucial both for strategy and insurance (against relapse injuries and counteraction). I could genuinely put a blanket over five realistic options but have no idea
It has to be Tuohy for sub, I reckon.

He's fairly versatile, smart player, quick, strong and experienced with a cool head.

Great burst player who might otherwise tire over 4 quarters.

Haha yeah I heard them talking about his "reason able" return of goals, including 15 assists, this year and I thought "Ollie Henry has nearly doubled him"

Ha! afraid to take the shot? or that Dixon will land on top of him again? He's not a selection certainty but he'll need to stack up and I'm betting on our D.

If they play 3 of Dixon, Ratugolea, Georgiadis and Marshall forward then we've got Blicavs, Henry and Kolo to take them.

The only reason Zuthrie would be needed is if they play all 4 forward. At that point good luck to them cause I doubt that structure works. We should keep our mobility and back ourselves to bring it to ground and rebound.
Ratugolea started well forward - 3 goals a game for 2 games. But hasn't scored in the last 3 outings.

I reckon they'll swing him back

Ratugolea started well forward - 3 goals a game for 2 games. But hasn't scored in the last 3 outings.

Match up to Neale? Good, he's too slow to take on our pint sized stars at their feet. Stengle needs to get on top, v last time, but the delivery will be better from our different midfield. Plus I do believe lightning won't strike twice on both Stewart and Tyson. Getting a bit exciting now.

During 22 when we won the GF we played Hawkins, Stanley, Blics, Cameron, SDK, Kolo and Henry so how was that fine and now its to tall?
The only difference would be Neale for Hawkins

Now if you want to argue we shouldn't play 1 of them based o form that is a whole different ball game.
The issue is Stanley and Blicavs are less mobile/agile than they were 2 years ago. Ollie Henry is also more static than 2022 pressure/aerial contest Rohan. Other veterans are slower than they were too. So I think there is genuine rationale for playing one less tall than we did in 2022.

Judging by Hinkleys recent interview they are either extremely confident they will beat us or readying themselves for excuses, hard to tell which one it is
Belief. After coming close the last 4 yrs or whatever it is.
He thinks they've earnt it. W the big games this yr has put them in there best position to do so.
Despite there deficiencies, all the team is playing there role.

The issue is Stanley and Blicavs are less mobile/agile than they were 2 years ago. Ollie Henry is also more static than 2022 pressure/aerial contest Rohan. Other veterans are slower than they were too. So I think there is genuine rationale for playing one less tall than we did in 2022.
So not to tall but form which is a whole different conversation like i said.

He thinks they've earnt it. W the big games this yr has put them in there best position to do so.
Port have the best chance they have had under Hinkley to not only make a GF (that's right he hasn't made 1) but to win it as this year doesn't have any standout teams and i could honestly see everyone except Carlton winning it.

During 22 when we won the GF we played Hawkins, Stanley, Blics, Cameron, SDK, Kolo and Henry so how was that fine and now its to tall?
The only difference would be Neale for Hawkins

Now if you want to argue we shouldn't play 1 of them based on form that is a whole different ball game.

Blicavs was a midfielder in 2022. He's struggled there this year and he's been much improved since being pushed back as a key defender with licence to run forward from there. Without him playing effectively as a small our structure looks too tall to me.

Match up to Neale? Good, he's too slow to take on our pint sized stars at their feet. Stengle needs to get on top, v last time, but the delivery will be better from our different midfield. Plus I do believe lightning won't strike twice on both Stewart and Tyson. Getting a bit exciting now.
With our outs last time it gave them the freedom to lockdown Stewart etc.

It won't be an easy option this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it matters less than having aggressive smalls. We are top 2 in Contested Possessions and Centre Clearances, despite our weaker midfield tag, and Stanley's tendency to be inconsistent. We are also runners (top in metres gained) so it's the quality that we feed to forwards we need to excel in.....find a path to better execution and system because long bombs to Neale and Henry arent going to cut it. We need to give them a chance.

Esava won't play down back. Have it on very good authority Port don't rate him as a defender. Was told "he is good if you want a KPD purely shutting down a forward, but he offers nothing offensively and that's not how we operate."

Esava won't play down back. Have it on very good authority Port don't rate him as a defender. Was told "he is good if you want a KPD purely shutting down a forward, but he offers nothing offensively and that's not how we operate."
He's done wonders for our forward structure though. Just having another competitive marking forward straightens the whole team up.

He says nothing in the past matters. Hopefully then, he doesn't give any thought to the good players we've returned and introduced since we last met, or the mental toll it takes being tipped out of finals, or being booed by his own.

Didn’t they sign him to a longish term contract at reportedly around 700k specifically to be a KPD?

So nobody bothered to tell them that before they gave him a 5 year deal as a key defender?

Champion Data confirmed this as well, 17th in defending once ball is inside 50, 18th in defending ground balls.

They get even worse with Sav in there.

Number 2 groundball team in the comp is Geelong.
Number 2 scoring off ground balls is Geelong

Port suck at defending ground balls.
We have a very good chance to upset them on Thursday.

Port have finished 1,2,3 in the last 3 years or something like that and not made a GF.

The pressure is ALL on them to win this. WE can win it and want to win but if it doesnt happen.. no matter, 4 in 16 years is some comfort and provides plenty of DVD 's to watch.

Port.... dont choke it out now.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back