Preview Qualifying Final - Hawks vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a feeling I've had, so I'll put it out there.

THIS will be the finals series that tranforms Cyril from 'delicious' or 'special' or any other epithet, into great.

Bookmark it.

I'd have Ellis in for Guerra. The game should be a cracker, and I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome, it will be close. And to be honest, I can see why teams love playing the underdog card. Yes we are favoured for a reason, but media jumping on our bandwagon makes me very nervous. Outside of a win, my biggest wish is to have Schoenmakers play a blinder. He has been rightly criticised at times, but god it would be great if he owned it in a final. That the umps not screwing us over. I'm not going to even think about ifs and buts further on in the finals until the siren sounds on Friday.

I'd have Ellis in for Guerra. The game should be a cracker, and I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome, it will be close. And to be honest, I can see why teams love playing the underdog card. Yes we are favoured for a reason, but media jumping on our bandwagon makes me very nervous. Outside of a win, my biggest wish is to have Schoenmakers play a blinder. He has been rightly criticised at times, but god it would be great if he owned it in a final. That the umps not screwing us over. I'm not going to even think about ifs and buts further on in the finals until the siren sounds on Friday.

I did enjoy how Clarko ignored the Buckley attempt at playing that underdog card by simply stating that they have won a couple and we have won a couple and it should be a cracking game.

This is how I have seen the past 6 weeks. For whatever reason poor starts have been linked with training loads (Geelong). When our 1st qtr performances dropped off, I assumed we were preparing for the finals. Our start against Port Adelaide was exactly the same as our start against Geelong. The most encouraging aspect about last Friday night was our start. When the game was on we were harder and quicker than WC.

I'd suggest that poor starts & training blocks are coincidental at best, otherwise we'd be dropping off towards the end of games, not coming back from 42 & 38 points down.

I think our poor starts were a reflection of the game style we were playing. We play a certain style whereby our guys give a little bit of room & as such take a bit of room from our opponents - that way we get the ball with a bit of space & have time to run & hit targets with precision by foot. Geelong & Sydney (Port less able to execute) both worked out that our ability to kick with precision (or even get kicks at all) is severely reduced if they allow us no room; hence, they played very tight to us & killed our disposal.

When we eventually changed to a similar style our more skillful (IMO) team beat theirs at their own games. We are damn good at that type of contested & physical footy, but it's clearly not our preferred style of play. (I thought that in both games we kept trying to go back to our preferred style, with varying success).

Collingwood & Essendon paid the price for paying us no respsect as neither tried to counter us, both instead playing their own style, sort of like a head-to-head fashion. That worked well for us, but IMO there's little chance Collingwood will be so quick to try it again this Friday night.

* If I had an issue with the above it's that we waited until 1/4 time to revert back to a 1-on-1 style against Geelong & Sydney & didn't do it when 4 goals down, 20 minutes in - if only to save the quarter. Both games were effectively gone before we even started fighting back.

Buckley was just on the Ch10 news saying he is pissed off with everyone writing the Magpies off!? What the? I havent heard anyone write them off at all. So he is still trying to get the underdog collar attached.

* If I had an issue with the above it's that we waited until 1/4 time to revert back to a 1-on-1 style against Geelong & Sydney & didn't do it when 4 goals down, 20 minutes in - if only to save the quarter. Both games were effectively gone before we even started fighting back.

Be nice to see them reverse it and open the game up in this style on Friday because you can almost bet your house Buckley will have looked at the Port/Geel/Syd games and will try and catch us out early. Try to control the game early with tight, contested possession, man up on their defenders and kill their run and then open up to our preferred style in the 2nd/3rd quarter and blow it out of sight.

Be nice to see them reverse it and open the game up in this style on Friday because you can almost bet your house Buckley will have looked at the Port/Geel/Syd games and will try and catch us out early. Try to control the game early with tight, contested possession, man up on their defenders and kill their run and then open up to our preferred style in the 2nd/3rd quarter and blow it out of sight.

Agreed.

Don't know about anyone else, but i strongly believe we havnt flexed our muscles yet, and have been toying with our opposition.
Something tells me we have a few things up our sleeves and we will hold off until this Friday!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that Buckley is peeved with the media, as he thinks nobody believes that they can win. That is crap Buckley. Maybe he thinks they don't get enough publicity, twit McGuire always have that club in the media..Wow, I wonder why!:rolleyes:Buckley is probably changing structures etc,game plans and if does, then I am sure that Clarko would have plan A,B,C worked out. We didn't get there through not changing the game, to combat the opposition!The one thing Buckley surely realised , it was ONLY the scum they played last. They had an easy game, what opposition did Cloke have? The opposition were pathetic. Sure he would be pleased they won,but to a team like the SCUM??? pffftttt..Nothing to get excited about Buckley, this week you will know who you are playing!;)

Buckley was just on the Ch10 news saying he is pissed off with everyone writing the Magpies off!? What the? I havent heard anyone write them off at all. So he is still trying to get the underdog collar attached.

SomeOne should of reminded him that he started that spin on Saturday after the game and to make it worse the body language indicated he was serious.

Not me... I think u will smash us.

And then lose to the cats in a Prelim.

And then everyone will laugh.:D

Geelong has to stumble past freo this week. If there is an upset this weekend, this is the likely one. Freo are playing better than most people give them credit for. They are a show even without Mcpharlin

Speaking of favourites, gotta give credit whrre it's due - back in 2008, Geelong allowed us to be underdogs with very little pressure on us so we could just 'do what we do' without the spotlight shining on our faces. Perfect for a young team coming through to win a premiership. Thanks for that. :)

Now in 2012, our list has matured and finishing on top of the ladder puts a bit more pressure on us. However, the players are experienced enough now to handle that spotlight and still perform at their best. We've timed this quite well... let's hope the little surprises Clarko is hinting at pays off in dividends this Friday so we can stamp ourselves all over this year's flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back