Preview Qualifying Final - Hawks vs West Coast - Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read through both boards preview threads in entirety.

With the exception of a minority the over riding feeling on the West Coast board to me feels like an over compensating confidence. They seem to be trying to convince themselves of everything (weather, Nic Nat's influence, midfield superiority, etc) through bravado statements. A lot of festering anger too which I'm not sure the reason for that is.

Feeling here seems to be a reserved quiet confidence that this team will deliver first week of finals like it has the past 3 years but tempered by the nervousness of knowing this has been a fairly inconsistent year and we haven't seemed to fix our first quarter issues yet.

Baited responses on both boards aside there is a lot more respect for the opposition being shown on here than over there. Or perhaps it would be accurate to say there is far less respect being shown over there than on here.
Bravado probably shows there's respect for Hawthorn, even if it isn't expressed.

My take is there's no more respect being shown over here, not least because many (not all!) posters have been fairly dismissive of the Eagles and the task of playing at Subi. We also get way less offended reading our own boards so you need to allow for that.

Having said that, it's the champ's prerogative to be dismissive of challengers until one of them wins.

To be honest, I didn't think they were that over confident.

They have a mixture of poster, some confident, some not so. Just as any supporters might be.

But I just had trouble reading through every second post about how Hodge is a sniping coward, who is the worst person on the planet because he blew slightly over the legal limit. Apparently in Perth, if you blow over 0.05 it is an offence punishable by death (unless your name is Ben Cousines).

They have a mixture of poster, some confident, some not so. Just as any supporters might be.

But I just had trouble reading through every second post about how Hodge is a sniping coward, who is the worst person on the planet because he blew slightly over the legal limit. Apparently in Perth, if you blow over 0.05 it is an offence punishable by death (unless your name is Ben Cousines).
Cousins didn't blow over 0.05 though as he was not in the car to be tested ;)

Or Daniel Kerr, or Daniel Chick, or Michael Gardiner, or Michael Braun, or Chris Mainwaring (too soon?) :drunk:

The cocked up Eagles having a go at the misdemeanors at a number club, I'll be. Wasnt their premiership captain / coach a licensed pharmacist?

Just in case there was any doubt that our first quarters have been our problem in 2015...

Percentages by quarter
1st: 119.6% 2nd: 160.3% 3rd: 192.1% 4th: 166.3%

View attachment 171786
So long as we have our noses in front at the first change, we'll be in a good position.

This is a virtual GF, as I think the winner of this will be very hard to beat over the last two weeks of the season.

So long as we have our noses in front at the first change, we'll be in a good position.

This is a virtual GF, as I think the winner of this will be very hard to beat over the last two weeks of the season.
3 goals is the best quarter time defict we've been able to over come this season. Reassuringly that was in round 19 against West Coast in similar weather conditions. Hopefully we can at least break even in the first quarter and then hit them hard particularly in the 3rd quarter.

Interesting stat Scott Lucas said last night on SEN when he was doing his Captain Not So Obvious segment last night.

When playing team in the eight our percentage was 158%.
We had the lowest points against, average was 66 points.
We were the only team to average more than 100 points for.
We had the best win loss ration (6 wins, 2 losses), of which we all new this, with the dogs being the next best ratio of 5 and 3

Spot on. Fremantle are petrified of us. Anywhere anyplace anytime except Hawthorn. Loser mentality
Agreed, if West Coast want to win a flag they simply must learn how to match with Hawthorn for every single quarter. I know all the fans and the team know this is going to be the sternest of all tests. Hawthorn have played in 4 grand finals so they know what it takes to perform on the big stage. I cant wait to see how the eagles are going to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find guys that your team has the highest respect from all concerned at the Eagles board. Always will be some banter and if anything it is jealousy of just how good you guys are and have been. We are excited to be playing in a home final against you guys and finally find out where we are at.
Should be a great game and one I am looking forward to.

I wouldn't go there girlfriend..maybe in the Bay..not in this thread..

Now lets talk about the mob that wore the embarrassing Power Ranger jumper that beat the highest differential free kick winners from 2011 - 2015. What a leg up that is.
..who would be more embarrassed if we beat you twice in that shiny dance number..us or you?
Maybe you play better in the power ranger kit....

Also you won the free kick count that night so it was not such a huge miracle.

I think you will find guys that your team has the highest respect from all concerned at the Eagles board. Always will be some banter and if anything it is jealousy of just how good you guys are and have been. We are excited to be playing in a home final against you guys and finally find out where we are at.
Should be a great game and one I am looking forward to.

I am a firm believer that everyone should be mouthing off beforehand, because only one side can mouth off afterwards, and the other side is usually not listening anymore :)

Nope. Biting can lead to infection which can lead to death. Drink driving can lead to crashes which can lead to death. POTENTIAL outcomes are the same.

Whatever. Don't underestimate an AA and Norm Smith medallist full back - I see your Nic Nat and I raise you a Lake, in which Kennedy or Darling drown.
Nice analogy but i see your Lake and raise you a skiing Coleman Medallist , Kennedy is known as the skier in the Excers team so if he has his skis on he will water ski all over Lake and have fun while doing it

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned as a Hawthorn trump, probably because it doesn't fit the narrative, is that last time we played the Boo!gles we out tackled them 101 to 68. Shiels had 17, Cyril 9, Stratton & McEvoy 8 each & Hodge & Bruest 7 each.

We know what type of intensity we have to bring tomorrow. It's already been on show. And it'll go up another several notches come tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back