Preview Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleary is the one I feel sorry for,looks like he is going to miss out.
Yep, also feel for Adams if left out and don’t forget Wicks. Poor Sam rubbed out unfairly imo has lost his chance to break back in (whether he could is another matter).

23 very happy players, 3 or 4 hard luck stories but they should be proud of what they’ve contributed throughout the year no matter what.

Fast players win premierships.

Yep, also feel for Adams if left out and don’t forget Wicks. Poor Sam rubbed out unfairly imo has lost his chance to break back in (whether he could is another matter).

23 very happy players, 3 or 4 hard luck stories but they should be proud of what they’ve contributed throughout the year no matter what.

Cleary even if he misses out looks like a big future ahead of him at the swans.What I have seen of him something special I like and huge potential.

Running and playing in a game, particularly a final is comparing apples to oranges. They are worlds apart.
As I've already said, they have both missed a number of games and they both need to play, not just train. If either of them doesn't play against GWS, you may as well put a line through them for the rest of the year.
Getting them both match fit is important, but I also think it's an unnecessary risk to bring them both back in the same final. Some might say a QF is worth the risk as you have the double chance, but I think winning it gives a much greater chance of winning the whole thing.

There are hard luck stories every year with finals, remember McGlynn in 2012, Stewie in 2005.

I dont feel sorry for Cleary just purely because of his age and the fact that we've got most of our bases covered.

He's shown plenty and will get his opportunity, but it just wasn't the right time / opportunity for him at this stage.

But if he does get to see the team win the premiership I'm sure it'll spur him on to train hard and work towards cementing a spot in the team.

I dont feel sorry for Cleary just purely because of his age and the fact that we've got most of our bases covered.

He's shown plenty and will get his opportunity, but it just wasn't the right time / opportunity for him at this stage.

But if he does get to see the team win the premiership I'm sure it'll spur him on to train hard and work towards cementing a spot in the team.
Cleary to me seems a better player in the seniors then the limited chances I have been able to watch him in the reserves.Perhaps an issue a lot of potential good players and even senior players coming back via the reserves face with the poorer standard of VFL football.

Cleary to me seems a better player in the seniors then the limited chances I have been able to watch him in the reserves.Perhaps an issue a lot of potential good players and even senior players coming back via the reserves face with the poorer standard of VFL football.
I think for a lot of players it’s easier to play at the top level. Of course a player has to be able to adjust to the pace and pressure of AFL level football, but if you can do that, you then find yourself in a better structured system with team mates you can rely on to execute skills (most of the time), support you, be in the right place etc.

I think it’s really hard for our fringe players to demonstrate whether they’re ready or not playing in our dysfunctional VFL team.

I think for a lot of players it’s easier to play at the top level. Of course a player has to be able to adjust to the pace and pressure of AFL level football, but if you can do that, you then find yourself in a better structured system with team mates you can rely on to execute skills (most of the time), support you, be in the right place etc.

I think it’s really hard for our fringe players to demonstrate whether they’re ready or not playing in our dysfunctional VFL team.
This as interesting topic and you both make great points.

For some players, the 2nd tier is their ceiling. But for other players, a better structure / better drilled team allows them to elevate their game and showcase their skills.

I guess we just need to back the coaches being able to see the potential during matches as well as the training track and provide opportunities to the right players.

I guess we just need to back the coaches being able to see the potential during matches as well as the training track and provide opportunities to the right players.
I think that’s key. As fans we like to voice our team selection opinions based on what we see on game day (AFL or VFL). But the coaches have far more information available to them.

I think that’s key. As fans we like to voice our team selection opinions based on what we see on game day (AFL or VFL). But the coaches have far more information available to them.
I think 9 times out of 10, coaches have been right. But along the journey there have been some decent BF calls made. Mills to the midfield, and this year Mills to defence. But once again. There's usually a reason why certain moves are or aren't made by coaches and we only have part of the story to go by.

This as interesting topic and you both make great points.

For some players, the 2nd tier is their ceiling. But for other players, a better structure / better drilled team allows them to elevate their game and showcase their skills.

A good example is Wicks who seem to struggle in the couple of games before he got suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all. Great read of everyone's comments.
IMO it's the toughest deciision on a Swans team in a long time.
Out: Cleary, Fox and Francis
In: Heeney, Papley, JMac, McCartin
Sub: Parker
Emerg: Cleary, Fox

Cleary has done well and looks like he will be a terrific mid in a year or two. This is about the now though and that 23 is great.
Parker to sub Adams in a perfect world where everyone gets through.

Was thinking of going to this one, but forgot to log on for tickets in time. Oh well, maybe the prelim if the Swans get up.

Cleary has done well and looks like he will be a terrific mid in a year or two. This is about the now though and that 23 is great.

Was thinking of going to this one, but forgot to log on for tickets in time. Oh well, maybe the prelim if the Swans get up.
Welcome to the board, friend.

Welcome to the board, Parker sub is interest. I know this sounds outlandish but has anyone considered Jake Lloyd as sub? Can play both Wing and Halfback roles so is more versatile and allows more of the contested bulls to start the game. Just chucking it out there

Hey there, welcome!

I completely agree, the only question mark is Parks as sub.
What a great position to be in, 100% full strength. We really have no excuses.

I think you nailed the lineup, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be Campbell as sub.

Welcome to the board, Parker sub is interest. I know this sounds outlandish but has anyone considered Jake Lloyd as sub? Can play both Wing and Halfback roles so is more versatile and allows more of the contested bulls to start the game. Just chucking it out there
I prefer Lloyd as sub as well.

Adams would be my second choice.

Edit: Campbell as sub also works for me, then Lloyd, then Adams.

I think you nailed the lineup, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be Campbell as sub.
Think you could be right on that. The Parker sub would just be what I would do. Get the sting out of the game and bring in the vet.
For the season Parker, Adams, Campbell are all the lowest time on ground rime % (all in the 60% tier) other than Cleary who is at 45.5 after 91% on the weekend (which kind of highlights the coaching group knows he won't be playing in the finals and gave him a really good run while resting some others).

So it looks likely to be one of the 3 initially mentioned.

Good point. Lloyd could be sub too given how flexible his position can be and Mills playing more as a defender now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back