Preview Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Great read of everyone's comments.
IMO it's the toughest deciision on a Swans team in a long time.
Out: Cleary, Fox and Francis
In: Heeney, Papley, JMac, McCartin
Sub: Parker
Emerg: Cleary, Fox

Cleary has done well and looks like he will be a terrific mid in a year or two. This is about the now though and that 23 is great.
Parker to sub Adams in a perfect world where everyone gets through.

Was thinking of going to this one, but forgot to log on for tickets in time. Oh well, maybe the prelim if the Swans get up.
Wait a second have you accidentally named 24 players here?
Fox Francis and Cleary out open 3 slots in the 23. Of those 3 slots 2 of them are in the 22 and one of them is sub. If you are subsequently putting Parker in that Sub role that opens up 3 slots in the 22. However, you have named 4 players coming into the side for 3 spots. Or have i missed something

My mental health has been shite for a week. Extreme anxiety but I came in here and saw some beautiful positive posts and am starting to feel a tad better after that.

I Reckon we can go all the way and beat Port on the MCG

You take care of yourself !!

Wait a second have you accidentally named 24 players here?
Fox Francis and Cleary out open 3 slots in the 23. Of those 3 slots 2 of them are in the 22 and one of them is sub. If you are subsequently putting Parker in that Sub role that opens up 3 slots in the 22. However, you have named 4 players coming into the side for 3 spots. Or have i missed something
Yes. you're correct. Looks like Parker or Campbell misses too. Would have to look into that a little deeper though.

Yes. you're correct. Looks like Parker or Campbell misses too. Would have to look into that a little deeper though.
Personally think it would be Campbell that misses out because he plays on the wing alot and we are bringing in McInerney to play basically the exact same role. Alongside the fact that you already have Gulden, Florent and Lloyd that have spent alot of time on the wing

I have no idea how the pressure index (that they periodically flash up during matches) is computed. But we’re generally described as one of the highest pressure sides, particularly when we’re “on”.

I believe there’s a lot more to pressure than tackling. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if we deliberately hold off tackling at times, in favour of corralling, rushing at opponent. Of course there’s a place for a tackle, but when a player fully commits to one they often take themselves out of any follow up play so you need to know you have team mates around you for the next phase of pressure or to collect the ball if it falls free.
I heard it explained on SEN a while ago. Basically it comes down to how many players are in the vicinity of the ball carrier and what they are doing... chasing, corralling, about to tackle, actually tackling etc. Each disposal is given a rating (the more pressure they're under the higher the rating is). So the pressure rating is the average of how much pressure each disposal from the opposing team was under at the time.

So yeah, corralling etc will contribute to the rating too.

I heard it explained on SEN a while ago. Basically it comes down to how many players are in the vicinity of the ball carrier and what they are doing... chasing, corralling, about to tackle, actually tackling etc. Each disposal is given a rating (the more pressure they're under the higher the rating is). So the pressure rating is the average of how much pressure each disposal from the opposing team was under at the time.

The limitation here and for the "pressure acts" stat is a few important "pressure" events that don't get counted.

E.g.

If you corral at a distance to prevent run or opponents leading into space, you frustrate ball movement and put perceived pressure on the ball carrier (leading to actual pressure if someone else gets near to them while they make a decision).

If you man the mark quickly to prevent quick movement.

If you're in a defender or defensive fwd role and you're not giving your opponent space on the lead or while rebounding, it reduces the options a ball carrier has to pass to, and they may run out of time or just bang it long to a pack.

So if someone has high PAs, especially as a non mid, they're likely doing pretty well at impacting opponents or working hard trying (based on what is measured), but if a non mid doesn't have high PAs, it doesn't necessarily mean they are lazy/not doing their job (based on what it doesn't measure).

I just don't see a world in which Adams is dropped.

1. We recruited him knowing he's a hack kick
2. We recruited him for his leadership and experience
3. We didn't recruit him to drop him in September

So for mine, yes, for mine
Out: Clearly, Campbell, Fox, Francis
In: Heeney, McCartin, Papley, McInerney

I just don't see a world in which Adams is dropped.

1. We recruited him knowing he's a hack kick
2. We recruited him for his leadership and experience
3. We didn't recruit him to drop him in September

So for mine, yes, for mine
Out: Clearly, Campbell, Fox, Francis
In: Heeney, McCartin, Papley, McInerney
We did recruit him:

1. before Heeney switched to the midfield
2. when Mills was going to miss a chunk of the season
3. when JJ hadn't locked a spot in the 22
4. before a couple of others have shown some form up forward (where he'll be relegated to a fair bit)

But I also don't see him being dropped. It'll likely just mean we have a forward line easier to rebound from.

Explanation taken from another site

Screenshot_20240829_181628_Samsung Internet.jpg

Rodney Eade in the video at the top of the link highlights what a sh*t stain channel seven is on the AFL, and also how pathetically weak the AFL leadership was in not holding to its own rules for finals scheduling.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Andrew Dillon owed his CEO appointment / career progression before that point to Kerry Stokes. He has literally pissed off Sydney, GWS, Western Bulldogs and Carlton and also thrown away an opportunities to grow the future of the game in Sydney and support AFLW - all to line to the back pocket of Kerry Stokes and his incompetent management team that clearly don’t think they are capable of getting AFL fans to watch fierce rivalries play out in packed stadiums in finals, including the top of the table team.

What a joke…

I would have far preferred we won it without him.

You seem really determined to put words into my mouth here.

Not sure I can make myself clearer: some things are more important than winning.
I understand where you're coming from and to be honest I was glad to see the end of Barry Hall as well as he really lost it over his last two years with us. But, I was happy to cheer him on when he was kicking goals for us and making us a successful team culminating in the 2005 premiership.
I would suggest here wasn't a single Swan supporter who had the time of day for Tony Lockett after he rearranged Peter Caven's face and yet the following season he was a Sydney Swans player. Even I came to love Plugger and all his thuggerish times at St.Kilda were forgotten.
I still remember my wife saying that she was going to support another club when the news of Buddy joining Sydney came out. "I can't stand him and there's no way I will ever barrack for him" she said. Well, didn't take her long before she was screaming out Buddyyyyyyy!
So, if you are one of the people who chose not to support Hall and Lockett due to them being thugs at one time, you are entitled to do so. I'm more forgiving when they wear the red and white.

Hey all. Great read of everyone's comments.
IMO it's the toughest deciision on a Swans team in a long time.
Out: Cleary, Fox and Francis
In: Heeney, Papley, JMac, McCartin
Sub: Parker
Emerg: Cleary, Fox

Cleary has done well and looks like he will be a terrific mid in a year or two. This is about the now though and that 23 is great.
Parker to sub Adams in a perfect world where everyone gets through.

Was thinking of going to this one, but forgot to log on for tickets in time. Oh well, maybe the prelim if the Swans get up.

SwansLifer

Draftee -Joined Yesterday at 3:20 PM

Posts 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SwansLifer

Draftee -Joined Yesterday at 3:20 PM

Posts 6

(Welcome to BF, SwansLifer With No Underscore, but maybe you should change your username?)

Greetings fellow board members on this sunny Friday.

Would like to open this post with a famous but apt quote by Sun Tzu - ‘Every battle is won before it’s even fought’

And that is exactly what will happen v GWS. Our elite conditioning staff has got us to selecting from a full list, a full list I tell you ! That’s right Adnico26Parker, what’s the point of an injury update when you don’t have any ?

Not only are we healthy but we are refreshed and well rested. But wait there’s more, we’ve also hit a new level of peak fitness. But even that’s not all, now our care factor can go up from 0 to 100 as we finally have something to play for.

And the fact that our Big 3 are affirmed as Australia’s Big 3 means it will be just like the Moore Park car park, one way traffic.

I for one will be there to witness us enjoy the spoils of war v our western neighbours.

JHWF - your friendly arbiter of speed and part-time philosopher.

top of 30 next saturday. vastly different to the 2 derbies...rain
Hang on, where are you getting that forecast from?

BoM is only going as far as next Friday. And all the sites I’ve found that offer a longer forecast (though I admit I have no idea how trustworthy any of them are) are painting a very different picture of a maximum in the 20s and no rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back