Preview R6: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Saturday 9th @2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just beat the swans at home.. um yeah... their legit.

They're going to be a good team, and will do better this season than most expected, but beating the Swans once doesn't mean anything. GWS beat the Swans last year. They lost to Hawthorn by 70 points. They're legitimately a good team, but they aren't top 4 good.

Great win yes, but it is only round 5. No way do Dogs make top 4 this year. Hawthorn completely dismantled them 2-3 weeks ago. They still have a long way to go before they consistently match it with the very best.
they probably burn out in the second half of the year being so young, but so far they've had the 3rd toughest draw and sitting quite well at 4-1.
4 other Teams have beat the Swans at the SCG since 2012, they've done quite well that year
North 2014 - made prelim
Geelong 2013 - made semi final
Hawks 2012 - runner up
Adelaide 2012 - made prelim

Hawks dismantled them off a loss which they do to every one they play off of one, Dogs had 2 injuries very early on in the game though too

They've beaten West Coast, Richmond, Adelaide and Sydney. (Two who didn't ever play finals last year and one smashed first week).

Three of them are yet to really defeat a good side. Sydney was a good win for sure especially at the SCG.

For example those three teams wins

West Coast: Carlton, Brisbane, GWS

Richmond: Carlton, Brisbane

Adelaide: North, Collingwood, Melbourne

I understand you can only beat who is in front of you but Carlton, Brisbane are guaranteed bottom three IMO and Melbourne bottom 5.

You can argue Adelaide defeated good opponents in North and Collingwood but even those two haven't defeated anyone to brag about. Pies have beaten three bottom 5 club in Lions/saints/blues and Essendon a team saints almost beat.

They're playing good footy but try not to get too carried away. Not a top 4 club..

It has been a really open start to the season though! Cannot argue that.

Selections will be very interesting this week. For the first time this year I think we'll have the stronger midfield, but we'll need to be wary of the drive and rebound provided by the Dogs defence. We need to keep the pressure on in our forward line; Roo is a workhorse but isn't agile or explosive enough to catch running defenders so I'd like to see him on a wing. Give Savage the week to make sure his hammy is right and we don't need Schneider's experience with Joey and Roo back.

Out: Savage (inj), Schneider
In: Montagna, Riewoldt

B: Dempster, Delaney, Webster
HB: Roberton, Fisher, Newnes
C: Riewoldt, Armitage, Montagna
HF: Billings, Bruce, Dunstan
F: Lonie, Hickey, Membrey

Foll: Longer, Steven, Weller
Int: Acres, Sinclair, Geary, McKenzie (sub)

This would be by far the strongest team we've fielded this year. Swap Geary and McKenzie for Gilbert and Savage and we'd be at full strength IMO. You could make an argument for Ross and Ray as well but I'd have Acres and Sinclair ahead of those two.

Forward, I'd structure up like this:

HF: Membrey Riewoldt Billings
F: Hickey Bruce Lonie

Nick to push up high (roaming) & allow space for Hickey & Bruce.

Talia (Bruce), Roberts (Riewoldt) & Roughead (Hickey) are their talls, which would leave Membrey to be opposed by Lukas Webb or Robert Murphy. TBH, I wouldnt mind that.... :)
Nah we still have Easton Wood who has been playing really well and would be a decent matchup for Membrey.
No counting chickens really, a majority think we'll have a down patch and lose some that we maybe favourites in. Most see this as a definite danger game. Definitely two of the most exciting young players lists in the comp for sure.
Anyway all the best all, may it be injury free!

Schneider won't he dropped. Move on.

I'm not basing this on his misses. I'm basing it on the fact that we have numerous kids who play a similar role and have been performing well. I think he was kept in the side out of necessity with the amount of experience that we were missing, but with Riewoldt and Montagna back we have plenty of experience and leadership in the forward line and midfield. It would certainly be counter-productive to drop Sinclair, Acres, McKenzie, Billings or Lonie ahead of Schneider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer is the matchup that really worries me.

Fisher would be the go for mine. I don't think Delaney is mobile enough, whereas Fish has proven quite agile and capable since returning. Doesn't give up more than a centimetre, either. He is very dangerous, though. I think he might have a good day.

I'm really pretty excited for this game.

If we are going to meet this mob it will be this week when they are ripe for the picking. The game up in Sydney would have been a tough game both physically and emotionally and they're definitely due a flat spot after two scintillating weeks of footy.

If we crack in hard early and get ourselves in to the contest like we have the last two weeks then the young minds might start to frail a little bit.

All in all another no-lose scenario for us where we can go in and have a fair dinkum crack which is what I expect every week.

It's that time of the week!

VFL STATS
Tom Curren: 27 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles

Josh Saunders: 23 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles

Eli Templeton: 20 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 2 hitouts

Darren Minchington: 18 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal, 3 behinds

Nathan Wright: 18 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles

Tom Lee: 14 disposals, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 6 hitouts

Ahmed Saad: 12 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 2 behinds

Tom Simpkin: 12 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles

Patrick McCartin: 12 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 behind

Brodie Murdoch: 11 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles

Spencer White: 8 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 3 goals, 1 behind

Jason Holmes: 8 disposals, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 37 hitouts

Hugh Goddard: 4 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackles

Who was counting those touches.

I counted 7 for McCartin and 2 marks, and if Saad got ten touches, I'll go hee... He had Half a dozen in the last, but never got a sniff until then... I actually never saw him touch it.

Eli surely had more of the ball... I had him at about 15 at HT

Minchington would have got 8-10 in the last quarter

Saw Holmes take a hanger... But he was outdone when I saw one of biggest marks in my life by #11 for Northern... He sat Michael Roach style on our fwds shoulders and took a screamer and a half.

I saw the Doggies play Richmond a few weeks ago and was very impressed with their intensity and tackling pressure. That's what they will bring against us and the turnovers will allow them to rebound with ease. We'll need to bring the intensity we had against the Suns and up our disposal efficiency. We are a couple of years behind them as far as development goes. Their VFL side won the premiership last year against Box Hill Hawks so they're got some boys coming through with big game experience. I'm looking forward to the game to see how we stack up against them.

Now before anyone throws the first rock or throws the rope over a tree branch , im just interested in peoples views .
I was thinking if Roo is fit and plays , do we play him at CHB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back