Preview R8 Fremantle FC -V- Collingwood Magpies -=Who Will Win?=-

Remove this Banner Ad

You can keep the stats to your own forum. We had never won at the Gabba before, probably had the worst travelling record. Past seasons form is no measure now. If they don't treat the game more seriously than all the stat posters, you'll get a new one torn.

I doubt the Team would look at the Stats and Hopefully come out and play Freo on there merits

Guess you don't Watch Footy Mate. Only Good side you beat is Geelong and We Also should of Beaten the Saints too

Dave, there is a big difference between beating the reigning premiers, and losing to the Saints by 28 points in a "should have won" match. Dockers have the best win between the two sides by a long way, though I think our win against the Dogs would come next; followed by our win over the Blues and the Dockers over Brisbane away around equal [only because of Brisbane's injuries in defense, still a great win though].

Cmon, you know the answer to that already. ;)

We always only travel 4 times a year! I think 4 is the average for Vic clubs, we never seem to deviate, whilst others can have 6 in some cases, or 3 in Essendon's case. We certainly don't have the burden of consistent interstate travel that you have, but then we don't have the clear home ground advantage that you have either [it's like you playing West Coast every bloody week, except when we play non-Vic sides and teams like the Saints who are based at the Dome].

No actually I didn't know the answer, which is why I asked. That's interesting.

Also would love to play West Coast every week. We'd be assured of finals every year then :thumbsu:

All the Freo BF guys are happy to talk about matchups etc, if some seem hostile, every week we get a bunch of people jumping over here quoting stats and our win loss record, and abusing our posters for optimistically suggesting we could win.

fremantle by 4 goals

reasoning:

Dane Swan will be held accountable as i see him going head to head against michael barlow. swan may get his touches, but micky b will hurt him the other way. i see this as being a break even

scott pendlebury to be tagged out of the game by crowley. a whipping boy is crowley, i personally love him. he did a fantastic job on luke power last night, against the eagles he killed embley and against richmond he kicked a goal and kept deledio quiet (from memory) pendlebury is all class, and he will get the ball and use it well. i think creepy will limit his influence enough though

stephen hill, the pies will say that wellingham will run with him, but when hill has 14 effective disposals, 7 inside 50's, 4 goal assists and 1 goal to his name at half time, they will realise that they really dont have anyone that can go with the young champ.

pavlich, will drift into the middle, will sit in the forwardline, it wont matter where he goes, the pies dont have anyone to go with him

sandilands, as per normal will dominate. jolly is in horrible form in comparison to previous years, and even when up and running sandilands rag dolled him. wood will not even offer a yelp against the giant

leon davis, he ALWAYS slaughters us, i dont know what it is, but he just loves playing against us, we have to stop him, trouble is im not sure who we would put on him, if he is forward i would give the job to roger

didak, another that needs to be watched, i like the idea of manning broughton up against him. he is accountable, tough and quick enough to go with didak who is a seriously dangerous player

medhurst. horrible footballer, puts a whole new meaning to the word useless, front runner. play duffield on him, duff will hurt collingwood a hell of a lot more than medhurst will hurt us.

cloke/dawes Vs mcpharlin/tarrant- wont matter who plays on who, taz and elvis will win either way

i just cant see collingwoods forwardline scoring enough, and i cant see their backline restricting us enough. their midfield is no doubt quality, their backline solid, and they have some dangerous players forward. but playing us at home in the form we are in will be too much

fremantle to be on top of the ladder at the end of round 8

BTW.... i love the way harvey put in the whole "we are playing probably the best side in the comp this week" line, he really ahs learnt from the master sheedy, place all the pressure on collingwood, and then ambush them..... is turning into a very good coach. also threw in the "there will probably be 4 or 5 changes this week" to keep the pies guessing... im tipping 2 changes at an absolute maximum :D:thumbsu:

medhurst. horrible footballer, puts a whole new meaning to the word useless, front runner. play duffield on him, duff will hurt collingwood a hell of a lot more than medhurst will hurt us.

cloke/dawes Vs mcpharlin/tarrant- wont matter who plays on who, taz and elvis will win either way

i just cant see collingwoods forwardline scoring enough, and i cant see their backline restricting us enough. their midfield is no doubt quality, their backline solid, and they have some dangerous players forward. but playing us at home in the form we are in will be too much

BTW.... i love the way harvey put in the whole "we are playing probably the best side in the comp this week" line, he really ahs learnt from the master sheedy, place all the pressure on collingwood, and then ambush them..... is turning into a very good coach. also threw in the "there will probably be 4 or 5 changes this week" to keep the pies guessing... im tipping 2 changes at an absolute maximum :D:thumbsu:

Medders is Not Usless just because You Lot Gave Him to Us does not make him Usless. He is a Former AA and has Kicked 5-6 Goals in the last 2 Games.

You really underestimate our Forward Line There.

Medders is Not Usless just because You Lot Gave Him to Us does not make him Usless. He is a Former AA and has Kicked 5-6 Goals in the last 2 Games.

You really underestimate our Forward Line There.

i reckon medhurst is horrible. couldnt stand him when at freo and nothing he has done at the pies has changed my mind. medhurst got all australian in a year where he kicked less goals than what he did in his best year at freo.... he has the odd good game, but he is a front running, issue shirking pussy, who sooks when things dont go his way. heh and we didnt GIVE him too you, we traded him for the 2nd best full back in the league :D

with all due respect tarrant and mcpharlin just kept brown and fevola to 4 goals total. nothing dawes and cloke can throw will scare either of them. sidebottom had a blinder yesterday, do you expect him to kick another 5 on friday? didak and davis will be the big dangers as i said in my previous post. daisy thomas may bob up with a few.. but i stand by my statement. i dont think you will kick enough goals and i dont think you will be able to stop our forwardline which is currently running rampant... if not inaccurate. 4 goals will be about the margin IMO.

^

I agree, our two big forwards will be held to very few goals.

But we've had 13 goal kickers the last two weeks, and scored over 150 points in each. I think we're the highest or second highest scoring team, and we concede the third least points. I think both teams will probably be around the 100 point mark. But then, it's pure speculation from both of us... who knows what will happen.

^

But we've had 13 goal kickers the last two weeks, and scored over 150 points in each. I think we're the highest or second highest scoring team, and we concede the third least points. I think both teams will probably be around the 100 point mark. But then, it's pure speculation from both of us... who knows what will happen.

spot on hellfire. look its all speculation, im biased towards my club no doubt, as im sure you are to yours... nothing wrong with it, its just the way it is :) i think it will be a good game, probably the best of the friday nighters so far, although the pies bullies was a cracker. whoever wins though will be pretty happy.

^

We could throw a spanner in the works and name Jack Anthony who has kicked 10 in the last 2 weeks in the VFL. Subi is a big ground we could always go in 3 tall. P.s if sidebottom doesnt play well Beams will. Also we have Wellingham to come back in, and hes prob been our best player all year.

Look in all honesty, its subi YOUR home ground, you'll rightly be favourites, likewise if it was played at the G then we would. Both sides are in red hot form. Although the pies love being the underdogs, teams and supporters of late have always underestimated the 2010 Maggpies , many to their own peril. Remember this is a side that excels at 1 on 1 lock down footy, but this year we've gone zone. Although you have Sandi, the pies have played without a ruckmen for years so we are use to sharking it out the middle, alot of people forget this. Sandi will be huge for you but dont expect it to be easily once it hits the deck.

Personally i do think you will win but it will be nail biting stuff.

Huge and , you'd have to agree, unlikely in round 1, top of the table clash coming up.
I hope both sides are up and about and it's an enthralling game of footy, not a defender-fest.

Best of luck to the Dockers and congrats on a great start to the season.:thumbsu:

I got respect for how Freo is playing atm, but Pies are the better team and will win this game majority of the time. Your coach agrees;

"we're probably playing the best team in the competition next week though."

Out interstate record speaks for itself.

Why are you the better team in your opinion. Please expand. Your strengths against what you see as our weaknesses?? I genuinely would like to see your perspective instead of just a few lines.

One but cannot admire how well Collingwood are playing. Very dynamic and high scoring. You guys are ready for a red hot crack at the premiership and can take it up to the Cats & Saints. I am looking forward to Friday night. We don't get many Friday night games and its great we are playing the form side in the comp.

Your "interstate" record as you put it is good but you don't travel much..
I always find that term "interstate" funny. I can see why you guys say that. The very fact underlines the faults with the national league... but thats for another thread. Would be nice if we could play 8 away games at Subiaco as well...:)

Collingwood should be up for this as it's their first away match for the seaon... in round 8.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopped reading there, get a ******* clue.

They're worse than horrible then? Crabs perhaps. :rolleyes:

It's OUR opinion. You have yours. Lighten up.

BTW, thanks for Taz. Your talentless coaching squad didn't know what to do with him.

dont rate the pies they have beaten nobody to suggest they can match it with the best.....

keep lining em up and we will knock em down

It's very difficult to get a line on the form for this. Both teams have beaten every one who's been put in front of them except St Kilda. I think Collingwood have been more convincing in putting away their opponents, made Essendon look second rate. So did we but not quite as emphatically or as early in the match.

The side that gave Collingwood the best run apart from Saints was interestingly Melbourne who are playing a similar attacking style to us with direct, fast, corridor transition. Hard to see the Pies falling for that 3 card trick again though I'd suggest our zone defence is a little more polished than most of what they have faced this year.
What Collingwood do have is a very hard edged and polished midfield. We are doing a lot better in the clinches this year but I'm not sure we have what it takes to go toe to toe with the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, Didak, Johnson and co just yet. Both teams have excellent rebounding defenders and multiple scoring options up forward.

Anyhoo, I'm happy I've got a seat for the biggest game in town this week. Hopefully it lives up to the billing. At least I can be pretty sure our new hard edge team will give it a decent shake.

Medhurst has started the season pretty slowly. IIRC most of his goals in the last few weeks have come in junk time and he looks a step off his AA form from '08. Mind you I think he'll be keen to prove himself on his old hunting ground, away from the familiar surroundings of a Victorian ground...

I think we just need to kick straight. I'm confident the opportunities will come, we just need to convert them! (much like I expect the Pies will)

I'm nervous already and it's only the wee hours of Monday morning!

Living in Perth, funnily enough I have watched more Fremantle games this year then Collingwood ones, not by choice obviously!
Really looking forward to this game. Having watched most of the games between the 2 teams this year I think its pretty stupid for either club to come out and say we are better because we have player/s [x] or statistic {y}. Too much unknown going in, mainly stemming from the fact Fremantle have only been up and about for 2 months. Also we are playing a different style (so far) then what we have in the past so its 2 game styles against each other that haven't yet been matched yet.
At this stage its a coin toss

What Collingwood do have is a very hard edged and polished midfield. We are doing a lot better in the clinches this year but I'm not sure we have what it takes to go toe to toe with the likes of Pendlebury, Swan, Didak, Johnson and co just yet. Both teams have excellent rebounding defenders and multiple scoring options up forward.

Which is better? Geelong's premiership midfield with Ablett, Bartel, Ling, Corey, Selwood etc.? Or Collingwoods current?

Because we broke even if not beat Geelong's midfield (Who I think are the best in the league) when we played them last.

I think we can at min. break even which will give us a good chance.

This game will go down to the wire.It will be a classic hard tough encounter.

The purple haze have their strong positives.Home ground advantage.
Players like the Pav and sandilnads will be hard to stop.But Freo have recruited very well with other young stars like Hill,morabito,Barlow,DeBoer,and Palmer who has recently returned from injury will all be keen to play well in front of their home crowd.Of course Tarrant will play well against his old club and is in career best form at the moment.Ballantyne hasd added a new dimension to freo's forward line.

The pies on the other hand seem to travel well and are currently in very good form.

Our balance is good but must be on guard not to allow freo too much space cause their forwards will cut you to ribbons if left to run riot.

Freo will also however have their hands full to counter the likes of luke ball,thomas,didak,Neon Leon Davis,and the return of the brilliant Paul Medhurst to his old stomping ground.
Cloke and dawes are getting better on a weekly basis.
Steele sidebottom and baems have slotted into the midfield like a glove.

Either way whoever wins this one it will be a tight, tough, encounter.

Pies by 6 points !

fremantle by 4 goals

reasoning:

Dane Swan will be held accountable as i see him going head to head against michael barlow. swan may get his touches, but micky b will hurt him the other way. i see this as being a break even

scott pendlebury to be tagged out of the game by crowley. a whipping boy is crowley, i personally love him. he did a fantastic job on luke power last night, against the eagles he killed embley and against richmond he kicked a goal and kept deledio quiet (from memory) pendlebury is all class, and he will get the ball and use it well. i think creepy will limit his influence enough though

stephen hill, the pies will say that wellingham will run with him, but when hill has 14 effective disposals, 7 inside 50's, 4 goal assists and 1 goal to his name at half time, they will realise that they really dont have anyone that can go with the young champ.

pavlich, will drift into the middle, will sit in the forwardline, it wont matter where he goes, the pies dont have anyone to go with him

sandilands, as per normal will dominate. jolly is in horrible form in comparison to previous years, and even when up and running sandilands rag dolled him. wood will not even offer a yelp against the giant

leon davis, he ALWAYS slaughters us, i dont know what it is, but he just loves playing against us, we have to stop him, trouble is im not sure who we would put on him, if he is forward i would give the job to roger

didak, another that needs to be watched, i like the idea of manning broughton up against him. he is accountable, tough and quick enough to go with didak who is a seriously dangerous player

So basically everyone on your team will beat everyone on our team? You're a cutie

I'm with ya!

Collingwood are completely overrated;

Bulldogs (W - top 8), Melbourne (just barely a W, bottom 8), St Kilda (Liars - top 4), Hawthorn (W - bottom 4), Essendon (W - bottom 8), Carlton (W - top 8), Kangaroos (W - bottom 8).

All (effectively) HOME games.

Fremantle;

Adelaide (W - bottom 4), Essendon (W - bottom 8), Geelong (W - top 4), St Kilda (we should have not have Lost - top 4), Richmond (W - bottom 4), West Coast (W - bottom 8), Lions (W - top 8).

So it's a Top 4 win difference advantage to Freo, plus we have been REALLY travelling to do it.

Pies will be soft for a belting, plus Ch7 gets a ratings bonanza which really makes Eddie cry blood.

Interesting way of presenting results....

Our Melbourne win was 'just barely a win' however you 'should not have lost' against St Kilda. Way to put a bias spin on results.
Also we probably 'should' have beaten St Kilda also, as we were in the position to win, as you were. Simply put we were not good enough and you were good enough.

TAB is going to present an irresistible opportunity this weekend as you wouldn't find many situations when a team in as good form as the Pies are go into a game as underdogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R8 Fremantle FC -V- Collingwood Magpies -=Who Will Win?=-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back