Preview Rd 1 Geelong v Essendon Sat March 19 2:10 pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone 'young' and with breath in their body is in favour. You don't have to have ability and to have demonstrated you can contribute to a certain level. You just have to be young. The ironic thing is, if they get selected, after a couple of poor games, the same people demanding their selection will turn on them and then Scott will the bad guy who continues to play favourites and pick players who aren't displaying the form required.

Guys like Evans need to dominate VFL and bang down the door. Force the coaches to select them. The onus is on Evans and Co to do this.

Stengle and Dekonong selections are warranted, as they have obviously trained well and obviously met expectations of the MC during the pre season. It's clear Evans has not.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree totally. Let’s not beat around the bush, the young guys getting left out are not in the best team available with Duncan, Menegola, Bews, O’Connor?, Rohan and Miers all out.

Shows how far off they may actually be, and how thin our youth depth chart is.
People keep mentioning Narkle. Personally, I think he’s cooked. He has gone backwards and never looked close to looking like addressing his key deficiency (he runs only one way).
Constable category for mine. The scrap heap where he’s only here as no other club wanted him and we had a space.

2022 is his last chance imo. Breaks through or he’s bubkis.
I think he's a smart footballer who makes good decisions, is composed under pressure, kicks goals and is good overhead for his size. I didn't see the Suns game; he wasn't prominent against the Tigers but he was also playing a lot further up the ground than I'd previously seen.
I hope you end up right TJ.

Anyone 'young' and with breath in their body is in favour. You don't have to have ability and to have demonstrated you can contribute to a certain level. You just have to be young. The ironic thing is, if they get selected, after a couple of poor games, the same people demanding their selection will turn on them and then Scott will the bad guy who continues to play favourites and pick players who aren't displaying the form required.

Guys like Evans need to dominate VFL and bang down the door. Force the coaches to select them. The onus is on Evans and Co to do this.

Stengle and Dekonong selections are warranted, as they have obviously trained well and obviously met expectations of the MC during the pre season. It's clear Evans has not.

That isn't necessary at all. Plenty of guys get games without coming close to dominating at VFL level. Others do dominate at VFL level and don't get chances. Nice in theory but no way does that match reality.

I'd imagine if they've been recruited people would want to see them get a few games. They're obviously worth having a look at - "In Wells we Trust" remember. I'd have any young player on the list ahead of Dahlhaus and Higgins right now (and a few others but they'll do for starters).

His first run of games in 2018 he played as half forward. It's why at the end of the season, and then when he came back into the side in 2019, Knights was talking about the coaches seeing his future as an inside midfielder - because he hadn't played that role at senior level.[/URL]
It would be mightily odd that he hasn’t played in that role since if he has some latent talent good judges are missing.

Setting that aside, I’m not sure a positional change would help him. Unless you are an out and out superstar there’s just nowhere to hide in the modern game if you don’t chase. Arguably, it’s more important as a small forward than as a mid.

The culture of demanding young players “bash down the door” and demand selection with VFL performances is exactly what many of us are saying needs to soften.

And no, I’m not saying gift young players games without any basis.

I’m saying the marginal decisions need to go in favour of the young players.

I think it's worth giving Higgins another shot while we have some troops out. But Dahl instead of narkle is crazy. Has talent to burn get him some game time please.
But if the position is as a defensive forward. I hate to say it But... Dahl beats Narkle hands down in that capacity.
Dahl will tackle and hurt himself in the process, something i've never seen in Narkles game.
Narkle position is a mid, an inside one to boot. But hasn't shown enough on a consistent basis to be an automatic picked.
I see him (Narkle) like the rest of the comp saw him during the trade period when he could've been had quite easily. A pretty good VFL player.

The culture of demanding young players “bash down the door” and demand selection with VFL performances is exactly what many of us are saying needs to soften.

I'm sure I heard Hocking say when the choice comes down to 2 players, they will side with the youth. Now Dahl is in, and Evans is an emergency. I had high hopes. But scott is just too stubborn to ever change.

Where were you guys when this stuff was being posted a while ago? That is nothing new. In fact, surprised you have not been shot down by a few of the regulars

Some of us gave them until last season to do it their way.

But seeing that they signalled that this would be the year for renewal, I'd like to see some signs that it's happening.

I'm prepared to give them longer than one round, but it's not a great start.

This.

Perfectly said.

But if the position is as a defensive forward. I hate to say it But... Dahl beats Narkle hands down in that capacity.
Dahl will tackle and hurt himself in the process, something i've never seen in Narkles game.
Narkle position is a mid, an inside one to boot. But hasn't shown enough on a consistent basis to be an automatic picked.
I see him (Narkle) like the rest of the comp saw him during the trade period when he could've been had quite easily. A pretty good VFL player.
Yes, I with you on the prediction that Dahl will probably hurt himself in the process of tackling..

Re Narkle - unfortunately (due to many factors like covid) he isn't even a pretty good vfl player. How many vfl games has he even played? Probably not many more than his afl games. I like him and I think he's been dealt a cruel hand with the interruption to the lower levels and the lack of continuity. I mean he was dropped straight after two standout performances last year. After that, his heart didn't quite seem in it. I just hope he doesn't get selected as the medi-sub very often. He needs full games, as many of them, at whatever level.

Some of us gave them until last season to do it their way.

But seeing that they signalled that this would be the year for renewal, I'd like to see some signs that it's happening.

I'm prepared to give them longer than one round, but it's not a great start.

During preseason, there were numerous articles on how well the old farts were doing on the training track. This is always a worrying sign.

I'm sure I heard Hocking say when the choice comes down to 2 players, they will side with the youth. Now Dahl is in, and Evans is an emergency. I had high hopes. But scott is just too stubborn to ever change.

Scott will get shown the door soon enough.
I doubt it will be this year as we will still pinch enough wins to push for finals again but his time is almost up.
We could do no worse bringing in a fresh voice with different philosophies and ideas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 2 players in the team 23-27 is a worry; isn't that when players are expected to be reaching their peak?

Further, we're looking forward to Duncan and Menegola returning- some even want Rohan - but there's no guarantee their bodies will hold up; they certainly can't improve as players.

For all these and more reasons we need to see more fresh faces in the team and very soon.

We speculate about playing finals again but does anyone here seriously think a team including Kolo, Dal, Sav, Higgins and Atkins could win a final?

It would be mightily odd that he hasn’t played in that role since if he has some latent talent good judges are missing.

Setting that aside, I’m not sure a positional change would help him. Unless you are an out and out superstar there’s just nowhere to hide in the modern game if you don’t chase. Arguably, it’s more important as a small forward than as a mid.
I don't think our coaches see playing small forward as a matter of talent, though. The ones who have actual football talent get shoved up the ground as quickly as possibly - happened to Gryan and it looks like it's happening to Close. I also think Narkle's deficiencies in defensive work have to be at least in part down to his tank and playing at half forward should help that.

I think it's worth giving Higgins another shot while we have some troops out. But Dahl instead of narkle is crazy. Has talent to burn get him some game time please.

What is the point of playing a bloke who is not what he was a year ago and will retire in 6 months time?
We may win 2-3 extra games during the season by playing older players like this but we are just back to where we were 3-5 years ago . . . only making up the numbers without ever being a legitimate premiership threat (unless the season is shortened to 10 weeks long).

May as well go for broke and give the kids a good opportunity at it.
Players who star in the VFL but cannot get a game should be rewarded this year. Mistakes will happen as we will find out on Saturday but they have to play ahead of soon to be retirees.

I've decided to get the ferry up there and back. I have been wanting to do this for a while, and when I noticed the VLINE issue, I thought now is the time to give it a go. The ferry also has a bar on board, and you can get up and move around and appreciate the view. $33 return. Can't wait to see how it goes.

I've just checked out the ferry - why does it depart at 9am and get up there 4 hours before the game

Surely they could have one running a little later that would be more convenient

I'll reserve judgement on the team selection until we actually see them in a competitive game. But what has me scratching my head is Dahlhaus was omitted for finals last year. Not injured. So regardless of what you think of him, why shouldn't he have to win that spot back by actually showing something at VFL level?
He was very sore late last year, shoulder or ribs were most evident. I was surprised he finished one of those games since he seemed in so much discomfort. IMHO that is why he got omitted.

Without the game films the coaches have I can't tell what he is doing that gets him selected. He must be doing something the coaches want and value. The most disappointing thing I see when he plays is that he always seems to chasing but not catching. I don't know if he was caught out and trying to get back, or just hard at it but too slow. But his radius of impact is quite small. If you discount his experience, leadership, and game nous; I agree a younger, eager beaver would fill the role just as well.

It's pretty much just SDK for Henderson, and Stengle for Rohan, right? Both forced changes too - pretty weak. I still think we win tomorrow, but bringing in a young kid for an underperforming geriatric won't throw us out of kilter either, and I thought that's what Hocking was after. Dahlhaus and Higgins both went from being dropped in the finals to flying to the front of the queue, it makes me wonder what they did over pre-season to convince our fearless leaders that having been deemed not up to it at the pointy end last year, that they're going to be better this year despite being on their last legs.
Looks like we never learn. Older guys fit at the start of the season and unable to kick the ball for 40 metres at the end of it.

I've just checked out the ferry - why does it depart at 9am and get up there 4 hours before the game

Surely they could have one running a little later that would be more convenient
How popular is route? If there were more general popular demand you'd think an extra run on weekends would be a money maker. At least while the good weather lasts. How the shoreline look on that side of the bay? The Pacific NW where I mostly grew up have an extensive ferry system and many are for tourists, including international routes up to Canada. But we have lovely mountains and forests to view. :)

Yes, I with you on the prediction that Dahl will probably hurt himself in the process of tackling..

Re Narkle - unfortunately (due to many factors like covid) he isn't even a pretty good vfl player. How many vfl games has he even played? Probably not many more than his afl games. I like him and I think he's been dealt a cruel hand with the interruption to the lower levels and the lack of continuity. I mean he was dropped straight after two standout performances last year. After that, his heart didn't quite seem in it. I just hope he doesn't get selected as the medi-sub very often. He needs full games, as many of them, at whatever level.

Spot on re Narkle - he plays 2 great games in a row with 34 &25 disposals then gets dropped , plays average when he is sporadically selected after that.
At some stage I hope we give him a block of 4 or so games as a mid and see what he can deliver - he deserves that and surely we would want to see what he can do if we show some faith. After all he has shown he can find it which is a very good start :thumbsu:

How popular is route? If there were more general popular demand you'd think an extra run on weekends would be a money maker. At least while the good weather lasts. How the shoreline look on that side of the bay? The Pacific NW where I mostly grew up have an extensive ferry system and many are for tourists, including international routes up to Canada. But we have lovely mountains and forests to view. :)

I'm not sure how popular it is, but I think they have limited ferries which is the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back