Autopsy Rd 11 Blues defeat Lions by 38 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Check the ladder out.

Points for versus against reflects the effectiveness of our back vs fwd line and we know we struggle up fwd.

But this is a magnificent work in progress and our fwd line has looked so much better over the last few weeks.

Really looking fwd to Charlie coming back and seeing the development of Harry and SOS.

We have much to look forward to!

Well you will not like it if, as a result of too much unexpected success this year, we go backwards next year. Don't forget that a number of teams are either hit with many unexpected injuries(Freo, Suns, Colliwobbles, Tuggers) or unusual disqualifications ( Essendope).
I understand the aversion to my view, and it does threaten to kill the current joy, but I would be surprised if the List managers and Bolts want to finish 9th this season.

I hear you mate. I just want to finish where we merit. No more, no less.

If we're good enough to win games then we should win them. The guys deserve that reward for effort. If we're good enough to play finals then so be it.
But I don't want our team to be simply benefitting from a gentle draw and under-performing or crippled opponents, scrape into the finals and find we've been punching well above our weight.

We still need a better than average trade-draft season this year to back up last years, so it is tempting to hope that the wheels fall off in the back end of the season.
The thing is, from where we are now standing, most of the games remaining this season look winnable. We still have games against the Giants, the Orcs and the Swans, but the rest of our draw looks pretty appetizing: Saints (twice), Brissie again, Pies and * again. West Coasters and Dees will be a challenge. We don't play the Roos, Cats or Dogs again.

What can you do? Let our guys do their best and let the chips fall where they may.

I was more rapt when the umpire payed holding the ball against him when he threw his head back trying to get a free
It was a fairly obvious call as the tackle went nowhere near his neck/head. What I'm wondering is when Mark Robinson will right an article bemoaning Christensen's actions. Or does Christensen fall into the 'good bloke' category & is therefore above any such criticism.

It was a fairly obvious call as the tackle went nowhere near his neck/head. What I'm wondering is when Mark Robinson will right an article bemoaning Christensen's actions. Or does Christensen fall into the 'good bloke' category & is therefore above any such criticism.

Unless there's a Big Mac and a dart in it for him, Robbo won't do it.

I'm really getting sick of people wishing we were shitter so we can get better draft picks. Look how well that's worked for us over the last however-many years. How about we back our recruiters to pick a decent player at pick 10, rather than wishing we were crap enough for 1 or 2.
YES EXACTLY! YOU WIN EVERYTHING!

I'm really getting sick of people wishing we were shitter so we can get better draft picks. Look how well that's worked for us over the last however-many years. How about we back our recruiters to pick a decent player at pick 10, rather than wishing we were crap enough for 1 or 2.
Yep - couldn't agree more. Remember buying into the whole finish low as possible for better draft picks a decade ago (not that we really had that much say in the matter). These days I much prefer the team instil a win at all costs attitude, much better for player development!!!

*Menzel watch round 11*

T.Menzel:
0 disposals, 0 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals

Kerridge + GWS 4:
59 disposals, 23 marks, 6 tackles, 4 goals

Loved Kerridge when he was here. I was one who wanted Menzel and was happy enough with the trade to give Sammy more oppurtunity.

Menz did struggle with our training load but has been getting better on the track.

For those interested though Menz's SANFL stats so far are

R1 - 14 K, 4 HB, 2.1
R2 - 11 K, 5 HB, 1.1
R3 - 13K, 4 HB 1 Goal
R4 - Bye
R5 - Inj
R6 - Inj
R7 - 9K, 1 HB
R8 - Bye
R9 - 8K, 4 HB, 2 Goals
R10 - 9K, 4 HB, 3 Goals

Had an injury and now im hoping his form will start to build again. Needs to get more of it but I do see a big future for him.

Bingo.

Been saying this for a long time now as well.

Re-building means getting a winning culture back too, not wanting to stagnate indefinitely.

Well you will not like it if, as a result of too much unexpected success this year, we go backwards next year. Don't forget that a number of teams are either hit with many unexpected injuries(Freo, Suns, Colliwobbles, Tuggers) or unusual disqualifications ( Essendope).
Injuries sminjuries. Collingwood and the Tigers didn't really have this problem at the beginning of the year and were still crap. Essendon finished bottom four last year even with those 12 available, and were still crap as well.

A lot of people didn't expect us to win a single game, except maybe against Essendon. We've had injuries too.

What annoys me with posts like these is the assumption that we can't improve on what we have, and suddenly every team that's in our bracket or below us will magically improve. Why can't the opposite be true?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Kerridge when he was here. I was one who wanted Menzel and was happy enough with the trade to give Sammy more oppurtunity.

Menz did struggle with our training load but has been getting better on the track.

For those interested though Menz's SANFL stats so far are

R1 - 14 K, 4 HB, 2.1
R2 - 11 K, 5 HB, 1.1
R3 - 13K, 4 HB 1 Goal
R4 - Bye
R5 - Inj
R6 - Inj
R7 - 9K, 1 HB
R8 - Bye
R9 - 8K, 4 HB, 2 Goals
R10 - 9K, 4 HB, 3 Goals

Had an injury and now im hoping his form will start to build again. Needs to get more of it but I do see a big future for him.

Menzels biggest problem is himself. Has talent to burn but that will only get him so far, it's the hard work side of it that lets him down. It's a very good thing that he has to earn his stripes to get into your side rather than being a walk up start as he was in our side last season.

I think the Menzel trade will turn out to be a win-win for both clubs. Sure we seem to be doing the better out of it right now, but in a strong team with a good culture he could be a very good player (barring injury). Just the wrong type of player for Carlton from where we are coming from and with the re-build.

Thought it was Tuohy's best game for the year by a long long way. Could be his best game for 12 months without looking back over last year in any detail.

Kerridge was great, though his usage forward of centre is still very iffy. But, with Gibbs nullified and Murph out injured, it was great Kerridge was able to step up - he just kept running, presenting at contest after contest, in the end despite some iffy ball use his weight of numbers made him quite simply one of our best. If Sam could learn to not over-think situations when he has the ball heading towards the forwardline, and as such reduce the number of times he uses it poorly forward of centre, he would be a terrific player, because he can run all day, find it and is tough. His problem is when he has the ball forward of centre, he just has too many options to think of and his brain freezes. At training they should put him in these situations in match simulation time and time again until he gets better at it.

I think the Menzel trade will turn out to be a win-win for both clubs. Sure we seem to be doing the better out of it right now, but in a strong team with a good culture he could be a very good player (barring injury). Just the wrong type of player for Carlton from where we are coming from and with the re-build.

A lot of people will tell you he lacks the right mind set.
And he is injury prone.

And he is injury prone.
Yes- that's why I doubt he would have ever prospered at Carlton, at least in the short to medium term. Few doubt his natural ability, but being in a strong club offers his best chance of turning his mindset/attitude problems around.

And he is injury prone.

He always seems just a hairs breadth away from a major knee injury and perhaps has trained that way.

Always wondered if it wasn't more prudent for Carlton, and now Adelaide, to send him off to have his knee done properly and just write off 12 months. He's only young.

I don't want to be a killjoy but having watched the replay and today's Bulldogs West Coach match we are a long way off being an exciting skilled team. Time for some losses, albeit by small margins, so we can finish near the bottom of the ladder. We need to be there to preselect young talented players in the draft. I hope we don't target another trio or quartet of GWS players.
Is Josh Jenkins worth chasing?

This kind of thinking will see us continue to languish down the bottom of the ladder. Also, you picked a terrible game to judge us on, we were way off our best and still managed a comfortable win. That alone says plenty about where we're at.

AFLCA Votes:

Carlton v Brisbane Lions

10 Ed Curnow (Carl)
8 Tom Rockliff (BL)
5 Jacob Weitering (Carl)
4 Sam Kerridge (Carl)
2 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
1 Mitch Robinson (BL)

The 4 best CFC players got the votes.

EDIT: Don't think it will be the last time that aerobic beasts are in our best, either. Going to happen more often as the season goes on.

Great post :thumbsu:

It's like people have forgotten that we got Cripps after we finished 6th in 2013.

AFLCA Votes:

Carlton v Brisbane Lions

10 Ed Curnow (Carl)
8 Tom Rockliff (BL)
5 Jacob Weitering (Carl)
4 Sam Kerridge (Carl)
2 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
1 Mitch Robinson (BL)

The 4 best CFC players got the votes.

EDIT: Don't think it will be the last time that aerobic beasts are in our best, either. Going to happen more often as the season goes on.
Ed has got to be close to the most improved player in the comp by now mustn't he? That was an A Grade performance and he has been thereabouts all season. Remarkable rise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 11 Blues defeat Lions by 38 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back