Preview Rd 19 Cats V Dogs Sat Jul 20 2024 @ KP 730 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not going to change our ruck/midfield set up, because we are worried about Sam Darcy match up. The game will be won in the middle, not by defending high balls into dogs forward line.

SDK will stay where he is, if we need another tall defender then we have COS to play on Darcy.

I’d be surprised if they brought COS in. To me he seems another pre season away from having the body to compete with the senior key forwards. I think it’s more likely we play a team defence with our existing structure which is easier to achieve at KP than at other grounds.

Looking at the differences between the team who played the Dogs in Geelong last year compared to the team who played on Friday night:

In: Blicavs Cameron Clark Close Duncan J.Henry Humphries Mullin Rohan Tuohy
Out: Bews Clohesy Conway Knevitt Menegola Mullin O'Connor Parfitt Smith Stanley

Mullin isn’t in. Not sure who the replacement should be? Neale? Hawkins not play last year?

That last goal of the game to Stengle was all Gary Rohans superb play , one on one with De Goey , knocked the ball away , then beat another 2 Coll players simply with will and a turn of foot , then kicked it forward and Stengle did the rest

Rohan does things at full throttle so he obviously starts in this game against the W/Bulldogs , absolute madness to have him as the sub , hes just running into a nice/dangerous patch of form Rohan

If all players ara available from the Coll game then there is no changes this week

Injury report tomorrow will be intriguing. Bruhn was listed last week as 1-2, so could be considered if he progressed well during the last 7 days. Should have fitness given it was arm related.

Don't quote me on the stats but from memory Dangerfield loves to bullies these guys into submission.
Yeah if I had to guess outside of last years loss we probably won about 10 in a row vs Dogs

The rest of Ned's article is amusing in the vein of can't keep Geelong down (see link if interested).
My attention was focused on the following (quote) albeit that we already know Danger's value.

"Instead of becoming a more accurate kick, which at this point in his career is probably impossible, Dangerfield has leant on his speed even more and become a genuine 100m player. He doesn’t really try to hit targets anymore and instead gets metres, in keeping with Geelong’s ethos as a metreage team.

He is having the highest metres per disposal season of his career and is the fifth highest metres per disposal midfielder in the AFL. At 34, he’s having the fourth best metres gained season of his career, his best since 2019."

The more i think about it the more the forward line in the biggest headache right now(selection wise)

Surely we can't play OH as sub 3 games in a row or he will eventually struggle for match fitness.
Bringing him into the 22 sounds good but for balance we would have to either drop a forward to the sub or drop them completely to the VFL as i don't think going into games with 8 forwards is a good idea.

Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale Rohan/OH

Mannagh, OH/Rohan on the bench is 1 to many forwards

I would prefer to drop 1 to the sub/VFL and play and extra midfielder. **** knows who that is.
I really do not envy the MC.

The more i think about it the more the forward line in the biggest headache right now(selection wise)

Surely we can't play OH as sub 3 games in a row or he will eventually struggle for match fitness.
Bringing him into the 22 sounds good but for balance we would have to either drop a forward to the sub or drop them completely to the VFL as i don't think going into games with 8 forwards is a good idea.

Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale Rohan/OH

Mannagh, OH/Rohan on the bench is 1 to many forwards

I would prefer to drop 1 to the sub/VFL and play and extra midfielder. **** knows who that is.
I really do not envy the MC.

I like Clark but he's not a wing and he's playing wing.

Clark or Clohesy to sub. Because they're both good options.

So obviously get mixed up a bit as players get rotated but play OH on the wing a bit. Have him drift forward as our fleet of smaller HFF types like Mannagh, Miers, Close all push forward as the extra winger.

Suddenly we have the right numbers at the contest and Ollie Henry is either sagging off into space around the ground using superior marking ability and forward nous to mark outlet kicks and attack, or he's popping up forward with an outmatch being defended aerially by a winger.

You can adjust this during game depending on your opponents weaknesses, but the gist is Ollie is a huge threat when they don't see him coming and relatively easy to defend when we have targeted him directly, so put him in a position where he surprises them

I like Clark but he's not a wing and he's playing wing.

Clark or Clohesy to sub. Because they're both good options.

So obviously get mixed up a bit as players get rotated but play OH on the wing a bit. Have him drift forward as our fleet of smaller HFF types like Mannagh, Miers, Close all push forward as the extra winger.

Suddenly we have the right numbers at the contest and Ollie Henry is either sagging off into space around the ground using superior marking ability and forward nous to mark outlet kicks and attack, or he's popping up forward with an outmatch being defended aerially by a winger.

You can adjust this during game depending on your opponents weaknesses, but the gist is Ollie is a huge threat when they don't see him coming and relatively easy to defend when we have targeted him directly, so put him in a position where he surprises them
That is an option but i would like if Bruhn replaced Clark and we dropped a forward for someone who could play wing(OH isn't a wing and either is Rohan)

8 Forwards is to many just like all those years where we had 8 defenders (sometimes more) is to much
A forward can make a great sub if he isn't required to come on until at least halfway through the third otherwise a more versatile player would be better in case he is needed 5mins into the game.

The talk of OH to wing isn't bad. He's good overhead and can produce some slick inside 50 work too
My question for him on a wing is does he have the work ethic to play that role as it requires a lot more running to cover defence and offence. I suppose we won't know until we try it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is an option but i would like if Bruhn replaced Clark and we dropped a forward for someone who could play wing(OH isn't a wing and either is Rohan)

8 Forwards is to many just like all those years where we had 8 defenders (sometimes more) is to much
A forward can make a great sub if he isn't required to come on until at least halfway through the third otherwise a more versatile player would be better in case he is needed 5mins into the game.
I doubt Bruhn comes back this week. Might even see limited minutes on the vfl before we see him in the seniors

My question for him on a wing is does he have the work ethic to play that role as it requires a lot more running to cover defence and offence. I suppose we won't know until we try it.
His work rate when he came in as sub suggests he had fire in the belly for it. His genetics should mean he had a decent endurance base.

Stanley to come in as he is a good match up for the less physical English and allows SDK to return to his natural role down back to tend to the abundance of Bulldog tall timber.

Bont needs special attention. Blicavs seems the most likely matchup but MOC could even be brought in specifically for this task however that seems unlikely.

Win this one and we are a very good chance for a top 4 finish. 🤌

Stanley to come in as he is a good match up for the less physical English and allows SDK to return to his natural role down back to tend to the abundance of Bulldog tall timber.

Bont needs special attention. Blicavs seems the most likely matchup but MOC could even be brought in specifically for this task however that seems unlikely.

Win this one and we are very good chance for a top 4 finish. 🤌
Yeap I’d bring in MOC for Bont and have Blicavs dropping into that spare in defence, running off as needed.

The talk of OH to wing isn't bad. He's good overhead and can produce some slick inside 50 work too
Yeah nah... hasn't got a tank. Didn't work on his tank. No tank here!!
Very little defensive game that is a liability if he wants to play wing.
Ollie D is a prime example of working on and having a tank that pays dividends as winger high forward.
PASS for me.
Rather have Knevitt play on the wing.

OH isn't a winger. If we need another winger (and Clark isn't one either) then pick Knevitt. Fitting all those forwards in isn't a matter of moving one or more out of their preferred position. The correct answer is to drop the one who is surplus to requirements (either Rohan or OH, my preference is OH) and bring in guys who play the role they are best at. It might be that Neale doesn't get up this week in which case Rohan goes to FF and OH plays third tall.

OH isn't a winger. If we need another winger (and Clark isn't one either) then pick Knevitt. Fitting all those forwards in isn't a matter of moving one or more out of their preferred position. The correct answer is to drop the one who is surplus to requirements (either Rohan or OH, my preference is OH) and bring in guys who play the role they are best at. It might be that Neale doesn't get up this week in which case Rohan goes to FF and OH plays third tall.
Well I don't know where you play him then. If I see the ball dropped on his head in a one on one forward against a taller opponent one more time I'll throw up.

OH is very clearly a forward. Suggesting not playing him forward because the delivery has been poor is one bizarre take.
A 3rd tall is about it. Although not a very effective one at the moment.
As he's not a 1 or 2 and clearly not a med-small HF that can get up and down the wing or chase/harass/tackle/pressure within the forward arc.
He has to find his niché, where that is i cannot say atm.
I said it a year or so ago. He's a one trick pony that needs to add a few more tricks to his kit bag.
He is 22yo he has 4 years in the league 4 pre seasons done plus over 60 senior games 15 VFL games in.
Penny hasn't dropped. But i think scotty & Co have been onto him so I/we hope to expect improvement in other areas that contribute to the entire team/game plan.

That last goal of the game to Stengle was all Gary Rohans superb play , one on one with De Goey , knocked the ball away , then beat another 2 Coll players simply with will and a turn of foot , then kicked it forward and Stengle did the rest

Rohan does things at full throttle so he obviously starts in this game against the W/Bulldogs , absolute madness to have him as the sub , hes just running into a nice/dangerous patch of form Rohan

If all players ara available from the Coll game then there is no changes this week
They are definitely going to get O Henry into 22.

For team balance I don’t know whether that means a forward needs to be sub or out - but maybe they can move Miers to wing more often and have a sub come from other part of the ground (unless Neale doesn’t get up?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back