Preview Rd 19 Cats V Dogs Sat Jul 20 2024 @ KP 730 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had games against the Dogs in the past where we thought they would absolutely obliterate us in the midfield, but we ended up basically breaking even with them.

I remember the game mid last year where we were without Danger, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Holmes and Bowes and had Ceglar in the ruck instead of Stanley, and we were just shaded 44-42 in clearances.
If that was the last game of 23, Parfitt played a very good game as a clearance mid. Until q4, when we all got overrun

We've had games against the Dogs in the past where we thought they would absolutely obliterate us in the midfield, but we ended up basically breaking even with them.

I remember the game mid last year where we were without Danger, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Holmes and Bowes and had Ceglar in the ruck instead of Stanley, and we were just shaded 44-42 in clearances.

Use the Hawks home game as a template for this one - bring insane pressure between the arcs , create a spare behind the ball and ensure they have ugly inside 50 entries.
Last home game we were back to making GMHBA more like the fortress we know. ;)

This game is hard to predict. Geelong is in better form now but if the Dogs are switched on they could give Geelong a pasting. They have a superior ruckman and midfield rotation, and the forwards are good - Ugle-Hagen, Naughton, Weightman, West. However, the Dogs rarely play 2 good games in a row.
On paper they should beat us every time.

They even tried to make hard work of it end of last season against our hybrid AFL/VFL team before we ran out of legs.

And Fremantle has lost 2 games at Optus this year already - they were one of the 3 opponents that WCE have defeated & Sydney got the job done at Optus

I wouldn't be ruling us out just because it's their home ground

Similar situation with GWS when they play us at KP - while we have the overall win/loss over them at 9-6 & 1 draw, for matches at KP it's 4-4 and thinking they've won the last 4 on the trot

We know there's an element of advantage with a teams home ground, but need to take the right mindset into the match - and we need to remember that when they designed Optus Stadium, they did so to be more aligned with the size of the MCG. So the MCG is 160m x 141m, with Optus 165 x 130m - we've been playing the MCG pretty well this season, so no reason why out game style won't translate to the size of Optus
I think GWS have got the last four at KP which is probably why the next time we play them H&A it will be scheduled for KP again. Pisses me off as a Canberrra supporter as I have been robbed of the quick trip up the road to watch the Cats.

Once they sack Bevo they could be a generational team

I reckon Bevo is hamstrung by having dumb players somewhat. Now for the most part he was involved in their recruitment and development but their team is overrated because people look at the strengths of individual players and miss their weaknesses.

Eg Treloar is a an awful decision maker with ball in hand. Libba tries to win the ball from unlikely positions too often and leaves his opponent in dangerous positions. Their rebounding half backs are poor defensively and most of their forwards aren't good at creating space for teammates.

Our team is the complete opposite. Not so many clear strengths but most of our players are well rounded. It's why Scott can adjust styles to take away our opponent's strengths so well.

Once they sack Bevo they could be a generational team
No , totally disagree with that

I think they have been exactly like Port Adelaide the last 5-6 years simply not good enough , no where near good enough and no where near the level of Richmond when the Tigers won their 3 flags in 4 years

There has been alot of hype ( and i dont know why ) re both the Bulldogs and Port Ade , but some love to hype up teams and i dont know why , the last commentator to correctly hype up a team ( who were coming from a fair way back ) was the late Ken Judge after Geel demolished Pt Ade in an early season game in 2007 at Football Park , the headline of his article was " Vics Great White Hope " as in the previous half dozen flags had been won by interstate teams

Melb , its a pity Petracca is hurt and out for the year , if he was available (and yes the Dees like every team in the comp have been hot and cold ) then Melb in the finals at the MCG would be an infinitely harder proposition than either the Bulldogs or Port Adelaide

a fit Duncan continues to be among the first named. For good reason,we should accept it. No matter how many calls for resting Duncan are made here, they never do it-unless he's going off for fatherhood.
Screenshot 2024-07-17 205807.png

Hard to drop the bloke getting the ball more than all bar 1 cats player. I think the Duncan commentary this year has a bit of mountain and mole hill feel to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2050885

Hard to drop the bloke getting the ball more than all bar 1 cats player. I think the Duncan commentary this year has a bit of mountain and mole hill feel to it.
Agree. He's been mostly a really solid contributor and occasionally a very strong one this year. He also brings an experienced head, which I reckon is easily underrated.

View attachment 2050885

He looks poor if we are getting swarmed and giving few options (i.e reactive rather than proactive) but if we are in that state we aren't beating any decent side regardless.

Consistently in both our top 2 disposal and effective disposal winners, year in year out - even as father time creeps up on him.

I’d love to see Hardie and Jeka play a couple of games this year to get a look at what they can do at senior level. Neither had great games in the vfl last week though so not sure it’s the right game to bring them in.
I’m not convinced either will be able to make it at the level but they have been two of our best this season so it’d be good to know if they can make the step up.

I want Bews back in the team as well, we could use his dash and endeavour down back. Tuohy and Duncan have been better over the past month but they concern me. They’ve been stars no one is taking that away from them but I’m really concerned about them against better teams at the MCG.
Bews is one who could replace them down back and I’d look at Atkins and C Guthrie to play down back and get another mid in like Atkins or Parfitt.

View attachment 2050885

I think there's a lot of anchoring of opinions on bf and we're slow to change. If you expected Duncan to hit the wall coming into this year, then you'll see that rather than see that this is probably his best form since the '22 premiership

I’d love to see Hardie and Jeka play a couple of games this year to get a look at what they can do at senior level. Neither had great games in the vfl last week though so not sure it’s the right game to bring them in.
I’m not convinced either will be able to make it at the level but they have been two of our best this season so it’d be good to know if they can make the step up.

I want Bews back in the team as well, we could use his dash and endeavour down back. Tuohy and Duncan have been better over the past month but they concern me. They’ve been stars no one is taking that away from them but I’m really concerned about them against better teams at the MCG.
Bews is one who could replace them down back and I’d look at Atkins and C Guthrie to play down back and get another mid in like Atkins or Parfitt.
Hardie i would like to see get a go even if i think he won't make it
Jeka won't make it and shouldn't get a call up.. I would prefer to call up COS instead and he isn't ready yet either.

My question for him on a wing is does he have the work ethic to play that role as it requires a lot more running to cover defence and offence. I suppose we won't know until we try it.
on exposed work rate, I would say no. is that effort or tank that is missing. If either don't think it works. Compare how many options Dempsey creates by gut running to be an open easy target. 100% game time dynamo. Love him.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I’ve watch quite a few VFL games and Jeka always plays well with good skills and decision making.

I see him as a Lachie Henderson type player who may not be the best 1:1 player but potentially has a role to play.

I actually haven’t seen him get dominated in too many contests. COS will be a better a player in time but I think Jeka is a better player right now

I’ve watch quite a few VFL games and Jeka always plays well with good skills and decision making.

I see him as a Lachie Henderson type player who may not be the best 1:1 player but potentially has a role to play.

I actually haven’t seen him get dominated in too many contests. COS will be a better a player in time but I think Jeka is a better player right now
Theres only a handful of VFL forwards that are remotely AFL standard, and thats being generous considering currently 4 of the top 6 that lead the goalkicking got cut from AFL Lists for not being good enough, if you aren't absolutely dominating that level as a defender you are nowhere near ready for senior footy for mine.

Hardie i would like to see get a go even if i think he won't make it
Jeka won't make it and shouldn't get a call up.. I would prefer to call up COS instead and he isn't ready yet either.
Obviously COS should develop well in time but he’s a long way behind Jeka in the VFL. He’s pushed off the ball at every contest and struggles to read the play.
Jeka has been very good down back this season really controlling the defence, he’s also only 22 so for his deficiencies he’s got plenty of time to work on them. Based on evidence available at the moment Jeka should be picked ahead of COS on players that could have an impact this season.
And it’s hardly like Jeka is 30 plus

Sorry but there is no way Jeka gets an AFL game.

People say Bewsy can't get a call up.... Then Jeka is miles behind Bewsy. I knoe different positions but Jeka gets lazy about 7 times a game and turns or creates turnovers deep in D50 that often result in oppo scores.

Csnt have that and his laconic style gets him in trouble. AFL will expose that further.

If however he got rid of that I could see a better possiblity.

Go CAtters
Nothing to be sorry about. I understand Emerson is not an ideal choice and is not demanding selection. As I see it we are a key back short, especially against the dogs. I don't see COS as a key back yet and I would say, at least for now, Jeka is in front of him anyway. I see bringing him in as a better option than Rhys and playing SDK in defence. We'll see what the MC think tomorrow.

As far as Jeka goes I know he makes mistakes, as every player does, but I like his disposal skills and speed. He might be more focused at the top level. We thought he was worth putting on the list. I would give him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back