Preview Rd 19 Geel V Port Sat July 23 435pm (AEST) @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..

Danger game.

Nice to be seated on top . Good view.

No Menegola so thats one change. Parfitt should be back in so thats that.

PFD looked off - is there an issue?

Parfitt should be back in.

Port will come and want to knock us off. They are playing ok and the crowd if they get going will be a thing.

Need to stay ahead of the pack and keep the Top 2 dream alive so we can play Finals at the MCG i guess.

Will add more intro later.

GO Catters

I’d say one of the veterans will get a rest. Hawkins or Smith?
At least one, if not two. Hawkins makes sense - Shannon Neale would be a straight swap (and it avoids him having to travel literally the week after his partner has given birth). The other poster who suggested Stanley is also pretty on the money IMO - Lycett is out, so it's not like Finlayson and Dixon will have a field day.

Menegola will already miss, depending on how long Parfitt is in iso for, it could be a straight swap. Resting one of the mids for Cooper Stephens wouldn't hurt either - getting six games into the kid by year's end

The old wisdom used to be to not flirt with form; I think that's been displaced now with having fit and well-rested players.

Joel’s best game of the year last night - love playing him off the bench - I’d happily give him a rest

Parfit to come in you would think

I’d happily play Neale and go tall because if ceglar comes in in two weeks and plays awesome- we aren’t dropping Stanley on current form - so would be good to have a look at structure with an extra tall

Danger struggled in the swirly conditions- he is a sub par kick in the best conditions- data has been in for a long time IMO

Loved his game against melb as he should take his shots at goal but thought he brought others into it around the ground very well via handball

That would be my KPI for him as a coaching group

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Parfitt for Gola and after that it depends on who you want to rest.

I would suggest nor more than 2 rests to keep form and cohesion.

This is the week to rest Stanley if we want to as Port don't have any decent rucks atm.

Stanley is having a career best season but agree that we will want to have a look at Ceglar in case he is needed in September. Rhys had also had a couple of ankle niggles throughout the season and I’m not opposed to giving him a rest next week.

It was this ground a few(?) years back I remember Stanley playing a blinder for a half before breaking his foot, so IF he needs it a rest wouldn't be the worst thing considering we've got a backup and some breathing room on the ladder.

But that's probably just me being superstitious - need him fit for finals though, clearly the best year he's had.

I'd be actually avoiding the urge to 'manage' more than one player for this game. It actually shapes as the most difficult game we'll face until the finals.

If we can hold it together and get the four points, we'll have three home games and what might potentially be a 'dead rubber' on the road to give some boys a breather.

But if we drop this game by going in a bit light on our current 'best 22', we could be back in the ruck a little and needing wins in the games that follow.

So I'd be looking to go as minimal as possible on the change front, if possible.

Out: Mena (concussion protocols), Smith (managed - didn't quite look himself)
In: Parf, Stephens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Menegola (inj), Hawkins (rest), Bews (rest), Stanley (rest)
IN: Parfitt, Neale, Stephens, Ceglar
MEDISUB: O'Connor
I don't think we're going to signal to Port that we're taking this game easy, nor should we. It would give them extra ammunition. They won't be pushovers in Adelaide.

I'm guessing one player will be rested, two at the absolute outside, and probably not two of our key big men.

I'm guessing one player will be rested, two at the absolute outside, and probably not two of our key big men.

Bews was meant to get a rest this week, so he's still due for one. I can understand Hawkins taking a week off to spend time with our tiniest FS prospect. Stanley also needs a break, but I suppose it can wait until after the Adelaide trip, which means Neale will be stiff to miss.

Menegola will have to sit this one out due to the concussion protocols but I see the logic in looking to give a couple of players a rest week. Scotty even flagged a few who haven't been playing in the AFL team in his post-match presser last night that he thought would get a game before the start of the finals. The only player I'd rest is Selwood because he was a warrior against Carlton and another week to recover from that would do him good. Have him cherry ripe for the Bulldogs. After that, throw a blanket over them. But don't take this match too lightly, as Port might not be a pushover on their home ground. They have had some reasonable form recently. But if the Cats bring that pressure we've seen recently they should get the win.

Sometimes I think these threads are almost a parody of themselves, as people suggest resting as many players as possible, and giving barely any consideration to the possibility that this may result in losing the next match.

So here is my team for the game against Port Adelaide, making sure to rest as many players as possible:

B: OConnor De Koning Bews
HB: Stevens Kolo Willis
C: Simpson Stephens Holmes
HF: Evans SavRat Dahlhaus
F: Dempsey Neale Rohan
R: Tsapatolis Narkle Knevitt
I: Ceglar Miers ZGuthrie Parfitt
SUB: Close

IN: Stevens, Willis, Simpson, Stephens, Evans, Dahlhaus, Dempsey, Neale, SavRat, Tsapatolis, Knevitt, Narkle, Ceglar, Parfitt
OUT: Menegola (inj), Tuohy, Smith, Selwood, Stengle, Duncan, Hawkins, CGuthrie, Dangerfield, Henry, Blicavs, Atkins, Cameron, Stanley

Last edited:
Sometimes I think these threads are almost a parody of themselves, as people suggest resting as many players as possible, and giving barely any consideration to the possibility that this may result in losing the next match.

So here is my team for the game against Port Adelaide, making sure to rest as many players as possible:

F: Dempsey Neale Rohan

IN: Stevens, Willis, Simpson, Stephens, Evans, Dahlhaus, Dempsey, Neale, SavRat, Tsapatolis, Knevitt, Narkle, Ceglar
OUT: Menegola (inj), Tuohy, Smith, Selwood, Stengle, Duncan, Hawkins, CGuthrie, Dangerfield, Henry, Blicavs, Atkins, Cameron
Not including Williams over Chucky is an outrage. Why Rohan should be expected to play four weeks in a row (and front up for what will already be his sixth senior game this season) is seriously beyond me.

#youknowitmakessense

Not including Williams over Chucky is an outrage. Why Rohan should be expected to play four weeks in a row (and front up for what will already be his sixth senior game this season) is seriously beyond me.

#youknowitmakessense

I was starting to run out of players on the list, so unfortunately I couldn't give a rest to O'Connor, De Koning, Bews, Kolo, Miers, ZGuthrie and Close.

Edit: I found Zane Williams: Zane Williams profile
Thank you.

Revised team:

F: Dempsey Neale Williams

IN: Stevens, Willis, Simpson, Stephens, Evans, Dahlhaus, Dempsey, Neale, SavRat, Tsapatolis, Knevitt, Narkle, Ceglar, Parfitt, Williams
OUT: Menegola (inj), Tuohy, Smith, Selwood, Stengle, Duncan, Hawkins, CGuthrie, Dangerfield, Henry, Blicavs, Atkins, Cameron, Stanley, Rohan

Bews was meant to get a rest this week, so he's still due for one. I can understand Hawkins taking a week off to spend time with our tiniest FS prospect. Stanley also needs a break, but I suppose it can wait until after the Adelaide trip, which means Neale will be stiff to miss.
CS mentioned Sav in his presser, not Neale (or Ceglar iirc).

I wonder if our selections and rested players will depend on the result of today Demons v Port.
If Port wins, they will be absolutely desperate- if they lose, almost season over for finals.
If Demons win, more pressure on us - if they lose, we could take the advantage of being a game clear and appropriately managing some who need it.
Definitely a game that we could drop without being too perturbed after 8 in a row.
I've felt all season that Port will shape the 8 if not make it. They are good at home, very good.

Can Port choke it up this bad next week please?

GO Catters

I’m back...I did forget my password (guilty)

Geelong by 25

In: Parfitt, Ceglar, Neale, Stephens
Out: Menegola, Stanley, Hawkins, Smith

Medical sub: probably Narkle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back