Autopsy Rd 2 2018 Sydney vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me of the people who can read unprofessionalism into the players haircuts/facial hair/boots etc

Surely it calls into question Horse's ability to change the gameplan, adapt and general psychological flexibility? Having the same bloke in your ear for years on end cannot be good for the team and club as a whole - unless you are on a three peat. We need new ideas and new ways of playing to progress I would have thought. Who sits next to the coach during games is a more than legitimate question IMHO.

The most annoying part is that we know what will happen from here on out. Horse will back the same players who give us nothing (Rohan, McVeigh, Sinclair etc) and then when he does decide to swing the axe it will fall on the "last one in, first one out policy." And it will be lads like Florent and Fox and Hayward that will be the first ones out as soon as they have a quiet game, meanwhile all the others will continue to get away with having poor games as often as every second week.
Macca was one of our best against Port

Things that have changed:

We are no longer good on small grounds

We are no longer good in the wet (its not 2005 anymore). Our get to the ball first attitude doesn't work when its wet because its hard to get a clean disposal out and all you're doing is losing a player to the contest whilst the other team have all the outside pressure and run.

I'd REALLY love to see Horse take in a video player to a Monday presser and ask reporters for opinions on: "Why isn't that 'holding the ball'"? "Why isn't that a 50 meter penalty, when this one is"? etc

I don't care how much the fine is (pass around a collection plate at the next home game).
Will he also be taking in video of all the times we benefited from umpiring in round 1? Or is this only an issue if we lose

on Rohan... Every gun team has and can afford to have 1 or 2 impact players who only get so much of the ball. We've seen rohan turn a game on its head with 2 disposals countless times, his assets are way too valuable to piss off. We're a better and more dangerous team with him on the ground even if it means he turns it on 1 out of 5 games. As frustrating as he can be, he can also be the difference, it's worth the roll of the dice

Im more worried about our defensive capitulation... Port and west coast were able to score with such ease I couldn't believe I was watching our team. Goal after goal coming from snaps out of defensive 50 stoppages, absolutely bottling it when the ball hit the deck and when trying to manoeuvre around with the ball in hand. For the first time ever I actually felt 0 security everytime the ball entered our defensive 50

- KJ is just about done. Poor decision making.
- Port were far cleaner with the ball and forced fumbles by their pressure. They've recruited very well.
- Defence was terrible. That goal scored right in front when 3-4 players tried hand balling it to each other and the last handball from Melican resulted in the goal.
- The kicks directly to Port players didn't help.
- Another target required up forward.
- Sinclair travelling well but is not the number 1 ruck.

The reserves played a practice game against a weakened GWS at the weekend and won by 7 goals apparently. I cannot however find a single piece about the game from the Swans, why are we so poorly informed?

Grim, is it time to start a reserves thread and do you have any details on the practice match?

I'll be worried about our defence if it happens again vs GWS. That needs to be back to its #1 rating or we can kiss any hopes of playing well in finals good bye. But they'll find it next game.

KJ does look as though he is declining no doubt

I go back and forth with him. There are some weeks where he looks like he could still be a really effective high HF but then there are other weeks where he gets torched when throw in the middle. Keep him at HF and I believe he can be valuable. I'd really prefer him and Papley be kept forward as much as possible without throwing them in the middle every quarter.

He's also not helped by our incessant habit for bombing long to anyone and everyone if they're in the forward line. Jack has already had a handful of long bombs directed at him this year and there might not be a player who you'd rather stand under a high ball less than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fumbles, kicks to no one, handballs to no one just about sums this game up. I actually thought we were pretty decent in the first 2 quarters, pressure was there, had some nice passages of play, didn’t really impact the scoreboard but you generally thought we were in control.

Our ground level defence was absolutely abysmal, nearly every goal they scored in that first half came from the ball being on the ground and Port being harder and getting the numbers around it. Very disappointing for what is supposed to be an elite defence.

The less said about the second half the better. Absolute trash. You think a footy player can have the awareness to go “hold up, every time I kick this (into the corridor mind you) it’s coming straight back, perhaps I should take a split second to assess”. Nope, lack of composure is killing us. Until we can settle down, as soon as a team turns the ante up just a tad we will crumble.

I'll be worried about our defence if it happens again vs GWS. That needs to be back to its #1 rating or we can kiss any hopes of playing well in finals good bye. But they'll find it next game.

GWS could definitely make them look really bad. When they're feeling it they move the ball forward with ease.

I feel like Rampe's slow start is the main reason so far. He's been unusually quiet and sloppy so far. When he's playing well, he makes our whole defence function a hell of a lot better.

The reserves played a practice game against a weakened GWS at the weekend and won by 7 goals apparently. I cannot however find a single piece about the game from the Swans, why are we so poorly informed?

Grim, is it time to start a reserves thread and do you have any details on the practice match?
I didn’t go as the time and the venue were both unsuitable. Only other info available was from the Giants who said Hopper played and Griffen played 3/4 quarters.

GWS could definitely make them look really bad. When they're feeling it they move the ball forward with ease.

I feel like Rampe's slow start is the main reason so far. He's been unusually quiet and sloppy so far. When he's playing well, he makes our whole defence function a hell of a lot better.
Take away Rampe's towelling gown ;)

Ramps has been very poor thus far. He shouldn't be immune from the kind of shit that gets thrown Reidy or Deanos way but a few more weeks of this & I'll be expecting to see people start calling for him to get the Newman treatment...

GtG don't you know Rampes poor form is all Longmires fault :rolleyes:

surprised the bookies have us as pretty clear favourites against GWS next week. I wouldnt be shocked if they beat us like they did a couple of years ago at the SCG early in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 2 2018 Sydney vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back