Preview Rd 20 Geelong v North Sat July 27 2024 145 pm @ Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parfitt dominates in the VFL , but does nothing in the AFL….. boy we need the midfield to turn up this week…..
Happy with the Friday night Woods win… and just didn’t turn up against the dogs …… credit to the dogs first of all though…. They turned up and slapped us around in the slop!
Parfitt does not dominate in the VFL. Occasionally he plays a good game but normally is just ok. He also hurts the team with his indecision. He tries hard but has limited skills. We already have enough plodders in our AFL midfield rotation. We desperately need some serious midfielders. Dangerfield is a low possession player who should really be playing in a forward pocket or flank. Stewart is a good backman who is forced to play midfield due to the lack of quality there. Atkins is a hard at it player who can nullify an opposing midfielder but is otherwise very limited. Blicavs no longer influences games, has lost his power and speed. Cam Guthrie a non-event due to injury. Holmes is more suited to a wing. That leaves our GWS pickups, Bruhn and Bowes, who are currently B-graders at best. We need to find a few players.

Last edited:
Parfitt does not dominate in the VFL. Occasionally he plays a good game but normally is just ok. He also hurts the team with his indecision. He tries hard but has limited skills. We already have enough plodders in our AFL midfield rotation. We desperately need some serious midfielders. Dangerfield is a low possession player who should really be playing in a forward pocket or flank. Stewart is a good backman who is forced to play midfield due to the lack of quality there. Atkins is a hard at it player who can nullify an opposing midfielder but is otherwise very limited. Blicavs no longer influences games, has lost his power and speed. Cam Guthrie a non-event due to injury. Holmes is more suited to a wing. That leaves our GWS pickups, Bruhn and Bowes, who are currently B-graders at best. We need to find a few players.

Spot on here. I've noticed a lot of posters raving about Parfitt and in particular Stanley. They must be purely basing this on stats because neither have looked above VFL level from the games I've watched.

I would blame them for not getting front position and not bringing the ball to ground though.

You do have to move on though
Mentioned it in the previous autopsy thread, but warrants repeating here:

Hobart often has a considerable wind blowing to one end. When we are kicking into it, if we still have forwards playing from behind and running toward the goals asking the midfield for long kicks over the top I will kick my television and send the repair bill to the coaching team.

Even with the wind I'd prefer we practice providing proper options but I can understand the merit of occasionally playing from behind in that scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like seeing players get hurt, but man our game has changed.

GAS, Yeates, Dipper, Matthews, Brereton, Rhys Jones etc must shake their head nowadays.

Yes, I would say it has changed for the better. Give me the highly skilled athletes of today over the cowardice punching behind the play of yesteryear any day

Should we be concerned about this?

I'm still furious about it. You could so easily tell he wasn't right to go back on after the first injury.

I get that losing to North is humiliating, but so is being the Carlton Footy Club.

He (and his family and his management etc) have every right to be pissed at Carlton. Xerri did nothing wrong though - kinda feels similar to the one where Jack Silvagni copped a punctured lung from a fairly innocuous tap.

I would blame them for not getting front position and not bringing the ball to ground though.

You do have to move on though
This is where I would love to be a fly on the wall to see who got “blamed”. From fans perspective we get very frustrated at forwards being beaten playing behind but if the game plan is NOT to bomb long and get overlap then a forward getting over the back is exactly what is supposed to happen - then a long bomb and they are out of position….and we yell at TV.

But agree in any event they should be close enough to contest and bring to ground…

And yes by Tuesday they have all moved on to North.

Last time we played them in Hobart we got 7 goals from Jezza…happy to do the same again!

I swear Guthrie has been listed as 3 weeks for 2 months now
Actually it got to 1-3 weeks for a little while.

Real shame for Cam as it has crueled 2 seasons in a row and at the wrong time of his career.

If we believe that it is actually 3 weeks…a big IF…that is in Freo and I suspect the leave him out of that and he plays a half in VFL vs Blues at GMHBA.

We would then have St Kilda and WC left to play - do they really try and tune him up against those teams heading into finals? I am not sure that will give us a good read as to whether he has come back in a way to match it with the big boys in finals pressure? Maybe given his history they will back him - but it is almost 2 years by then since he really played meaningful footy…

He would have to replace by then a Bowes/Atkins and maybe even then play off half back if the Stewart experiment is permanent by then

I have sort of writing him off for the year TBH - sad

Actually it got to 1-3 weeks for a little while.

Real shame for Cam as it has crueled 2 seasons in a row and at the wrong time of his career.

If we believe that it is actually 3 weeks…a big IF…that is in Freo and I suspect the leave him out of that and he plays a half in VFL vs Blues at GMHBA.

We would then have St Kilda and WC left to play - do they really try and tune him up against those teams heading into finals? I am not sure that will give us a good read as to whether he has come back in a way to match it with the big boys in finals pressure? Maybe given his history they will back him - but it is almost 2 years by then since he really played meaningful footy…

He would have to replace by then a Bowes/Atkins and maybe even then play off half back if the Stewart experiment is permanent by then

I have sort of writing him off for the year TBH - sad
We have reached the point where it would be the next best thing to a miracle if Guth comes back this year and has real impact. The same sort of incredibly unlikely outcome as us making it to the big dance from here, really.

And, unsurprisingly enough, I think the two outcomes (were they to happen) would be quite demonstrably linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back