Preview Rd 20 Geelong v North Sat July 27 2024 145 pm @ Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruhn was comfortably the best player on ground in last week's VFL

No, he wasn't.

As for Parfitt playing last week, it was suggested by those in the know that Clohesy was in line to replace Atkins as the late change which would have left Parfitt as the carry-over not playing. It's when Neale was then also withdrawn that Parfitt edged out Ted for selection - and considering how Parfitt has played in the wet previously, can understand the thought process behind that call.

Hearsay and Parfitt has been ordinary at VFL level at best.

But in regards to Hardie, where does he fit in now that we've clearly changed our structure and our core midfield rotation?

All season through to the Carlton game & even half-time of the Essendon game, each match we were running half a dozen odd players through the midfield rotation & centre bounce attendances - excluding our ruck, we'd often have 6/7 players with double digit CBAs.

We made an obvious change during the Essendon, and from the time Stewart went into the guts against Essendon, that core midfield rotation is down to 3 with obvious support from one other - excluding SDK as ruck, now it's 4 players max with double digit CBAs.
Simply not true. We've played 4-6 players with +10 CBAs almost every game this year. There's been no "change of structure", if there are more centre bounces, more players have CBAs.

1721971045185.png

Based on his performances in the VFL, Hardie is best suited as an inside mid - who does he replace in that core rotation between Dangerfield, Stewart & this week Bruhn?

Holmes took Atkins CBAs last week, Bruhn coming in sends Max back to a HBF. We've played a 4th mid with 10-15 CBAs all year, last week it was Parfitt (he only had 7 but that was because we only had 21 centre bounces for the game) Hardie takes that role.

Prefacing this with the fact I've never seen Hardie play, so I don't have an opinion on him as a player. But I don't think we're that rigid with team selection that you can't move players around, we do it every week (as you've kind of outlined). So it would have been easy enough to include Hardie if they wanted. They played Parfitt and Clohesy last week, so there's no reason Hardie couldn't have played instead of one of them. And between rounds 9-15 he could have replaced any number of players (with some shuffling) considering how poorly our midfield were performing.

It's clear that they don't rate him, and they're probably right. But I think at a minimum he was deserving of a game during our 2 month run of losses to show whether or not his game translated to AFL level.

I'd think that Hardie's best chance for a debut was against Richmond pre-bye, as it's getting harder to see how he now pushes into the senior team, especially our current midfield rotation

Not sure that rigid is the right word when it comes to team selection, but can see a definite change in approach & structure since the Carlton game to Essendon game & then all subsequent matches, especially when it comes to the core midfield rotation - and that includes players who've regularly be in there throughout recent seasons, now rarely in attendance

Against Carlton, we clearly shared the CBAs around - Blicavs & Holmes leading the way for the midfield rotation, with both phased out over subsequent weeks

IMG_5608.jpeg

Against Essendon is when we start to see things change in terms of personnel in attendance

IMG_5609.jpeg

The Hawthorn clash is first really obvious change - Clark had 18 CBAs against Essendon before being omitted for this match. We know he was a late in for Knevitt & he took over the Knevitt role on the wing, with 4 of his 5 CBAs being in the 2nd half (including 3 in the last qtr), Mannagh's 3 were also all in the last quarter

The first signs of a clear plan that we were going with much more of a set plan for our addressing our issues at the contest

IMG_5610.jpeg

This continued into the Collingwood game - only 6 players used at CBAs during the first 3/4qtrs with Clark & Holmes not getting a run through there until the last

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

It's obvious we tried a similar approach last week, especially in the first half when it was Bowes & Parfitt taking Atkins spot. In the second half it was Holmes they tried in there hoping to find a spark

IMG_5615.jpeg

Earlier in the season when we were much more flexible & rotating more players through those roles, especially when Dangerfield was absent so we were trying to find the right combination, there may have been the opportunity to use Hardie as part of that rotation

But seeing a clear changed in our structure & approach to the midfield rotations over the past month, I don't see how a player who's yet to debut fits into that mix or who they'd replace in that rotation - Hardie's best chance for a debut now, may well be round 24 versus WCE if we have a few sore bodies that miss

No, he wasn't.

Hearsay and Parfitt has been ordinary at VFL level at best.

Simply not true. We've played 4-6 players with +10 CBAs almost every game this year. There's been no "change of structure", if there are more centre bounces, more players have CBAs.

View attachment 2059238

Holmes took Atkins CBAs last week, Bruhn coming in sends Max back to a HBF. We've played a 4th mid with 10-15 CBAs all year, last week it was Parfitt (he only had 7 but that was because we only had 21 centre bounces for the game) Hardie takes that role.

There's been a clear and obvious change to our midfield rotations over the past month - in terms of core personnel & approach

We've gone from running 6 - 8 players through CBAs, spreading the load amongst them, to running a core group of 3 with Bowes as the 4th rotating in

It's not until the last quarter of late the we've opened the rotations up to spread the load

With Atkins missing last week, Bowes, Parfitt or Clohesy were the most similar replacement options who've shown the defensive mindset at the contest - I understand why they went with Parfitt as he's shown good form in the wet, but wouldn't have been upset if it was Clohesy who got a better run at things

Parfitt & Bowes were rotated through the Atkins role in the first half, Holmes came into the mix in the 3rd when we tried to change things up and then in the last we ran a through youngsters through there - good experience going forward

Well that must be very uncomfortable I'd say, does Brad consent to this?
ouch GIF

That was the 2007 Qualifying Final. Geelong went on to win the match by a modest 106 points.
Well come on then , show us Cam Mooneys goal in the 2nd qtr of that final , one of the all time great Geelong finals goals

In fact i would rate it 2nd in the list of all time great Geel finals goals , the only one i would rate better than it was Billy Goggins drop kick on the run goal in the 1st qtr of the 1967 GF against Richmond , skillwise that is the best one ever .

You’re seeing more in Knevitt than me. Very limited player who won’t get another contract.

Lost a little bit of faith last week.

But like his marking as an option. Has good hands in close too.

I worry how little they use him, which doesn’t bode well for him.

They need to find another spot him.

Last week wasn't fair conditions to rate anyone on. He's a wingman that plays with width, the conditions didn't allow for that.

I think he doesn't fit in a team that already has Blicavs playing through the middle. But he'll be a useful type to keep on the list.

Last week wasn't fair conditions to rate anyone on. He's a wingman that plays with width, the conditions didn't allow for that.

I think he doesn't fit in a team that already has Blicavs playing through the middle. But he'll be a useful type to keep on the list.
I’m judging the body of work, not just one game. His illness came at a bad time but he needed to show more than he did last week. He was invisible. At some point a player in his position either steps up or they step back into obscurity. I’m confident he’s in the latter category sadly.

Well come on then , show us Cam Mooneys goal in the 2nd qtr of that final , one of the all time great Geelong finals goals

In fact i would rate it 2nd in the list of all time great Geel finals goals , the only one i would rate better than it was Billy Goggins drop kick on the run goal in the 1st qtr of the 1967 GF against Richmond , skillwise that is the best one ever .

Speaking of this (bugger it, I know it's not the thread but whatever), how often did that Cats team create some absolute champagne football in that finals series.
Few goals vs North, few in the GF too, absolute masterpieces of ball movement and precision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he wasn't.
I'm with you. Thought Hardie was just as good at Bruhn.
But the Hardie detractors on here showing who's not worth reading.

Writing off someone starring at reserves level before having had a chance at AFL level is asinine

Writing off someone starring at reserves level before having had a chance at AFL level is asinine
This literally happens every season, though. Player after player who is considered a gun at VFL level is passed over for the chance to even join an AFL list, let alone play an AFL game. So Hardie is hardly unique in this respect.

And the only 'Hardie detractors' (if such a category exists) that matter are on the M.C. at the club. All of our opinions on him here are less informed and less relevant than theirs.

I'm with you. Thought Hardie was just as good at Bruhn.
But the Hardie detractors on here showing who's not worth reading.

We have an ordinary midfield yet don’t attempt to see how Hardie performs on the big stage. Our conservative very selective approach was shown up by the failure to pick Mannagh weeks before we eventually did. He didn’t suddenly improve the week before he made the seniors. Yet Clark and Mullin get plenty of opportunities.

We have an ordinary midfield yet don’t attempt to see how Hardie performs on the big stage. Our conservative very selective approach was shown up by the failure to pick Mannagh weeks before we eventually did. He didn’t suddenly improve the week before he made the seniors. Yet Clark and Mullin get plenty of opportunities.
Define "suddenly". I think mannaghs seniors performances between round 2 and the last few weeks are vastly different

If it was farewell it would be in Geelong with his family and friends there, one of the more ridiculous things posted in here of late.

Its not really. This will be the last game he plays before hes gone at years end. You can bookmark it

This literally happens every season, though. Player after player who is considered a gun at VFL level is passed over for the chance to even join an AFL list, let alone play an AFL game. So Hardie is hardly unique in this respect.

And the only 'Hardie detractors' (if such a category exists) that matter are on the M.C. at the club. All of our opinions on him here are less informed and less relevant than theirs.
Precisely. Less informed and less relevant, yet the tone of some remarks on him as if it is gospel.
Mature age recruits are a little different, you are selecting them largely because they excel at the lower level, most get an opportunity to show what they can do.
Mannagh definitely should have played earlier, and Hardie should have been tested at the level. Both are MC failures for mine. MC has cost us games this year.

Precisely. Less informed and less relevant, yet the tone of some remarks on him as if it is gospel.
Mature age recruits are a little different, you are selecting them largely because they excel at the lower level, most get an opportunity to show what they can do.

Mannagh definitely should have played earlier, and Hardie should have been tested at the level. Both are MC failures for mine. MC has cost us games this year.

Don't know how, why, or if they're even right, but it seems the MC have had no need to assess him at AFL before putting a solid line through his name.

Seems odd, but he's done before he even started.

Having witnessed Billy Goggin as my favourite player before Turner then Ablett snr. I agree Billy's was a beauty.
BUT.
Goal 4 in this package is just freakish, ahead of its time, and huge degree of difficulty.
If it was any other player, you select any one of these goals, but this master made it look simple.

Don't know how, why, or if they're even right, but it seems the MC have had no need to assess him at AFL before putting a solid line through his name.

Seems odd, but he's done before he even started.
This is simply not the case. Even if he is done now, it is long after he started at the club. It seems that the Cats put him on the list, watched him closely at training and in games over a longish period, and formed the view he wasn't preferable to a bunch of other players on the list competing for a similar role in the senior side.

This is simply not the case. Even if he is done now, it is long after he started at the club. It seems that the Cats put him on the list, watched him closely at training and in games over a longish period, and formed the view he wasn't preferable to a bunch of other players on the list competing for a similar role in the senior side.

My point was that he wasn't given the benefit of a go at senior level..... he's been ruled out full stop.

We've seen players play better in the AFL than the VFL, but he's not getting the benefit of that possibility either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back