Autopsy Rd 21 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In the past I've been a critic of Bell due to his poor decision-making which has always ended up in tears.

Up to 3/4 time tonight (pretty quiet in the last), I reckon it was his best game overall for consistency, application, disposal and most importantly, he made all the right decisions when it mattered and it was always to the teams advantage as a consequence.

If he can keep playing with that mindset and approach, he could be anything.

Makes Robinson's place in the team look rather bleak as well.

Malthouse will be working on the mental side of the game, there is no question in my mind about that. If you recall we used to have the 'Premiership Quarter' where we ran over teams in the third and put the game out of reach. It was all mindset with a fair bit of bluff but it worked.

Wood has been terrific for us especially as we have been screaming out for a contest in the ruck. I reckon he will get a contract extension now, he deserves one way more than Warnock does presently.

I think the last time we played Geelong was more of a shocker so I'm now numb to these sorts of things.

Fortunately I am old enough to remember "show time " ..... I always expected to win back then

these days I just expect we will find a way to lose the close ones !!! And we do !!

Ps ; also liking Sheehan late in the year !!

In the past I've been a critic of Bell due to his poor decision-making which has always ended up in tears.

Up to 3/4 time tonight (pretty quiet in the last), I reckon it was his best game overall for consistency, application, disposal and most importantly, he made all the right decisions when it mattered and it was always to the teams advantage as a consequence.

If he can keep playing with that mindset and approach, he could be anything.

Makes Robinson's place in the team look rather bleak as well.

best game ive seen him play (i didnt see last weeks game). Thought he ran hard all day, looked quicker and as you said made the right decision every time. Disposal was very good as well. His slow motion replay of his goal on the run was funny though, very bad ball drop.

We just didn't have the forwards and out kicking inside 50 wasn't good enough to make up for a lack of potency. Already struggling for small quick forwards and three of those types got injured leaving only Waite as our only likely looking forward. We were lucky they missed a lot of kickable goals. We do that and we lose, they do that and they are still good enough to win.

Decision making under pressure and skill execution when not under pressure could be a little better but we're playing pretty good footy and a really good style of footy.

Umpiring was pathetic tonight, anything close to the head was paid high. They got a lot of soft ones, we missed out on getting the same soft ones.

That shocking call giving Christiensen a goal at the end summed it up. Docherty brushed his shoulder... the guy jumps up, misses the ball and DELIBERATELY lands with his feet side by side making sure that he falls flat on his face. All these diving pricks do it since Matthew Lloyd perfected "landing" like this. Wouldn't see this diving garbage if the ground was hard I bet. Really poor call, absolutely hate seeing umpires getting sucked into paying frees, particularly when they dive.

Carrazzo must be due to go over his contract, pulling out some good games, close to our best player tonight.

Judd is just moving so well, he's got a really good burst of speed at the moment and he's just using the ball beautifully.

Murphy is playing well but he must scrap that goal kicking routine. He's far too unreliable infront of goal. He needs to be better. Two close games we have lost by under a goal where he's missed set shots from right in front, just saying...

Yarran is great but his opponent was also very good.

Gibbs pretty good.

Curnow was pretty good.

Waite, pretty good again, spend far too much time going to ground tonight though.

Bell was pretty good, good reciever as he can bust tackles but his fiels kicking isn't good enough.

Docherty, playing well but his kicking needs polish, still too many out and out clangers.

Menzel looked great and then got injured which hurt us.

Rowe, did ok tonight, still does things that make you pull your hair out but that's becoming less.

Sheehan - really like the look of him. Skills look really clean, kicking and vision is good and he reads the play fairly well. looks good over head. Very happy with him, just fits in nicely.

Simpson, wasn't switched on tonight, bumping when he should have been tackling.

Casboult, he's been horrible for a month and even go as far to say he's been a bit of a liability. We kick it to him and the opposition get it. He gets outmarked too much, doesn't seem to realise that he's got to bring the ball to ground if he can't mark it. Absolutely must not get out marked. Was out run and purely thrashed by Taylor. Hasn't scored in a long time, if he had a good game tonight and against Freo then we win those games. Hands have gone to shit.

Wood plays his role, predictable to our playres, gets involved, doesn't defend well enough.

Graham, needs to show a bit more urgency and intensity.

Tuohy, ok game, nothing to get excited about.

Jamison, just did the bare minimum today as he has for a lot of the year, was solid.

Ellard and Thomas - couldn't afford to lose these two and Menzel, it left our forward line toothless.

Armfield - I think he's done, just hasn't got the skills. He's quick and has a bit of a go but that's not good enough, can't kick it to the opposition like that.

White - one of his worst games, couldn't take a mark and dropped a sitter at a crucial time. Gave away a really dumb free kick.

Disappointing result, these close ones always come down to the little things but they are great for making it really obvious at where we need to improve and who out there isn't quite up to it. No doubt things are on the improve at Carlton. Have some quite handy players out and injured during this game. It's still becoming quite obvious that we need to hit the trade table pretty hard if we want to play finals next year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had have put tonight's, on paper 22, up against a Geelong team even 10 weeks ago, we would have expected a 100 point loss.

Says something about the spirit of the group and we had 30% of our best team not included...............Perspective.

It's just some fine tuning and belief .... and our best 22 once in a while would be nice. Although, what is our best 22 because some of these fringe players have been doing a decent job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 21 Carlton v Geelong Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back