Preview Rd 22 Cats V Freo Sat Aug 10 2024 435pm @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we gave an extra year to Tuohy I'm OK with an extra year for Jed.

We will have a few retirements this year so i don't mind 1 more year for Bews

Hawkins, Stanley and Tuohy i think will 100% be gone
Bews is still only 30 and turns 31 in December
People acting like he’s 34

Bews is still only 30 and turns 31 in December
People acting like he’s 34
Nah people are acting like he's been left in the VFL for almost the entire year.

He's done a lot for the club and deserved an opportunity to prove himself before being delisted. But for mine he's not that close to our best 22.

His best attribute, lock down small defence, basically doesn't exist in the game anymore and his poor kicking, fumbles and lack of running power make him a poor transition defender. I'd have a fit O'Connor ahead of him comfortably.

And I don't think there's any point keeping a depth player on the list if they're 31 and their best footy is behind them. I'd give Rohan and Duncan an extra year ahead of Bews easily because at least there's a chance they contribute significantly to the best 22 next year.

Nah people are acting like he's been left in the VFL for almost the entire year.

He's done a lot for the club and deserved an opportunity to prove himself before being delisted. But for mine he's not that close to our best 22.

His best attribute, lock down small defence, basically doesn't exist in the game anymore and his poor kicking, fumbles and lack of running power make him a poor transition defender. I'd have a fit O'Connor ahead of him comfortably.

And I don't think there's any point keeping a depth player on the list if they're 31 and their best footy is behind them. I'd give Rohan and Duncan an extra year ahead of Bews easily because at least there's a chance they contribute significantly to the best 22 next year.
We’re playing 2E down back for his foot skills alongside Duncan
Next year 2E retires and Bews plays and defends
Humpfries uses his skills off the backline if Duncan chooses to hang them up also.
It’s not a bad result and a few BP have turned there career around at this age

Humpfries uses his skills off the backline if Duncan chooses to hang them up also.

We've already got O'Connor and Guthrie contracted as mature players down back not currently in the team.

Bews supposedly had his best preseason in years and has been injury free but still spent most of the year in the VFL. He's highly unlikely to get better next year.

We've got a very strong VFL team with young players who are hopefully ready to step up next year. We should see at least a few of Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy, Mullin, Conway, O'Sullivan, etc become best 22 next year and go well past Bews (and O'Connor).

Maybe I'm wrong and the club loves how he's played recently. But I'd be surprised. If I were a betting man and assuming we have no surprise injuries I'd expect him to be omitted this weekend and delisted at the end of the year.

Take Duncan and Tuohy out and our backline still looks very good imo

Zuthrie SDK Bews/Humphries
Stewart Kolo Henry

Interchange Bews/Humphries

And that is without considering Mullin and MOC as well as COS

We've already got O'Connor and Guthrie contracted as mature players down back not currently in the team.

Bews supposedly had his best preseason in years and has been injury free but still spent most of the year in the VFL. He's highly unlikely to get better next year.

We've got a very strong VFL team with young players who are hopefully ready to step up next year. We should see at least a few of Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy, Mullin, Conway, O'Sullivan, etc become best 22 next year and go well past Bews (and O'Connor).

Maybe I'm wrong and the club loves how he's played recently. But I'd be surprised. If I were a betting man and assuming we have no surprise injuries I'd expect him to be omitted this weekend and delisted at the end of the year.
Wasn't Bews injured for a lengthy period this year?

I do understand what your saying but we’ve hardly seen O’Connor play back for quite some time and I’m not even sure if we will ever see Guthrie come back.
2 years injured now.

Mullin is the only one I can see taking his place and that’s more so the Irish just improve overnight and become staples.

I’ve been an O’Connor fan over the years after he proved me wrong but I have zero idea what position they’re even trying to have him play these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley and tuohy one would assume.
I think Stanley gets another year who else is there

Touhy goes, hasn't got another year in him

Parfitt goes, players going past him like a beaten favorite

Duncan gets another year if he wants it

Rohan same as Duncan

Bews will look elsewhere for more game time

Hawkins we know about

Cam Guthrie although contracted for 2025 may consider his future if the body is failing him.

I think Stanley gets another year who else is there

Touhy goes, hasn't got another year in him

Parfitt goes, players going past him like a beaten favorite

Duncan gets another year if he wants it

Rohan same as Duncan

Bews will look elsewhere for more game time

Hawkins we know about

Cam Guthrie although contracted for 2025 may consider his future if the body is failing him.
Stanley is no chance playing on.
I’m pretty sure someone posted on here he pretty much was begged to play on this season

I’m pretty sure someone posted on here he pretty much was begged to play on this season
Stanley was asked by the club to play for another year. Was reluctant as in his mind he was done. Knee is very banged up and borderline should not be playing is what I've been told.

Strong suggestion is that he and Tuohy will retire together. Good mates.

Stanley was asked by the club to play for another year. Was reluctant as in his mind he was done. Knee is very banged up and borderline should not be playing is what I've been told.

Oh I wasn't aware of that and now with Conway flakey with injury and struggling to put a body of work together it's all falling back on Blitz and SDK not Ideal.

I don't like seeing players hurt but this could be good for us

Having just landed in Perth, this is the news that popped up on my feed

I do understand what your saying but we’ve hardly seen O’Connor play back for quite some time and I’m not even sure if we will ever see Guthrie come back.
2 years injured now.

Mullin is the only one I can see taking his place and that’s more so the Irish just improve overnight and become staples.

I’ve been an O’Connor fan over the years after he proved me wrong but I have zero idea what position they’re even trying to have him play these days

O’Connor could have had a very good career as a back flanker, but they persisted in this defensive mid role and it has diminished him as a player.

Now it seems he has some kind of degenerative injury that means he can’t play every week.

I am doubtful on his future.

Ironically Mullin looks more at home up the ground but they want to play him in defence.

Makes sense. Pretty sure Duncan will play on. He couldn’t have been clearer that he wants to go around another year and if they let 2E play this year then Duncan is in better shape imo they 2e was at end of season last year.

Duncan will have to accept that a high risk they move on from him during 25 season but I can see value in having him go on just in case he doesn’t drop off from 24

Interesting one for me is Rohan. I would have said 100% this would be his last year but with 3 likely retirements maybe he sticks around?

O’Connor could have had a very good career as a back flanker, but they persisted in this defensive mid role and it has diminished him as a player.

Now it seems he has some kind of degenerative injury that means he can’t play every week.

I am doubtful on his future.

Ironically Mullin looks more at home up the ground but they want to play him in defence.
First of heard of this, lucky we only gave him a contract extension this year

I'd say the club has given Jed a run and not MOC to see how they compare. Then a decision on one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back