Preview Rd 23 Geelong V St Kilda Say Aug 17 2024 730 pm @ Deadpool Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think I’ve been to the footy at marvel this year. They had promised some new restaurants and bars. Can anyone shed any light on these facilities?

Patrick "Almost-done-field" picked up 10 coaches votes on the weekend. Did you see that?
I was surprised by that. He certainly stepped up in the last quarter. It wasn't based on his overall game. He had 20 disposals at efficiency of 45% including 4 turnovers, and 3 tackles. However, 8 score involvements and 6 centre clearances would guarantee some votes.

Last edited:
I was surprised by that. It must have been based on him stepping up in the last quarter. It wasn't based on his overall game. He had 20 disposals at efficiency of 45% including 4 turnovers, and 3 tackles.
We all get things wrong from time to time, I'm not holding it against you.

Perhaps, unlike you, they noted Dangerfield's 11 clearances (next best was 7), 14 contested possessions (equal game high). 16 kicks (3rd highest) and 8 score involvements (equal game high) - plus the contested mark/goal that fire started his match winning final quarter.

Not bad for a cooked old sausage! As for your analysis - better luck next time.

Geelong on paper looks a rung or 2 below the big guns in the 8. Certainly below the Swans, GWS, Lions, PA, Bulldogs. We've only had the one win against the Lions, an early season win against the Dogs and then the recent shellacking by the Dogs. Our ruck/midfield looks outclassed against those 5 teams I mentioned. However, our finals experience should not be ignored. The other thing is the inconsistency of teams this year. GWS looks to have timed their run to perfection. Geelong is also playing better than it was. It's crazy Geelong still has a chance to finish top 2 given our midfield problems and lack of top end talent.

Last edited:
We all get things wrong from time to time, I'm not holding it against you.

Perhaps, unlike you, they noted Dangerfield's 11 clearances (next best was 7), 14 contested possessions (equal game high). 16 kicks (3rd highest) and 8 score involvements (equal game high) - plus the contested mark/goal that fire started his match winning final quarter.

Not bad for a cooked old sausage! As for your analysis - better luck next time.
I mentioned the score involvements and clearances as well which would have got him in the votes. So I agree with you there. Dustin Martin showed that number of disposals is not as important as disposals that influence the game.

Geelong on paper looks a rung or 2 below the big guns in the 8. Certainly below the Swans, GWS, Lions, PA, Bulldogs. We've only had the one win against the Lions. an early win against the Dogs and then the recent shellacking by the Dogs. Our ruck/midfield looks outclassed against those 5 teams I mentioned. However, our finals experience should not be ignored. The other thing is the inconsistency of teams this year. GWS looks to have timed their run to perfection. Geelong is also playing better than it was. It's crazy Geelong still has a chance to finish top 2 given our midfield problems and lack of top end talent.
Our record against the current top 8 is 5 wins, 4 losses - with 2 of those losses by 6 points or less during a poor run of form.

Extending it to the top 11 our record is 8 wins, 5 losses.

Fremantle's midfield is ranked ahead of some of the teams you mentioned and we won both clearances/contested possessions.

We know for certain that Bruhn is out, speculation will be that Mullin is omitted and I'd be happy to see them also play it safe with Henry & have him miss - we saw in a few games post bye that when he wasn't 100% that it impacted his ability to attack the game as we know he can

I'd happily give SDK another week rather than risk him at Marvel which is known to not be good for knees

IF Henry misses, there's the easy in of Rohan

I'd replace Bruhn with Knevitt - Tanner has been starting on the wing at times over the past couple of weeks & then part of the secondary CBA rotation. Bowes can pick up the additional CBAs that Tanner would have attended

We've also seen Mitch play some nice matches at Marvel - such as his effort against the Bulldogs last year

The bigger question for me is around Mullin & who takes his spot as sub, or does he keep that role for another week? If he's omitted, I could see a potential decision of Bews in and Tuohy to sub
Really like your changes, especially Rohan in for OHenry, Knevitt for Bruhn + either Bews or Tuohy as sub.

Another possible is Clark, I’m hesitant as the team is cohesive atm.

I mentioned the score involvements and clearances as well which would have got him in the votes. So I agree with you there. Dustin Martin showed that number of disposals is not as important as disposals that influence the game.
I only saw stats you were posting to diminish his game in the quote I posted.

I'd say most midfielders who dominate combined clearances, contested possessions and score involvements will have had a decisive impact on the game and do well for votes.

Dangerfield has picked up coaches votes 5 times and had multiple B.O.G performances from just 12 games this season. Impressive considering his median time on ground has been 73%. 6 inside 50s, 5 clearances, 6 score involvements and 10 contested possessions per game is still scarily good for a 34 year old burst player. If that's "almost done", I'd happily have about 10 "almost done"s in the team.

I'm thinking this time of year and Ladder position any ins will come from players with finals experience.
Depending on the outs.

SDK if fit
Rohan
Bews
Parfitt
All fit in seamlessly.
Think Parfitt has a hamstring ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised by that. He certainly stepped up in the last quarter. It wasn't based on his overall game. He had 20 disposals at efficiency of 45% including 4 turnovers, and 3 tackles. However, 8 score involvements and 6 centre clearances would guarantee some votes.
Geelong on paper looks a rung or 2 below the big guns in the 8. Certainly below the Swans, GWS, Lions, PA, Bulldogs. We've only had the one win against the Lions, an early season win against the Dogs and then the recent shellacking by the Dogs. Our ruck/midfield looks outclassed against those 5 teams I mentioned. However, our finals experience should not be ignored. The other thing is the inconsistency of teams this year. GWS looks to have timed their run to perfection. Geelong is also playing better than it was. It's crazy Geelong still has a chance to finish top 2 given our midfield problems and lack of top end talent.
Hard marker.

Don't know if it is imagination, but we seem to play larger grounds better that smaller ones these days. So playing at Marvel is a bit of a worry.
There was discussion regarding the team performing better on larger grounds + apparently players are training at Deakin (? I think) as it has similar proportions:

Deakin Oval - 157 metres × 130 metres
MCG -
160 metres x 141 metres (AFL)
174 metres x 149 metres (general)
172.9 metres x 147.8 metres (cricket)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back