Game Day Rd 6, 2014 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still staggers me that Merrett can again let the club down on the back of horrible form and is immediately rewarded with inclusion. There's a clear case of bias.
Yeah, bias towards players who have proven they can contribute over a long period of time.

Dylan you play favourites as much as anyone. The difference is that most people don't accuse the coach of being "biased" when their own favourites/whipping boys aren't selected/dropped.

Merrett was coming back from snapping his ankle and returned to a back line dealing with a new structure and gameplan and a ludicrous number of inside 50 being allowed in by teammates up the field. Give him a break regarding "form".

His suspension was terrible but he has paid the price.

Last edited:
Would have thought his 2 weeks was his punishment. Anyways an out of form Merrett >>>> In form Lisle.

Punishment would have been a few games in the reserves and send a message to all and sundry that no one can take their spot in the seniors for granted. Merrett surely does.

I don't rate Lisle that highly, but I thought he may have been swung forward to play second fiddle to West as opposed to bringing Merrett to play forward, if in fact that is what happens. Maguire could very easily have gone back, or forward, to cover for Lisle's move forward or omission.

But no, let's reward Merrett despite again letting the club down. Makes perfect sense.

Couldn't disagree any more considering a number of senior players have continually been selected despite well below average form e.g. Merrett, Patfull, Adcock and Leuenberger (before his injury).

It still staggers me that Merrett can again let the club down on the back of horrible form and is immediately rewarded with inclusion. There's a clear case of bias.
:rolleyes:
You're probably the last person on this board who will realize the irony of your post.

But no, let's reward Merrett despite again letting the club down. Makes perfect sense.

Merrett let the team down by making himself unavailable for selection for 2 weeks. Increasing that time of unavailability for the sake of "punishing" him further... Yeah, makes perfect sense.

I've never seen someone who takes poor performance by their own players as personally as you do Dylan, as though they do it to piss you off. Your disappointment with players often seems to come with a thirst for retribution or vengeance. It's really quite incredible.

Last edited:
We will be only the third ever club to play overseas in a proper match. There's something I guess...

In a way I can understand where Dylan12 is coming from. Only difference between me and him is I have blind faith that Joel will turn things around and I really don't want to stop believing that he's the best there was, is and ever will be, whereas Dylan seems to be a bit more pessimistic about the team in general.

*big hug for Dylan and hides from everyone else* :p

:rolleyes:
You're probably the last person on this board who will realize the irony of your post.
Couldn't disagree any more considering a number of senior players have continually been selected despite well below average form e.g. Merrett, Patfull, Adcock and Leuenberger (before his injury).

Where on earth does the vent on Adcock come from? The guy has given 100% and put his body on the line every game in a backline under siege.

We sometimes count touches as the test but there is so much more to it than that, we don't see the gps stats which show run stats as well as efforts etc etc. we also don't specifically see or know the exact role they were given and if it was carried out as required.
I must admit that some of this weeks changes surprised me a bit.
Balsy though!
Go lions!!!!!
Spot on Robbo.:thumbsu:.
This is exactly why team selection needs to be respected and considered further than "so & so had a shocker:mad:".
Same consideration goes for B&F voting.
Watching games and reading tid bits doesn't provide us with all the information.

By "let the club down" I can only assume you mean by getting suspended?
So you're angry that he was out of the team and angry that he is in again?
:thumbsu::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By "let the club down" I can only assume you mean by getting suspended?
So you're angry that he was out of the team and angry that he is in again?
:thumbsu::D

I guess it's the whole "oh you smoked a cigarette... I am going to sit and watch you smoke a whole carton now to teach you a lesson" approach. ;)

The difference being that Merrett isn't a 12 year old child, has already been punished, and we are in the business of winning football matches.

I guess it's the whole "oh you smoked a cigarette... I am going to sit and watch you smoke a whole carton now to teach you a lesson" approach. ;)

The difference being that Merrett isn't a 12 year old child, has already been punished, and we are in the business of winning football matches.

My Dad pulled that on me, although it wasn't a cigarette and it ended up being a great evening.

In all seriousness looks like if merret plays forward leppa is looking to the future in regards to our backline. Based on today's team future backline looks to be
FB: Adcock Gardiner Patfull
HB: Cutler Clarke Hanley

Reckon Patfull will eventually be replaced by Bourke who has been killin it in the ressies and looked solid in the pre season matches and adcock by young Dawson whom I rate very highly

Lol mate you either rate our depth way too much or you've too much time with James Hird.

Macguane has to have an impact this game, was clearly injured last week yet he played the full game. Expecting two goals from him or hopefully Paine comes back in if he performs v Sydney.

Surely Taylor will be our sub.

No chance Rockliff, and it wouldn't make sense for it to be Raines either. Cutler doesn't seem like the sub type (more of a class player than immediate run / impact) and he played well enough last week to play a full game again.

Saints by 10 points but would love to be wrong on this one.

Be nice to see all the boys go hard and do the diggers proud with a solid performance.

Watching that video on the Lions website with highlights from the when we beat the Saints last year gives me confidence we can win but then I realise only about half of our team from last year will be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back