Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This club excels at drafting and signing conditional footballers.

We get weeks like last week where everything looks nice and rosy and it's easy to be confident but by and large... back to conditional football again this week.

I don't have any confidence in our list management team at all. Wasted a lot of biscuits on Saad, who has always been and will always be a conditional footballer and Zac Williams who is injury-prone and is let down because he hasn't got the confidence in his body to do with it what he knows he needs to do.

Our three generational talents aside, I'm struggling to see the reason why we should be confident in this team.
Yep on the whole held together again by individual performances today Weitering and Betts way too many passengers .

I came here to give Williams a serve. You guys have done my job for me.
and what’s the deal with Saad playing 41% game time?
and Cripps just needed to be at the coalface. If he was unable to go there because of fitness of injury, sorry but he was a liability today. I love Cripps, just shouldn’t be out there if he can’t impact play. So utterly disappointing to completely shit the bed with a lead like that!

Oh well, good 2.5qtrs and then shit the bed. We don't play four qtrs so was expecting for it to fall down at some point, the longer we played well.

Same mentally weak side and some things don't change. The dumbness of Gibbons and SPS who go to a 20m short 50/50 contest when the game is in the balance is bewildering to say the least. The continual ineffectiveness of Cripps is now 18 months strong (Teague putting him in the bench for almost 10 mins says alot). Williams looks bereft of touch and confidence, needs to be dropped instantly.

Credit to Eddie for turning back the clock, amazing what happens when we move the ball quick and use it well going fwd.....the fwds job becomes a lot easier.weitering fantastic, H great in the 3rd (quiet the other 3)

Cuningham, while quiet overall, had some special touches and was really effective. I shake my head how he wasn't getting a game at the start of the year.

Like Carlton, I can't be bothered with the rest of the write up

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

We went from winning around the ground and beating them in contested ball pretty handily to contested ball being even in the final term; given we were about 20 in front, that's one hell of a gap they closed late. It's painful, but there are a few silver linings.

Had we won today, it would've disguised the fact that Cripps is simply not at AFL standard this year. Hugh Greenwood is a better player in this season than Cripps is. He is our stoppage winner and contested ball gun, and he's not doing either of those things. If he's injured, get him right and sort him out off-field, because playing him as is is hurting us.

Had we won today, it would've disguised the fact that Williams as a mid simply isn't working. He's not getting to good positions; he's fumbling the lose or contested ball; he's not hitting kicks or getting separation; his tackles are slipping. This is not the player we traded for, so the question becomes WTF is going on there? He's a better player than he's shown, but 7 possessions from a midfielder against a top 4 side is arguably what killed us.

I think we need to look at something a mite more radical around the ball. We need to change it up, have Walsh on the wing and play him as a winger instead of genuinely inside; Stocker and Ed as inside mids, with Martin and/or SPS on the periphery/second ring of a stoppage. Let's get a bit of mobility in there, and let's put some tackling and grunt around the stoppage, with the key being to reinsert Cripps only when he's 100%.

People belting Pittonett around today. It's not surprising, but I don't know why they're expecting Gawn levels of skill or Mumford levels of aggression from him. He's a hard working ruckman who plays a kick behind fairly well and is decent around the ground. He's also about one of the only players (including Stocker) who fired a shot in the final term. He's not the future (TDK is) so bitching about him when TDK's barely been back playing is a bit silly for mine.

The thing is, we are moving from being a team of almosts to a team that knows they can. Last year, we were 'almost' there, weekly; this season, to this point, we've still kind of been 'almost' there. Today, we could've but we didn't, and we know it. There's a bitterness to the taste of this; you could see it when Cripps kicked that goal. This was not a game that we made it look good or couldn't ever have won; this was a game that looked like they knew genuinely slipped through their fingers. There's solace in knowing that this one will burn a bit.

Would've been a good one to win going into next week and the rest of the season. Ah well.
Completely concur here, fully believe we will be the first team to beat Melbourne, then watch out....

Good teams adjust + no plan B to stop opposition momentum = Same ol’ story. Teague should be gone but won’t be. Not sure how many times you can let the same thing happen and not be held accountable.

Same applies to playing group leadership. Crippa nowhere to be seen when tide was turning.

You think Sweet dominated? Don't know what game you watched.

Bulldog mids overpowering ours and winning clearances doesn't mean Sweet dominated...the ball would drop to a neutral position and the Dogs mids kept winning it. It wasn't thanks to Sweet's tap work.
Pitto couldn't get his hand to the ball against a kid without a significant reputation, and it's not the first time. He did ok with the few handball opportunities he had but, we are going nowhere with Pitto as the tap ruckman. Midfield was dominated in all facets but, Pitto did nothing to help. Levi was better on ball. Made body contact and got hands to ball.

Watched the same capitulation as you. I think.

That last qtr was really poor, while exciting, will say it again, this gameplan isn't sustainable
Not winning clearances like that is not sustainable you got to have the ball to dictate ..our game plan revolve around cripps being dominant in the middle allowing us to spread .. the slingshot from half back all sides are doing - just better than us because our mids react slowly on turnover and we don't seem to slide our defense leaving huge overlaps ..

Where are the posters who hunt in packs, refuse to allow any criticism of the club and denigrate posters for daring to step out of line of the accepted groupthink of this board now? How can that result be spun?

Can people stop with this sort of thing?

Calling out positive posters. Calling out negative posters. Calling out those who thought Betts was done.

As they say, a week is a long time in football and many comments are genuinely felt at the time they are stated. The beauty is it can all change the following week.

Concentrate on your own opinions all. If you see something you disagree with, quote it and state your disagreement. Sweeping calling out of groups of posters is awful for discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught up with Lucky and his lovely wife Nella, they are my deli peeps, Lucky said, “we are a lazy football club”.
I agree, we just bloody stopped, we had them on the ******* ropes, LAZY
A mediocre football club from boardroom through the football department and on to players ....they think the bar is far lower than it is to become a winning club

Pittonet isn't close to an AFL standard Ruckman. Literally has 0 attributes that suggest otherwise and anyone who suggests he is even serviceable is clueless.

We got spanked in the clearences and it cost us the game. Enough said really.

Coaching and list management has serious questions to answer about our centre clearences and lack of Ruckman on the list.

Teague is the band leader
Are you going to start running out stats about how good we are with Barker as our stoppages coach. Teague doesn't set the structures... Barker does. Stanton is supposed to organise the outside running midfield players to transition from either a stoppage or defence into attack... and we keep breaking down on the transition.

Teague just tells them how we are supposed to play. The tempo... all the rest of it. And then, as I said, Barker and Stanton are supposed to make it happen.

Really upset so going to focus on positives.

Betts was fantastic today and really liked Owies contribution up forward.

Harry leading the Coleman with another bag. Star.

Cunners really impacts with his possessions and needs to be given more mid time. Damaging player.

Weiters epic down back.

Feel for JSOS, plays with so much heart and is out again after showing his importance to the team.

Agree with all these.

Love that we see cunners through the middle..we carve them up for 2 quarters then move back to plodders cripps and Ed in the middle.

Absolutely coached us out of it.

I'd add Doc was better today too.

Realistically Dow can't be any worse if played in the middle as much as cripps is.

How the mighty have fallen. There must be some real agro going on between him and the players or club. The LONG conversation they showed of him on the phone seems to speak volumes. Something is really broken.

The reality is we have lost to Collingwood, Port, Richmond, Port, Brisbane and the Dogs. With the exception of Collingwood who sit near the bottom all others are top 8 teams. If we are serious about improving and moving up the ladder we have to have an ability to defeat those teams. It would be fantastic to have some hope to go forward with but so far this year we have failed each and every big test.

What a joke for thinking I'm blaming either him or Williams. I'm blaming Barker for this insane starting centre bounce structure.

Walsh is not quick off the mark, he is not strong over the ball. He can motor along for a while, and he is strong for his size, but he is getting completely blown away at way too many centre bounces.

Williams also seems to have NFI there and gives himself no idea how to get clear to receive. This has been a project that's been going on for for too long, and we need to put them both on the edge of the square to play their natural games.

Why not say Barker is making it impossible? You said Walsh is making it impossible. You need to be more clear with your comments!

Cripps’ first half was good.

He’s either quite injured, given far too much input into the way he is played, or the coaching group still haven’t worked out he can’t play forward - at all.

I was injured in the 3rds comp Friday night got 6 touches at 15%disposal efficiency. Slight calf jiggle and small rotator cuff irritation. I’m a good player though, I do occasionally burst through a pack or two. Get around me. “Come on boys lift” (After being caught holding the ball five times)

Teague should have been given his choice of assistant coaches from the beginning , Barker , Amos have been there too long . Give Teague one year with his choice of assistants and if there is no improvement then bring in someone else that isn't going to be their friend .
I mean what is the go with Barker ? Does he have incriminating photos of Anthony Pratt or something ?

cripps forward last quarter , ball never goes there.

I think teague knows he's cooked / checked out /doesn't give a fk
I'm actually quite happy to see Teague bite the bullet and get him away from the ball. Sat him on the pine for ages and then fwd. He's doing absolutely nothing in the middle so time to try and dent his ego by not putting him there.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Back