Banter RDT CLXXXVII - Rinse and Repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it typical American swill like saving private ryan?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, this story has the veterans it's actually based on being interviewed before/after the episodes. I avoided it for years because of the same fear - that is was going to be another "'Murica, **** yeah" awards grab but it's anything but (though I assume it cleaned up in regards to awards). Honestly giving me chills thinking about it now and I blubbered like a baby at the end of it.

Edit: Didn't realise The Pacific was by the same creators, gonna watch both through. Can't wait!

Last edited:
No, this story has the veterans it's actually based on being interviewed before/after the episodes. I avoided it for years because of the same fear - that is was going to be another "'Murica, heck yeah" awards grab but it's anything but (though I assume it cleaned up in regards to awards). Honestly giving me chills thinking about it now and I blubbered like a baby at the end of it.

Edit: Didn't realise The Pacific was by the same creators, gonna watch both through. Can't wait!
Masters of the Air is also by the same creators and is similarly elite viewing

Is it typical American swill like saving private ryan?

I wouldn't say SPR is American swill because it's a pretty brutal depiction of the casualties of war. The Nazis aren't cartoon villains and the good guys are flawed.

Now things like American Sniper - people loved it but that is swill.

I wouldn't say SPR is American swill because it's a pretty brutal depiction of the casualties of war. The Nazis aren't cartoon villains and the good guys are flawed.

Now things like American Sniper - people loved it but that is swill.
Also hurt locker was complete garbage

The Manchester City machine just continues to roll on. Never seen a team come home with a wet sail quite like they do.

Arsenal fans now know what Liverpool has been putting up with these last few years.

They are relentless under Pep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masters of the Air is also by the same creators and is similarly elite viewing
Wasn’t a fan of this series myself. It was good but I cannot call it elite.

Absolutely not

My Dad hates that s**t with a passion but he actually OWNS a hard copy of BoB

It’s amazing and compelling viewing.

You're not wrong there. I watched 3 episodes last night. I was captivated by the first episode alone. The story picks up right at the events covered by a documentary I watched this week, which is a happy coincidence.

Band of Brothers has been a series that stood the test of time.
Prefer anything that doesn't depict nazi cliches.
Civil War is something else, chilling at times (best seen at cinema)
SPR had a liberal dose of reality, but there were some nazi cliches.

If you like U-boats and wolf packs vs. destroyers and convoys - 'Greyhound' is not bad, starts off slow and then it's on for young+old! Gritty, grey, icy, north atlantic action.
Tom Hanks as destroyer captain, on Apple tv I think...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back