Toast Reasons I have nominated Charlie Cameron as the best thing to happen to the crows last year include.

Remove this Banner Ad

For the nab, sure.
The Old Crows would pick him in the NAB, talk about how exciting he is, definitely a chance for Round 1... then we wouldn't see him once while we plod along with the usuals.

The Old Crows would pick him in the NAB, talk about how exciting he is, definitely a chance for Round 1... then we wouldn't see him once while we plod along with the usuals.

I undstand your point but he needs to show something. That interview showed him to e a shy kid, who knows how he will e on field, and oh, he's still a rookie.

I undstand your point but he needs to show something. That interview showed him to e a shy kid, who knows how he will e on field, and oh, he's still a rookie.
Yep, we've always waited until they've ticked all the boxes.

And even if they've ticked all the boxes, then there has to be a spot in the team open up.

And it has to be in their position.

And it can't be in a year where we are a chance to make finals, because "make the 8 and anything can happen"

You can always find a hundred reasons not to play a rookie.

Yep, we've always waited until they've ticked all the boxes.

And even if they've ticked all the boxes, then there has to be a spot in the team open up.

And it has to be in their position.

And it can't be in a year where we are a chance to make finals, because "make the 8 and anything can happen"

You can always find a hundred reasons not to play a rookie.

No there can be many, but this is an old argument that you or I won't change the outcome of, but I agree we are way too conservative.

No there can be many, but this is an old argument that you or I won't change the outcome of, but I agree we are way too conservative.
Why I'm going to be interested to see what happens with Cameron is because of CEY last season. I got the impression that Sando saw 'something' in CEY that he liked. That indefinable bit extra that some players have and others don't, no matter how hard they work.

I reckon his instincts would have been screw pecking order, pick him but if we preach process, performance, rewards for effort etc it is very hard to roll the dice on a rough cut diamond.

Has Shane Ellen done enough to demonstrate that he could play a role as a full forward at AFL level? No. Probably needs some more time training with the forwards during the week and a spell in the SANFL. See how he goes and then maybe we'll give him a shot.

CEY subsequently got lost in the SANFL mixer and did bugger all.

A small fear of mine is that now we've got a reserves team we'll be even more conservative at selection. Young players won't get shunted out to an SANFL league/reserves team anymore. They'll be under our umbrella and we can develop them at our own speed and make sure they are absolutely ready to go... which means when Reilly retires.

Why would we just pick him? He hasn't done anything, is he even training well?

He may not even tick all of those boxes, or many at all, and we're talking about his non-selection.

He could be anything, or he could be nothing. Either way I doubt he'll be running around in hoops this year through no fault of the selectors.

Why I'm going to be interested to see what happens with Cameron is because of CEY last season. I got the impression that Sando saw 'something' in CEY that he liked. That indefinable bit extra that some players have and others don't, no matter how hard they work.

I reckon his instincts would have been screw pecking order, pick him but if we preach process, performance, rewards for effort etc it is very hard to roll the dice on a rough cut diamond.

Has Shane Ellen done enough to demonstrate that he could play a role as a full forward at AFL level? No. Probably needs some more time training with the forwards during the week and a spell in the SANFL. See how he goes and then maybe we'll give him a shot.

A small fear of mine is that now we've got a reserves team we'll be even more conservative at selection. Young players won't get shunted out to an SANFL league/reserves team anymore. They'll be under our umbrella and we can develop them at our own speed and make sure they are absolutely ready to go... which means when Reilly retires.

Really good point. I also agree CEY should have been thrown in. Reserves performance and selection, plus e elopement will be intuiging to watch. They will all have to be leaders of sorts though which may be beneficial.

Why would we just pick him? He hasn't done anything, is he even training well?

He may not even tick all of those boxes, or many at all, and we're talking about his non-selection.

He could be anything, or he could be nothing. Either way I doubt he'll be running around in hoops this year through no fault of the selectors.
It's very early admittedly.

What we saw last year though is that we're slow and boring.

I can't remember our last punt on a player. A Jake Neade type selection.

Positive noises emanating out of training about this guy. Look forward to seeing him in action. Some question marks over his kicking, I understand?

I'm not going to waste my time now saying he should/shouldn't be in the side in round 1 because I have no idea, but VBs injury means that everyone is a chance... Just cannot wait for Feb 16.

Why rush into selecting someone preseason "form" for the early rounds.

VB will be out all season, we have some time to see all our Rookies before making a choice.

Having said that I was stoked we got Cameron and out of all our Rookies he is the one I like the most right now.

Liked the look of him in the videos but it's not really any indication. Hopefully they have Cameron in as many drills with Betts as possible. Couldn't think of a better player to learn how play as a small forward in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never seen him, I don't know anything about him, but I'm outraged at the club's poor philosophical decision in not playing him.

People are demanding his selection on the basis of a highlight package?
ST no-one demanded he be selected or elevated .......all i have said he is going to be (think that's future talk) a very good player & cult figure at the club.

To those who love to mis-quote me .....I haven't said 300 game player, haven't said a champion , but a very good player who is a real need in the way footy is played ATM

The last time we made left-field team selections were under Blight.

Before getting too excited about Cameron or others, let's see how the go in the pre-season/NAB & if they look promising, then give them a go .... otherwise (more likely), we have plenty of other young match-hardened guys ready to take over Vince & VB vacancies.

Surely having our own SANFL team will speed up the development of the likes of a CEY & mean there is no need to take a punt on him like we have with players in the past when played in a different role/dropped to reserves. I wouldn't call this conservative but better management of youngsters - the very reason why we argued for a reserves team.

I've never seen him, I don't know anything about him, but I'm outraged at the club's poor philosophical decision in not playing him.
The thing is, I don't think he can be picked at the AFC.

Regardless of his performances, his ability, the team's need for him or any other factors.

Whether he's good or average, there's just no way it can happen.

Surely having our own SANFL team will speed up the development of the likes of a CEY & mean there is no need to take a punt on him like we have with players in the past when played in a different role/dropped to reserves. I wouldn't call this conservative but better management of youngsters - the very reason why we argued for a reserves team.
I guess where I am coming from is that with the previous system there is a point where players reach an end to what the SANFL can teach them and it ceases to be of any value. Standard of footy part of it but also the role they are playing, different game plan, not getting to know team mates etc.

Now there will be no end point.

Jarrhan Jacky? turned out beautifully.
One example from six years ago, and a poor one.

He played three games. In three seasons. That's not taking a punt at all. In fact it's the absolute, diametric opposite of what I am saying.

Give him the absolute bare minimum of opportunities and only when injuries force their hand.

He played three games. In three seasons. That's not taking a punt at all. In fact it's the absolute, diametric opposite of what I am saying.

Give him the absolute bare minimum of opportunities and only when injuries force their hand.

You said you can't remember the last time we took a punt, I responded with the last time I can remember, which is saying something given it was 6 years ago. How was it not taking a punt playing Jarrhan Jacky? Neil decides that Collingwood are great at blooding young players and decides to take a punt on Jacky based of his training performances.

I don't really disagree with your assertion that we're boring and risk averse with our selection, I agree. I'm just saying for every Jake Neade there's a Jarrhan Jacky.

Actually I just remembered another. Dangerfield's first game. Neil had a boner for the lad and played him a bit early. He was woeful.

None of those prove that it can't be done, because for every failure there's a success story. All I'm suggesting is there needs to be balance in our selection philosophy.

Also, I have no idea why people are suggesting Cameron should get a crack when no one even knows if he can play.

This whole thread is ridiculous.

I think part of the excitement about Cameron is that from every report he sounds like the kind of player we have been screaming out for, that clubs at the pointy end of the table have been filling their front half with for years.

Sure, he might not touch the footy in the trial games in which case we won't see him. But if the positives we've been hearing continue, can the AFC bring themselves to allow him to jump the Wright, Petrenko, Porplyzia queue?

Not that I necessarily disagree with your overall point, but that's not what happened with Jacky at all. He got games early in his first year on the list when we were in the top 4 and had more or less a full list to pick from.

He just happened to be utterly awful at football.

ST no-one demanded he be selected or elevated .......all i have said he is going to be (think that's future talk) a very good player & cult figure at the club.

To those who love to mis-quote me .....I haven't said 300 game player, haven't said a champion , but a very good player who is a real need in the way footy is played ATM

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons I have nominated Charlie Cameron as the best thing to happen to the crows last year include.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back