Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Last edited:

I don't understand why TOny Abbott gets to have a representation at this committee? He is not an mp, he has no position or knowledge of relevance, you may as well have picked a random from bigfooty ffs

I don't understand why TOny Abbott gets to have a representation at this committee? He is not an mp, he has no position or knowledge of relevance, you may as well have picked a random from bigfooty ffs
Because shutting him out would have allowed him to continue to claim that the government is afraid of people like him being heard.

Allowing him to present his views in front of a televised hearing shows him and his supporters for the racist ignorant bigots they are.

One of his claims made today is that Indigenous culture like all cultures evolve, he indicates they should forget their past, their culture, and his example is Jacinta Price who has embraced her ‘new’ indigenous/Aus/Celtic culture.

FMD. They are saying the quiet stuff out loud now.

Because shutting him out would have allowed him to continue to claim that the government is afraid of people like him being heard.

Allowing him to present his views in front of a televised hearing shows him and his supporters for the racist ignorant bigots they are.

One of his claims made today is that Indigenous culture like all cultures evolve, he indicates they should forget their past, their culture, and his example is Jacinta Price who has embraced her ‘new’ indigenous/Aus/Celtic culture.

Tone is a half wit. Michaelia is a quarter wit.

why a British trade envoy thinks he has the right to be heard on this anyway
Well it was British trade that was the whole impetus of colonisation and subsequent indigenous decimation, so not totally unrelated.

They are just scared, scared that actually listening to the First Nations people of this Country, might actually make a difference.

as best i understand it, hes there because he carried on like a 5-year old denied chocolate at the supermarket checkout

he invoked the conservative 'go-to' and said he was being cancelled .... poor tones

Surely Cash didn't say that!!?? If so that is downright appalling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit manipulative from Albo and AFL making teams declare a position for the voice while recently being supported to the tune of $240m for Tasmania AFL development
Just common sense, there was no way clubs would get away with a no position stance with the indigenous round coming up. It won't have any influence anyway, people know that the clubs have to support it to avoid a media storm and people will make their own minds up.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are the Eagles the first AFL team to publicly support the Voice?

I don't have a problem with AFL teams taking a position on social issues relevant to its players and members, but I'd be concerned if anyone was basing their decision on their footy team's support.

I don't have a problem with AFL teams taking a position on social issues relevant to its players and members, but I'd be concerned if anyone was basing their decision on their footy team's support.

Considering that all AFL teams will eventually make a statement in support of Yes, and one of them will become Premiers, is that proof that “Going woke” doesn’t mean “going broke”? 😉

Good on them- showing leadership.

South Australia's sole elected state One Nation politician bragging on social media about how she used the SA Parliament to dismiss one group - Indigenous Australians - to make political mileage out of another - Veterans.

Disrespecting BOTH groups in the process.

Class act. We South Aussies must be coming a close second to QLD for recognising rising star RWNJs - Barnardi, Antic....

Tell me again why Indigenous Australians want a Voice to Parliament enshrined in our Constitution?

South Australia's sole elected state One Nation politician bragging on social media about how she used the SA Parliament to dismiss one group - Indigenous Australians - to make political mileage out of another - Veterans.

Disrespecting BOTH groups in the process.

Class act. We South Aussies must be coming a close second to QLD for recognising rising star RWNJs - Barnardi, Antic....

Tell me again why Indigenous Australians want a Voice to Parliament enshrined in our Constitution?

What tosh. Do we acknowledge the SAS war criminals too? Most military members aren’t in a dangerous job and are well compensated, they don’t really fight for our freedoms either.

Scummo tried to bring that “thank you for your service” rubbish into our culture, thank f**k Albo has dropped it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back