Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Last edited:

if you want to wait to "do it properly" it will take a s**t tonne longer time IMO
yeah that's a great attitude to have

works so well with government policies in general, but especially when dealing with any form of disadvantage

doesn't help that whatever half arsed pile of nothing you get now is then considered good enough forever as well

oh and on treaty the only reason it would take long is because they don't actually want to do it anyway, and if they do they want to do it in a way that makes it pretty meaningless, because why would the state actually admit fault and give people power?

but this idea of be happy with the table scraps we offer certainly does seem to be popular with every day Australian's which makes it easy for it to be the default position from governments on a range of issues

Lidia Thorpe is doing more for the "no" campaign than the "yes" campaign. People will vote no to spite her.

Hopefully she can keep her cake hole closed between now and referendum.
It's funny that you say that. Her uncle Robbie Thorpe is also against the Voice, and he joked about how he should go around telling people they better bloody vote yes, because Aussies will do the opposite of what you tell them to do.

Lidia Thorpe is doing more for the "no" campaign than the "yes" campaign. People will vote no to spite her.

Hopefully she can keep her cake hole closed between now and referendum.
Missing the irony in telling a black woman to shut up about an Indigenous Voice to Parliament?

yeah that's a great attitude to have

works so well with government policies in general, but especially when dealing with any form of disadvantage

doesn't help that whatever half arsed pile of nothing you get now is then considered good enough forever as well

oh and on treaty the only reason it would take long is because they don't actually want to do it anyway, and if they do they want to do it in a way that makes it pretty meaningless, because why would the state actually admit fault and give people power?
well, im not the one pushing for treaty. It's the progressive no side, I'm just raising the question which they haven't even considered (about the number of different groups involved)
if you increase complexity you increase the chance of **** all happening. Now maybe having **** all happen is the outcome they want so they can endlessly complain about how nothing is done. I don't know. Its not my fight.

but this idea of be happy with the table scraps we offer certainly does seem to be popular with every day Australian's which makes it easy for it to be the default position from governments on a range of issues
what esle are you going to do if not get table scraps? get nothing? because I don't htink you are ever getting what you want. Sorry not sorry.

well, im not the one pushing for treaty. It's the progressive no side, I'm just raising the question which they haven't even considered (about the number of different groups involved)
if you increase complexity you increase the chance of * all happening. Now maybe having * all happen is the outcome they want so they can endlessly complain about how nothing is done. I don't know. Its not my fight.
lol the other side

treaty was already happening everywhere bar WA prior to the feds announcing a voice

it does seem like your fight, you're just on the no treaty side

what esle are you going to do if not get table scraps? get nothing? because I don't htink you are ever getting what you want. Sorry not sorry.
see what I mean about it being popular so governments whip it out for everything

lol the other side

treaty was already happening everywhere bar WA prior to the feds announcing a voice

it does seem like your fight, you're just on the no treaty side

see what I mean about it being popular so governments whip it out for everything
When I say not my fight I’m not going to go out there and march either way. Relative to where you are of course I would appear to be no treaty

When I say not my fight I’m not going to go out there and march either way. Relative to where you are of course I would appear to be no treaty
yeah you'll just sit here and shit on the idea of it and then say you don't care

you call the people calling for treaty the other side

that does put you in opposition to it even if rather apathetically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah you'll just sit here and s**t on the idea of it and then say you don't care

you call the people calling for treaty the other side

that does put you in opposition to it even if rather apathetically
I also have stated what I’m willing to give up as cost of treaty (along the lines of flood levy tax) don’t think anyone else on either side of the treaty debate has don’t this

I also have stated what I’m willing to give up as cost of treaty (along the lines of flood levy tax) don’t think anyone else on either side of the treaty debate has don’t this
you call it a debate, lets just move on

avoid the discussion due to inability to engage with alternate perspectives. interesting.
No I mean you calling the treaty process a debate = I'm not interested, get your entertainment elsewhere

No I mean you calling the treaty process a debate = I'm not interested, get your entertainment elsewhere
because I don't agree with your opinion? the process is not a self evident truth much as you believe it to be. ANyway, I agree this is derailing from the main thread topic.

because I don't agree with your opinion? the process is not a self evident truth much as you believe it to be. ANyway, I agree this is derailing from the main thread topic.
No because I'm not interested in getting into a debate on the validity of wanting treaty.

I want a journalist to ask Dutton these questions on what he said?

claims the body would divide Australians by race - how, give an example
effect where all Australians are equal, but some Australians are more equal than others - Isn't this the case now?
“a symptom of the madness of identity politics"
Gee I wonder which party is into this?
not the colour of our skin - Why mention this? How is this relevant?

I am just disappointment he didn't manage to fit in woke, cancel culture, wayback machine, virtue signalling.

I want a journalist to ask Dutton these questions on what he said?

claims the body would divide Australians by race - how, give an example
effect where all Australians are equal, but some Australians are more equal than others - Isn't this the case now?
“a symptom of the madness of identity politics" Gee I wonder which party is into this?
not the colour of our skin - Why mention this? How is this relevant?

I am just disappointment he didn't manage to fit in woke, cancel culture, wayback machine, virtue signalling.
I'd rather they just keep bringing up his past racist actions and ask him why people should believe anything he says on the topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back