Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

Last edited:

Except of course that the voice has no power so that isn't a valid concern. The government of the day can literally shred any correspondence from the voice without even reading it and if they control both houses cut it to one person in a shed with an email address m

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No power? They have a direct line to the government. Voting power or not they can influence decisions

There are 11 indigenous members in parliament. I’d say your point is utter BS
While they all bring their own views to parliament, they are in the end beholden to the various party lines.

The voice could widen the input from all regions. Help people at least get their concerns in front of parliament. That's a good thing, isn't it?

The one where political power is handed to people based on nothing more than their skin colour.
It's all about equality of opportunity, my hypothetical path to becoming an MP would face far fewer obstacles than one of my Indigenous contemporaries, and we've had lots of bodies try to do something about that and they haven't much improved it. I'm hoping a constitutionally enshrined Voice to Parliament might succeed where they haven't been able to.

It's all about equality of opportunity, my hypothetical path to becoming an MP would face far fewer obstacles than one of my Indigenous contemporaries, and we've had lots of bodies try to do something about that and they haven't much improved it. I'm hoping a constitutionally enshrined Voice to Parliament might succeed where they haven't been able to.
How did you come to the conclusion?

Indigenous Australians have a higher representation in Parliament per capita already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous Australians have a higher representation in Parliament per capita already.
The average fifty year old black fella would have faced so many more barriers than I would have done had we chosen to go into politics.

They represent their party. Not particularly any indigenous groups.

Don't worry mate mediocre white men are still the most over represented demographic in parliament.

Oh, and by the way, the First Peoples' Assembly addressed Victorian Parliament in June last year, and didn't immediately try to execute all MLAs and re-conquer all of the land.

They are working towards and treaty and they haven't plummeted home ownership into chaos as a result.

I've been campaigning for this for quite a while so I will definitely vote yes.

I'm just wondering if voting yes will make me racist in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back