Reflections on Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I spent today in sunny Adelaide.

I was sledged by a woman with no teeth.

I discovered that everyone I met with a job barracks for the Crows.

The sign on the toilet door at the airport reads:

'Adelaide toilets are flushed using recycled water. Please do not drink.'

Oh - and the game, the stadium, and everything related to it, sucked.

How was everyone else's day?

Also, the amount of cigarettes smoked outside after a Port game compared to after Crows games is a LOL.

And I've never seen such a massive assortment of mid-80's Commodores
until today on Tapleys Hill Rd.

I was there. Brilliant sunshine, good chips (chicken salt is the key), in a group of supporters of both teams. Respect was there from Power fans. Thought Power was amazing, their speed killed, if goal kicking had been on target in 2nd quarter, I think it would have been much closer. They were not patronising to me and partner at end of match- nice people. Hope they flog Geelong.

I've lived in Adelaide for about 3 1/2 years.

Terrific place to live but most issues with the place have already been raised, but - what the heck, I'll put down my favourite hates.

1. No alternative to 5aa and the Adelaide Advertiser, Surely a state with more than a million people can have 2 sports radio shows and 2 newspapers.

2. AAMI Stadium is a very average stadium. Built nowhere, with no train travel to the ground, it takes the average supporter a good hour and a half to get hme.

3. You cannot drink beer in your seat at AAMI. I know drunken South Australians are a problem, they're bad enough sober - but surely interstate guests should be able to take a beer back to their seat.

4. Mark Bickley is everywhere, but nobody bags him like they do Eddie!

5. The ridiculous parochialism in this stae. Sh!t, if you buy interstate eggs, you're made to feel like a traitor! Unless you drive a Mitsubishi 380, drink Coopers and buy all your food from Foodland "the Mighty South Aussies" you are made to feel like an outcast!

6. KG and Cornsey - actually they are my real number 1!

7. Stobey poles? What the f#ck - they're POWER POLES or LIGHT POLES!

8. Vili's Pies adds - good on you Vili, you make pies - want a medal?

9. Mike Rann - and I vote Labor!

10. Victor Harbour - It's no Lorne, or Apollo Bay, or Port Fairy, or Sale, or Marlo, or Queenscliff etc etc etc.

There you go!

Bay 140?

Another thing I noticed....

The single worst ad I've EVER seen in my life, it came on at every break.

Something about a restaurant and everytime the meal came up, the voiceover goes "Spaghetti Napolatina (or whatever).....5 secs later.....$9.90 (takes him about 5 secs to say $9.90)

Repeat process another five times.

Jeeze it was horrible, the Roos supporters around me were bagging it out too.

Something about a restaurant and everytime the meal came up, the voiceover goes "Spaghetti Napolatina (or whatever).....5 secs later.....$9.90 (takes him about 5 secs to say $9.90)

LMAO we're sick of it as well. A juicy beef hamburger for $9.90

Tell me you made up the bit about the sign PLEASE. Do they have handbasins with taps in there as well or could you be confused into thinking it was an all purpose bowl (if you know what I mean) and hence the need for a sign?

Adelaide sounds fascinating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me you made up the bit about the sign PLEASE. Do they have handbasins with taps in there as well or could you be confused into thinking it was an all purpose bowl (if you know what I mean) and hence the need for a sign?

Adelaide sounds fascinating.

I didn't make up the bit about the sign.

BUT - having calmed down a bit, and read some of the other posts - I'd like to say that I might have been a bit cross last night, and I might have taken it out on Adelaide unfairly. We have toothless people in Melbourne too - in fact, yesterday was reminiscent of the good old days at Vic Park.

And the sign would be funny anywhere.

bagging the Cafe primo add?? can't believe you were concetrating on the voice over and not the number holding the pasta, she is a stunner. :D

I found it was a laugh that the national anthem had all the words on the scoreboard, cant power fans read.

Was sledged to death before and after the game as we walked from the start of the shed to the stadium.

Bus to glenelg was packed to the rafters so we had to get a cab.

Rated Glenelg but.

I went to Adelaide on a footy trip back in 2003.

Can someone tell me what a felafel is? There are shops everywhere selling the shit.

Shit Darwin must be less cultural than Adelaide - a felafel is made of chick peas coriendar fw other herbs crushed and made into little balls and then fried. Comes from the middle east/Israel and served with Bread like a kebab (and dont ask me to explain that one).

Shit Darwin must be less cultural than Adelaide - a felafel is made of chick peas coriendar fw other herbs crushed and made into little balls and then fried. Comes from the middle east/Israel and served with Bread like a kebab (and dont ask me to explain that one).

I was living in Melbourne at the time and have never heard of the things.

I know what a kebab is. I prefer shishkebabs though.

Terrific place to live but most issues with the place have already been raised, but - what the heck, I'll put down my favourite hates.

1. No alternative to 5aa and the Adelaide Advertiser, Surely a state with more than a million people can have 2 sports radio shows and 2 newspapers.

2. AAMI Stadium is a very average stadium. Built nowhere, with no train travel to the ground, it takes the average supporter a good hour and a half to get hme.

3. You cannot drink beer in your seat at AAMI. I know drunken South Australians are a problem, they're bad enough sober - but surely interstate guests should be able to take a beer back to their seat.

5. The ridiculous parochialism in this stae. Sh!t, if you buy interstate eggs, you're made to feel like a traitor! Unless you drive a Mitsubishi 380, drink Coopers and buy all your food from Foodland "the Mighty South Aussies" you are made to feel like an outcast!

10. Victor Harbour - It's no Lorne, or Apollo Bay, or Port Fairy, or Sale, or Marlo, or Queenscliff etc etc etc.

There you go!

Amazingly, i agree with almost everything you said.

There you go!

On reflection, i agree with everything you said.

I was living in Melbourne at the time and have never heard of the things.

I'll take a punt here and say that you weren't living anywhere near Sydney Road.

(P.S. Btw, Darwin, they actually sell felafel at Mindil Beach Market, too.)

I'll take a punt here and say that you weren't living anywhere near Sydney Road.

(P.S. Btw, Darwin, they actually sell felafel at Mindil Beach Market, too.)

Nah. Sunbury boy here.

Yeah probably. I just go for the lamb shanks. Very nice. When did you go to Mindil TOD?

Nah. Sunbury boy here.

Yeah probably. I just go for the lamb shanks. Very nice. When did you go to Mindil TOD?

About 5-6 years ago.

I thought Darwin was cool. Went up there for a look see one time on my way over to Nusa Tenggara for a few months. (It's only an hour's flight to Kupang in Timor !!). Stayed about a fortnight in Darwin all up and really enjoyed it. Has a nice, quirky, end-of-the-trail atmosphere. Hot as all buggery, but I went to some killer bacpacker do's when I was there. And the NT has a very relaxed attitude towards combustibles which was duly appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reflections on Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back