Reiwoldt v Mooney 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how Cats fans quote Franklin's "inconsistency" as the reason why he was rated behind Mooney in AA discussions this season. Consider the following:

Games of 3 goals or less: Mooney 16, Franklin 13
Games of 6 goals or more: Mooney 0, Franklin 4

Mooney also had the advantage of having a great midfield getting him the ball. Franklin had the services of a very good but not great midfield.

Evidence suggests than Franklin was not only more consistent than Mooney but also has a greater ability to put in a match-winning performance. The fact that Franklin missed out is nothing short of a disgrace.

The 3 best performed tall forwards were Brown, Pavlich and Franklin for mine.

Mooney had a great year, and I don't think his selection was a total shock, but if his spot went to Lucas or Riewoldt I wouldn't have been too surprised. Riewoldt also didn't kick enough goals for a key forward. Mooney in the side and Franklin not is just wrong, though.

I've actually posted my thoughts on the AA team on numerous threads before this one, and I don't feel like doing it again. As I said earlier, better luck next year. I know that it all cuts deeper than normal since Buddy's AA was just about all the success that you guys would be having for the year, but o freaking well. The decision has been made. Your point has been proven - get over it.

Now heres a present for all you Hawk fans.

155733289_44299089e6.jpg

I've actually posted my thoughts on the AA team on numerous threads before this one, and I don't feel like doing it again. As I said earlier, better luck next year. I know that it all cuts deeper than normal since Buddy's AA was just about all the success that you guys would be having for the year, but o freaking well. The decision has been made. Your point has been proven - get over it.

Now heres a present for all you Hawk fans.

155733289_44299089e6.jpg

Glad you know where to get them... you might need a couple of kilos on Friday.

How did you do that?

If I was as quick-witted as you and I was in form, I might have thought to myself "Sour grapes!" but you actually posted a picture of real life sour grapes, complete with a sign saying "Sour grapes"

Brilliant.

I'm in awe of you.

Roo is a very good player so is the other 1, but roo has had a bad year this year, and i think he is over rated.

FFS how simple can i put it. Mooney plays deep forward. Riewoldt and Franklin are usually half forward. SO IF you wanted Mooney out, stop being stupid and suggest Ebert as the person shafted out of an AA position.

Riewoldt and Franklin were competing with J Brown because they are all CHF, and theres no hope in hell that Roo and Buddy were better then Jon Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS how simple can i put it. Mooney plays deep forward. Riewoldt and Franklin are usually half forward. SO IF you wanted Mooney out, stop being stupid and suggest Ebert as the person shafted out of an AA position.

Riewoldt and Franklin were competing with J Brown because they are all CHF, and theres no hope in hell that Roo and Buddy were better then Jon Brown.

So then, do you watch much footy? :rolleyes:

Riewoldt plays CHF.
Pavlich plays FF and CHF, and occasionally wanders up the field, but usually he stays close to home
Brown plays FF and CHF, but stays close to home.
Mooney plays FF and CHF, but stays close to home, same as Brown.
Franklin plays FF and CHF and sometimes plays further up the ground than Riewoldt.

In any case, all these old terms for "positions" are no longer relevant.
But the fact is, Brown plays more or less the same role as Mooney, only better, so going by your own logic, Mooney should've made way.

But Mooney, Riewoldt and Franklin weren't competing with Brown. He was first picked.
They were competing each other for the position of third tall.

Riewoldt clearly should have made it ahead of Mooney. Sure Mooney kicked more goals but if thats what your going by then a stack of players should have made it ahead of Mooney. Riewoldt is a much more complete player and IMO he has proved it throughout the year.

Scarlett plays FB yet was selected in the pocket. Your point is redundant.

I love how Cats fans quote Franklin's "inconsistency" as the reason why he was rated behind Mooney in AA discussions this season. Consider the following:

Games of 3 goals or less: Mooney 16, Franklin 13
Games of 6 goals or more: Mooney 0, Franklin 4

Mooney also had the advantage of having a great midfield getting him the ball. Franklin had the services of a very good but not great midfield.

Evidence suggests than Franklin was not only more consistent than Mooney but also has a greater ability to put in a match-winning performance. The fact that Franklin missed out is nothing short of a disgrace.
here's another...

Games of 2 goals or more: Mooney 16, Franklin 15

the huge difference between them sure does make it look a disgrace. :p

So Mooney had the advantage of some great midfielders? Fair enough, but if taking that line of thought, then surely the disadvantage of some great forwards (at least one of them AA, and another a previous B&F), along with those great midfielders kicking many of the goals too, would have to be taken into account as well wouldn't it?

here's another...

Games of 2 goals or more: Mooney 16, Franklin 15

the huge difference between them sure does make it look a disgrace. :p

So Mooney had the advantage of some great midfielders? Fair enough, but if taking that line of thought, then surely the disadvantage of some great forwards (at least one of them AA, and another a previous B&F), along with those great midfielders kicking many of the goals too, would have to be taken into account as well wouldn't it?

All you have proved is that the lower you set the benchmark the better Mooney looks. :D

Franklin was better than Mooney this season and only a Cats fan (or a drunk and senile AA selector) would say otherwise.

All you have proved is that the lower you set the benchmark the better Mooney looks. :D

Franklin was better than Mooney this season and only a Cats fan (or a drunk and senile AA selector) would say otherwise.

Both are worthy of a spot, I'll agree Franklin probably should have got the nod though.

Hawthorn can't win the big games without him firing, which underlines how important and valuable a player he is.

Riewolt, Franklin and Lucas ALL had better seasons than Mooney.

But Mooney is the only one who plays for Geelong, i think this years all Australian team is classic example of how juvenile the selectors were this year by getting carried away with Geelong success.

The All Australian side is not about being in a successful side, it is purely based on individual efforts.

Mooney kicked more goals
Mooney had more goal assists
Mooney had more marks inside 50
And he gets his possessions much closer to goal instead of leading up the ground.

I think his 2007 was better than Reiwoldt's.

Got to agree, Mooney in 07 was better. Who would I want i my team? Reiwolt any day of the week.

I thought Mooney was better than Franklin this year. And I am neither drunk or senile. Super consistent, unselfish, had pretty much no down games, tough as always. Franklins best is a better, but still inconsistent.

It doesn't matter what we think. Mooney's name is in the team, so good luck to him.

At the end of their respective careers I would think Riewoldt would be regarded as a better player than Mooney. But this particular year? Not according to the AA selectors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reiwoldt v Mooney 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back