Remembering the Greats. A walk down memory lane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 28, 2005
Here and there
AFL Club
Geelong
Was just having a bit of a think to myself and was just remembering some of the great clubmen we have had. Not necessarily your superstars but your good honest players who have great service to the club while they were here.

First one that came to mind was Mick Schulz. Good honest defender had a great 89 Grand Final. Always gave his all and was well liked by all fans i would have thought. Went on to coach Grovedale in the local Geelong league therefore continuing to be a true Geelong person.

There are many others like Mick Schulz who largely go unnoticed but did contribute greatly to this club.

Who's your Mick Schulz.

Note - Please no Justin Murphy/Brett Spinks etc pisstakes.

"The Rat" Andrew Bews was one of my all time favs.

I was only a kid, but i'll always remember the goal he kicked at KP in 1985? dodging around 5 Dogs, dropping the ball, regaining and then snapping a goal over his shoulder as one of the great Cat goals of all time.
Never shirked an issue and always busted his balls for the blue and white.

"The Rat" Andrew Bews was one of my all time favs.

Was only a kid, but the goal he kicked at KP in 1985? dodging around 5 Dogs, dropping the ball, regaining and then snapping a goal over his shoulder was one of the great Cat goals of all time.
Never shirked an issue and always busted his balls for the blue and white.

Yeah, was a shame he missed the '92 GF through injury and then got shipped off to Brisbane. Good to see he very much still into the Cats though.

Mine would have to be Brenton Sanderson, fairly recent player, had been at two clubs before Geelong and really made it his home when he got here. Had a coaching job at Port but ditched it to come back to Geelong. Onya Sando. :thumbsu:

"Oysters" Kilpatrick ;)

Hard, Tough, Honest Footy!

Also Tim Darcy
Tried hard all the time and gave it his all

Oh and I almost forgot Jason Snell
That horrible injury brought his career to an abrupt conclusion :(

Steve Hocking.

Got the job done. No frills, no fuss. Rarely beaten. :thumbsu:

Also led the charge to get Lethal after he whacked Brunsy. Class.

Steve Hocking.

Always thought Bewsy did that, given he was right in the thick of things when the camera pans back to the centre and was tough as nails.
Surprised when i later found out it was Stevie H!

Kenny from Camperdown was another beauty. Consistent as.

I know this is just for the greats, but to counterbalance i really hated Tristan Lynch. Just had a neck you would have loved to give a karate chop to. :thumbsu:

Steve Hocking.

And he was only 20 when he stood up for a team mate against a super star of the competition.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...es-lethal-wince/2008/04/16/1208025287874.html

Matthews' opponent on the day, a then 20-year-old Steven Hocking, was the first to arrive. His retaliation was swift and decisive: he broke Matthews' nose.
"Then I lost consciousness because my nose got smashed across my face and I was out of the game, too," Matthews said.

Yeah, was a shame he missed the '92 GF through injury and then got shipped off to Brisbane. Good to see he very much still into the Cats though.

Mine would have to be Brenton Sanderson, fairly recent player, had been at two clubs before Geelong and really made it his home when he got here. Had a coaching job at Port but ditched it to come back to Geelong. Onya Sando. :thumbsu:

l'm with ya there with sando he was a really good player no fills really and done hes job week in week out good work sando

l'm with ya there with sando he was a really good player no fills really and done hes job week in week out good work sando

Sando has all the elements of being a brilliant coach one day: hard as nails, highly respected, workmanlike defenders with good communication skills are all the go in the coaching game. He's a walk up start for the next coaching job (assuming he's happy to go to Richmond).

Sando has all the elements of being a brilliant coach one day: hard as nails, highly respected, workmanlike defenders with good communication skills are all the go in the coaching game. He's a walk up start for the next coaching job (assuming he's happy to go to Richmond).

you who you take out of sando and hinkley? that would be a hard choice l hope sando hangs around a little longer he's been great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the next coach of Geelong once we've won 3 in a row and Mark Thompson decides enoughs enough :)

Brad Scholl for me.

Absolute gem of a footballer. Tough as nails, and was the only one to show a pair at one stage.

Cannot help but mention big Darren "Der" Flanigan. Was a very under rated ruckman but shouldered a bit of a load as Damien Bourke was always injured. Has a great 89 Granny. IIRC he also represented Victoria. Just went about his business but did it well.

Peter Riccardi for me.

Just a great classy player who was a shining light for us in those dim years gone by.
Silky smooth skills and always very reliable.

and he had a pretty sick mullet back in the day.

David "The Butterfly" Mensch.

I loved this bloke. Wasnt superstar but had a crack and played some great games at times. Ruck, half forward too.

Grant Tanner

Tough bloke with a bit of madness about him. I remember him going into the North Melb huddle when the great man kicked his 100th at Princes Park - I just happened to look after up I threw up on the wing when I went out onto the ground.

David "The Butterfly" Mensch.

I loved this bloke. Wasnt superstar but had a crack and played some great games at times. Ruck, half forward too.

Grant Tanner

Tough bloke with a bit of madness about him. I remember him going into the North Melb huddle when the great man kicked his 100th at Princes Park - I just happened to look after up I threw up on the wing when I went out onto the ground.

Why did you throw up on the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remembering the Greats. A walk down memory lane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back