News Return of the King

Remove this Banner Ad

Up against the likes of McQualter and Skipworth he has to be certainty to get the gig

There was mixed reports yesterday

One reporter said that McQualter & King were the frontrunners over the other two

A second reporter said Skipworth was now the favourite for the gig, ahead of King & McQualter

These were both posted within 10 minutes or so of each other

stevo obviously highly rated among the coaching circle but dont know about that WC job at the minute. is going to be a ton of work maybe without much reward.
I disagree - I think it's one of the best jobs to get in footy atm.

The team has been crap for years, but the facilities are great, there's only one rival to compete for the go-home factor players, and there's now a half-decent base of younger players. Whoever comes in will be afforded some patience.

The team has been crap for years, but the facilities are great, there's only one rival to compete for the go-home factor players, and there's now a half-decent base of younger players. Whoever comes in will be afforded some patience.
With respect that's debatable - their fan base is entitled and impatient after the last few years of mediocrity.
They can be savage and Simpson had won them a Flag !
The WA media is Eagles centric and the local rag can be like a viper - they openly ran a vendetta against Simpson.
Apart from on field results the new coach will have to be media savvy as any weakness or poor messaging will be jumped on.
I also think their youth ( apart from Reid) is underwhelming , going to be a tough climb back......

cuts both ways. WC have vast resources so expectations are higher and patience and thinner.

With respect that's debatable - their fan base is entitled and impatient after the last few years of mediocrity.
They can be savage and Simpson had won them a Flag !
The WA media is Eagles centric and the local rag can be like a viper - they openly ran a vendetta against Simpson.
Apart from on field results the new coach will have to be media savvy as any weakness or poor messaging will be jumped on.
I also think their youth ( apart from Reid) is underwhelming , going to be a tough climb back......
I really do feel like whoever this WC coach ends up being is a lamb to a slaughter.

In the Neeld, McCartney, Bolton mold. The coach that gets the picks and bloods the talent, but ends up being cast away for the guy who can "finish the job" due to supporter impatience.

Guys like Sam Mitchell are extraordinarily rare, and even then, Sicily, Newcombe, Worpel, Day, Lewis, Nash, Scrimshaw, & Hardwick were already on the list before he took over.

That's 90% of the core players that have pushed the Hawks up the ladder this year - Do the Eagles have that same core of then 18-25 year old talent already on their list? I'm inclined to say no.

That's without mentioning the guys like Maginness, Ward, DGB, & Mackenzie, who were probably the equivalent of Archer Reid, Ginbey, & Hewett at least at the time.

I really believe Kingy would be better off staying with us, potentially winning a flag or two (or at the very least contributing to high finishes, such is the Geelong way) and then having the pick of a club in a much better situation when the time comes.

In the next couple of years alone, all of Brisbane, WBD, Melbourne, Richmond, Port, Adelaide, & Fremantle could be on the look out for a new coach IMO.

There's no rush for him, there's positions that come along every year, and just about anyone would be in a better position than WC currently are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid aside you would take our under 23s before theirs and they have sat anchored at the bottom for a couple of years already collecting draft picks. It is a looooong way back for clubs that tip over the edge, North, WC & now Richmond.

I really do feel like whoever this WC coach ends up being is a lamb to a slaughter.

In the Neeld, McCartney, Bolton mold. The coach that gets the picks and bloods the talent, but ends up being cast away for the guy who can "finish the job" due to supporter impatience.

Guys like Sam Mitchell are extraordinarily rare, and even then, Sicily, Newcombe, Worpel, Day, Lewis, Nash, Scrimshaw, & Hardwick were already on the list before he took over.

That's 90% of the core players that have pushed the Hawks up the ladder this year - Do the Eagles have that same core of then 18-25 year old talent already on their list? I'm inclined to say no.

That's without mentioning the guys like Maginness, Ward, DGB, & Mackenzie, who were probably the equivalent of Archer Reid, Ginbey, & Hewett at least at the time.

I really believe Kingy would be better off staying with us, potentially winning a flag or two (or at the very least contributing to high finishes, such is the Geelong way) and then having the pick of a club in a much better situation when the time comes.

In the next couple of years alone, all of Brisbane, WBD, Melbourne, Richmond, Port, Adelaide, & Fremantle could be on the look out for a new coach IMO.

There's no rush for him, there's positions that come along every year, and just about anyone would be in a better position than WC currently are.
Mitchell has achieved nothing yet. If he doesn’t succeed (ie. make a GF) in the next 2 seasons the pressure will be well and truly on him.

Reid aside you would take our under 23s before theirs and they have sat anchored at the bottom for a couple of years already collecting draft picks. It is a looooong way back for clubs that tip over the edge, North, WC & now Richmond.
This is the thing though, they haven't been collecting high picks.

People get tricked by their position over the last few years and think they must have been stockpiling talent. They haven't.

Outside of Reid, our u-23s are miles ahead, it's not even close. It's not overly impressive for us to say that either, as most of the league would be too.

They've been a basket case and still haven't actually hit the draft that hard, or traded young guns in.

Since 2018, these are the first round picks on their list.

• Campbell Chesser
  • Reuben Ginbey
  • Elijah Hewett
  • Harley Reid

Compare that to us:

• Sam De Koning
  • Max Holmes
  • Tanner Bruhn
  • Ollie Henry
  • Jhye Clark
  • Connor O'Sullivan

One team has made 2 Grand Finals in that period, 4 preliminary finals, and missed the eight just once.

The other has been in the discussion as the worst side since Fitzroy.

We know better than anyone that high picks aren't everything, but to be where they are and not actually have those picks at all says a lot.

There's no Ollie Dempsey, Lawson Humphries, or Shannon Neale taken in that period either as a later gem.

Brady Hough looks like being a reliable lockdown defender for a long time, and Noah Long has shown signs of promise...but that's about it.

If King has gone to WA for an interview I think it is pretty disrespectful of West Coast getting an Assistant Coach from the east coast to come over an interview while their side is still involved in finals. I understand King would have discussed it with the club before agreeing to go and the Cats have told him he was ok to go, but it is not ideal.

Last edited:
If King has gone to WA for an interview I think it is pretty disrespectful of West Coast getting an Assistant Coach from the east coast to come over an interview while their side is still involved in finals. It also makes me wonder if King is self first rather than team first.
??? It's an interview, not confirmation of the job. And frankly, they owe us nothing - especially given that in a week, Port Adelaide might be looking for a senior coach, not to mention that Beveridge's job isn't exactly looking rosy.

For what it's worth, Adelaide hired Brenton Sanderson the week before we played the 2007 Grand Final.

If Steven King does take on the position, he needs to make all the provisions to move his family (if he has a partner and kids). That takes time - and then it's a pretty quick runway to Trade Week and the Draft.

??? It's an interview, not confirmation of the job. And frankly, they owe us nothing - especially given that in a week, Port Adelaide might be looking for a senior coach, not to mention that Beveridge's job isn't exactly looking rosy.

For what it's worth, Adelaide hired Brenton Sanderson the week before we played the 2007 Grand Final.

If Steven King does take on the position, he needs to make all the provisions to move his family (if he has a partner and kids). That takes time - and then it's a pretty quick runway to Trade Week and the Draft.
It puts him away from the club for 1-2 days during the preparation for a Prelim Final

I get that King flying out west to Perth to interview for the WCE job may not seem like ideal preparation ahead of a prelim final in a couple of days, but for some perspective this happened in the lead up to our prelim in 2011 -

Sanderson to coach Crows​

The Adelaide Football Club confirms the appointment of Brenton Sanderson to the position of senior coach.

Sep 19, 2011, 8:06pm

The Adelaide Football Club confirms the appointment of Brenton Sanderson to the position of senior coach.

Sanderson, 37, has immediately stepped down from his role as an assistant coach with the Geelong Football Club to accept Adelaide’s role on a three-year term.

---

It's not like this isn't similar to situations we've been in before

Re King , easily ( no bias) the best candidate , Geel capt - prem player - Foot ass/coach flag winning year

However with all jobs its not what you know - its who you know

Skipworth very modest playing record , 50 odd games for 2 clubs , however one of the clubs was Ess , under Worsfold and also an ass/coach with Worsfold at Ess . John Worsfold , with ex team mate Don Pyke CEO of Eagles , and reports that Skipworth is now new fave for job and with that connection he will get it in my opinion

Re King , easily ( no bias) the best candidate , Geel capt - prem player - Foot ass/coach flag winning year

However with all jobs its not what you know - its who you know

Skipworth very modest playing record , 50 odd games for 2 clubs , however one of the clubs was Ess , under Worsfold and also an ass/coach with Worsfold at Ess . John Worsfold , with ex team mate Don Pyke CEO of Eagles , and reports that Skipworth is now new fave for job and with that connection he will get it in my opinion
How good you were as a player has very little bearing, IMO, on how good you are as a coach.

The only premiership coaches of the last 20 years who were star AFL footballers were Longmire, Roos, and Simpson. Four of the best of them (Scott, Thompson, Malthouse and Clarko IMO) were hardworking defensive players.

How good you were as a player has very little bearing, IMO, on how good you are as a coach.

The only premiership coaches of the last 20 years who were star AFL footballers were Longmire, Roos, and Simpson. Four of the best of them (Scott, Thompson, Malthouse and Clarko IMO) were hardworking defensive players.
Those 3 were very good 200 game players , and Thompson was an Ess prem capt

Clarkson is the only one in your list who you can compare to Skipworth , just absolute battlers and no good at all

Remove this Banner Ad

News Return of the King

Remove this Banner Ad

Back