Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a softness in BZT's approach to the tough over the ball contests, especially the second contest that I've never seen him display before in his games with us and never want to see again. And he wasn't alone.

Never though I would see a Port player duck a contest in a final. I saw three tonight. And our lack of tackle pressure was an embarrassment.

Those facts on their own highlight a need for top down change.

I imagine when the entire team is playing like shit and balls keep raining into the oppo 50, BZT feels shellshocked, and has PTSD flashbacks to his Bombers days.

must GIF

To give somewhat of a review:

They basically did to us what we did to them earlier in the year. Hardcore running, fast movement, intense pressure, players over the back constantly and made it count.

Should have left when Cameron kicked that goal in the opening minutes.

Our midfield once again fails to turn up to a final, for the fourth time in succession. Absolutely obliterated. Zero pressure on their mids, zero ability to keep the ball when we have it.

Sweet....I mean that's pretty much in 'should never play again' territory. That was the worst ruck performance I've seen, and I watched Jarrad Redden not get a single hitout in a half of football in 2015. Trade Soldo out at our peril.

Wines was poor but tried to get things going. Drew was poor but didn't do much at all. Boak & Burgoyne were non-events on the wing. Burgoyne especially. He's had a good year, but **** me, kick a drop punt bro. He just constantly grabs the ball then kicks a banana up the field. How is that helpful?

Rozee and Butters were just lame. Rozee especially. Just awful. Zero leadership, zero desire.

The defensive setup was a calamity. Aliir has had a poor year, but that was something else tonight. Dropped marks, falling over, taking out teammates, bad decision making. Ordinary.

Many will criticise Rat tonight, but I thought at the very least in the first half he was giving 100% and working his butt off to win the ball often with horrid delivery against two opponents. He attacked the ball hard and was getting his hands dirty to make sure it at least stayed in the area. Dixon did **** all.

I'd love to say i'm disappointed. 10 years ago I'd be shattered at this sort of result. Right now its annoying but oh so expected. I think we all knew this could happen and hoped it wouldn't happen this year. The club from top down is broken. I actually hope we lose next week. I don't want any possible excuse for them keeping the peanut in charge any longer. They'll lose thousands of members over this. I and my family will be 5 of them.

I love footy, it's my life. But I hate what my club has become for the last decade.

I just don't know how to handle that emotionally.
be glad we won't be in theGF

Now, you can plan the GF weekend, knowing we won't lose by >119 which would happen on the mcg wirh this team that C and VC and Coach

time moves on.

16 other teams wont win the GF either

If we expected Koch, a seasoned boardroom campaigner (no that wasn't autocorrect), to let Tredders waltz in to the boardroom and start creating change, without hamstringing him heavily in red tape, that was unrealistic of us.

But fortunately the 'untenable' call put Kenny on national radar, and nothin's gonna save him when we lose next week, Tredders or no Tredders.
I hope you are right with kern being gone next week but unless he pulls the pin on himself I doubt koch has the stones to make the call, even if the club does go out in straight sets again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought that would have been the case after last year's straight sets but it wasn't. So many happy clappers just happy we exist
You’d be amazed how many they are, was on a forum the other day, unbelievable that so many people think Ken is god like.
He’s done so much for this club, look how bad the club was before he took over 🤪.
I’m telling you there’s 10’s of thousands of these people.

Last edited:
From his presser: “we cant make wholesale changes at this time of the year we just dont have the personnel available to make those changes” “marshalls played 1 and a half games in 8 weeks”

Absolute cop out dog shit. We have 6 players on our injury list and 1 out with suspension. We have what 44 players on our list thats 37 players available. We have more than the capability to swap out a one armmed ruckman for visentini, Daniel stewart mk2 in ratugolea for marshall, although possibly a stretch lorenz and sinn for absolutely anyone, theyre there right infront of you but you continually back mac n cheese frankie evans quinton narkle.whats funny is anything less than an 84 point loss will be seen as a success because aw guys we learnt how cute. We had something like 26 players with finals experience, theyve learnt who hasnt learnt is the “man” thats meant to be leading them. Looks like we’re going around again with the same lot lads.

live by the sword you die by the sword

Last edited:
It's impossible to blame one player for that crap performance tonight but geez Ratugolea is unfortunately looking like the king spud of all king spuds, he is built like tarzan but plays like Jane's grandma and has absolutely zero footy nous.

Visentini copped a bit of flack last week and quite rightly so, but he has to be a better option than Esava.
You can criticise Rat if you like but he is not soft. He attacks the ball and doesn’t shirk an issue. He’s not soft.

I'd love to say i'm disappointed. 10 years ago I'd be shattered at this sort of result. Right now its annoying but oh so expected. I think we all knew this could happen and hoped it wouldn't happen this year. The club from top down is broken. I actually hope we lose next week. I don't want any possible excuse for them keeping the peanut in charge any longer.

Geelong have Chris Scott, a ruthless member of the Brisbane Lions dynasty, who played the bulk of his career under likeminded premiership-winning bastards, Robert Walls & Leigh Matthews — with a short coaching apprenticeship under grizzled Mark Harvey.

Port have Ken Hinkley, an attacking flanker from the Cats’ peak ’handbagger’ era, who played the bulk of his career under the as-then 3-time GF loser Malcolm Blight, before doing an apprenticeship under Malcolm during his disastrous phoned-in stop at Moorabbin, and famously failing myriad applications for top jobs while a line-coach under Bomber Thompson (now a frozen water salesman).

They both perform as a product of their journeys.

Reckon they’d entertain a trade?

Nah I literally drove over from Melbourne for this, they even had me fooled for a second but ah well.. I don't even care to be honest. Just numb and some what relieved that we were all right about ken.
Ah well look at the bright side you are out of that Melbourne shithole for 5 minutes.

I was sitting next to a random who wasn't a Port or Geelong supporter but went with his Port supporting family.

What summed up the game perfectly for me was in the third quarter he made a comment "This team finished second, if anyone can come back, its Port" literally 2 seconds before Aliir and Jones take each other out in a marking contest and Geelong mark uncontested in the goal square for an easy goal. I laughed

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back