Richmond drafting - explains a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont get invited to many parties do you :(
Sook up much?

The sooner you accept that you follow an average footy team with a crap trading history the better off you will be.

All you have done here is over-rate your players/trade history and sook up when others give you a reality check.

Richmond are no good because the have traded poorly. Embrace it (as us carlton supporters have) and you won't feel so angry, or feel the need to defend the indefensible..(Steve Morris)..

And you wonder why most bag you guys. Here you have an oppo supporter be as respectful as possible while dissagreeing and you act like a knob. Im not so respectfull and think you are just a ******

Good on you mate.

I wasn't aware that rating Caddy and Nankervis as average footballers qualified for acting "like a knob". But I guess you learn something every day.

Prestia is very good footballer who should have a good long career at Richmond. I did query whether Richmond was in a position to give up pick 6 but only time will tell on that front.

Caddy is absolutely an average footballer, as is Nankervis for that matter.

Nankervis is a 22 year old ruckmen who has shown some promise and is too young to say if he will make it or not but has shown signs that he will, Caddy was played out of position this year and still managed 20 and 1 which is pretty good, not a star but will add well to our midfield depth, we targeted the types we needed and overall had a very good trade period this year.

Sook up much?

The sooner you accept that you follow an average footy team with a crap trading history the better off you will be.

All you have done here is over-rate your players/trade history and sook up when others give you a reality check.

Richmond are no good because the have traded poorly. Embrace it (as us carlton supporters have) and you won't feel so angry, or feel the need to defend the indefensible..(Steve Morris)..
We have in the past I agree but this year we did very well, probably in the top 3 for trades this year.

Nankervis is a 22 year old ruckmen who has shown some promise and is too young to say if he will make it or not but has shown signs that he will, Caddy was played out of position this year and still managed 20 and 1 which is pretty good, not a star but will add well to our midfield depth, we targeted the types we needed and overall had a very good trade period this year.

So.....both are average footballers?

Marchbank, pickett both average players to i suppose? You gave up a first rounder for him

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring Carlton into this again. They are not relevant in the slightest.

Pickett hasn't played a senior game yet so to make a call either way wouldn't be based on anything of substance. The most accurate description would be very talented junior who hasn't yet come on as hoped, for a variety of reasons.

Marchbank was a high draft pick and very highly rated by GWS. Has had plenty of injuries over his short career, but yeah I guess you could call his output that of an average footballer if that makes you feel more comfortable.

The overreaction by Richmond supporters in here has been quite hilarious. What'd you expect - Caddy and Nankervis to be considered guns?

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring Carlton into this again. They are not relevant in the slightest.

Pickett hasn't played a senior game yet so to make a call either way wouldn't be based on anything of substance. The most accurate description would be very talented junior who hasn't yet come on as hoped, for a variety of reasons.

Marchbank was a high draft pick and very highly rated by GWS. Has had plenty of injuries over his short career, but yeah I guess you could call his output that of an average footballer if that makes you feel more comfortable.

The overreaction by Richmond supporters in here has been quite hilarious. What'd you expect - Caddy and Nankervis to be considered guns?
No one called them guns. I myself feel in current output nankervis is average but has big potential, while caddy who was ranked in the top 100 in afl rattings at one stage, is a better then just average player. If there was a scale that went, dud, depth, role player, average, above average, very good, then elite I would have him above average. Is only 24 and was ready to break out in 2015 before danger came in. Is he a star? No can he be in the very good or slightly below category? I think so

There is no doubt Caddy is a little better than average but Richmond really need elite talent to go forward and he certainly is well short of that.
Prestia probably short of A grade midfielder but still a good mid and will help Cotchin out this year. Problem is when Richmond at least rose above 9th level it was usually a common factor of Deledio a star in many of those better wins. He is now gone so you need Prestia to be as good to reduce the loss. This is all looking like creating a team only good enough to rise to 9th!!!!

Richmond have one pick at pick 27 in first 55 picks of current draft.
Tells me Richmond still do not know how ordinary their list currently is, to go so short on resources to generate elite talent straight away.
I think Richmond are 12 months off being total aware how ordinary it is. I think Neil Balme is one guy that won't spin bullshit like current people have. If at end of 2017 Corey Ellis and Lennon not quality players or Yarran not back to playing quality standard football he will not mince words with rest of his football department. Have little doubt he giving them a 12 month grace period before things get real.
They may then work on a true building of list from ground zero like Carlton started on last year.

That was a shocking draft for SOS. .

Only 5 picks, all in the top 25, no longer at the club. He's only got 2 in that range this year. Hope he makes them count.

Only 5 picks, all in the top 25, no longer at the club. He's only got 2 in that range this year. Hope he makes them count.

Not sure how you can judge that a shocking draft haul given all those players will be playing league football in 2017 and in reality if in 5 years time 3 of those top 25 picks are playing good league football it will be a good strike rate.
60% strike rate of draft picks being success in top 25 picks is probably what most recruiters would aim for. The sub 40% that Richmond run at is what you do not want.
That GWS traded all those players, has more to do with their salary cap and condensing their list back in line with other clubs than about anything else. They could not just sign them all up on contracts to secure their long term future. That would mean more money. They forced to let guys go, especially Marchbank nominating us along with Pickett.
Injuries to top three has meant they had little chance to make impact in their two years in system. I am very happy SOS himself got two over to Carlton very cheap knowing how much GWS needed to let talent go to keep long term from busting their cap. Saints got Steele, North got the injured Ahern cheap too, Melbourne got McKenna that I know least about.

Personally I think Steele for Saints will have a good career.
Marchbank am confident will do the same for us and Pickett could be an absolute gun if gets over his injuries. From the idiot we had in charge of list in same draft period of 2014 we only have one player left in the league system.
Dan Richardson might go the way of him if he does not improve his strike rate.
Corey Elllis and Menadue need to come on and trade in Yarran play good football to start to show any worth. Like our 2014 draftee Boekhorst, this year is make or break for Ellis. Those top 25 draftees need to start making impact by end of third year on list to justify as being taken as first round picks. After two years is silly for any of us to make a call on 2014 draftees. If they are out of league system is only exception.

Last edited:
Injuries to top three has meant they had little chance to make impact in their two years in system. I am very happy SOS himself got two over to Carlton very cheap knowing how much GWS needed to let talent go to keep long term from busting their cap.
Time will tell if they got them on the cheap. Marchbank was a bolter being picked at 6. He was a SOS special.

Time will tell if they got them on the cheap. Marchbank was a bolter being picked at 6. He was a SOS special.

I am happy with our SOS special.
Are you happy with how your Dan's Duds are progressing?:p
All shit stirring aside, how long has Dan Richardson been list manager there?
If he has only been there two or three years himself he has not had time to prove whether he is good at his job or not. Hard to keep track of how long each head list manager been around. Wells at Geelong has been the standard for some time. The Doggies recruiters are the new trend setters in last four or five years. Be curious if they had same people all that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy with our SOS special.
Are you happy with how your Dan's Duds are progressing?:p
All shit stirring aside, how long has Dan Richardson been list manager there?
If he has only been there two or three years himself he has not had time to prove whether he is good at his job or not. Hard to keep track of how long each head list manager been around. Wells at Geelong has been the standard for some time. The Doggies recruiters are the new trend setters in last four or five years. Be curious if they had same people all that time.
2012 draft ordinary for SOS as well.
Whitfield at 1 was a win.

O'Rourke and Plowman at 2 and 3 are no longer at the club. Either is Jacsch at 12.

The jury is out with Corr at 14 and Stewart at 27 has also left the club.

From the 2012 and 2013 drafts SOS had 11 picks with 27 being he lowest pick with Whitfield and Corr the only players left on the Giants list.

O'Rourke and Plowman at 2 and 3 are no longer at the club. Either is Jacsch at 12.

From the 2012 and 2013 drafts SOS had 11 picks in the top 27 each year with Whitfield and Corr the only players left on the Giants list.

I'm not even sure SOS was even doing the selecting back then. He was still learning to be in recruiting departments. Have a feeling someone else was head of list management back then. Having said that, all those GWS players still in AFL system in 2017 means no final jury of what GWS did then we can lock in. To me looking at 2012 draft it looks kind of weak pool in general. I think few guns across the league picked in that one. Father-son picks looks the best from pool apart from Whitfield. In any case GWS list is the best stocked in league right now. Those recruiters overall done their job. Their overall strike rate is a lot better than Gold Coast recruiters that had a year head start on.

From the 2012 and 2013 drafts SOS had 11 picks with 27 being he lowest pick with Whitfield and Corr the only players left on the Giants list.

Point is they must have done something ok to be in a position of absolute strength they are in now

That's all well and good...but why is it being discussed here?

Silvagni had the luxury of experimenting a little with the huge amount of early picks he had at his disposal.

It was never going to be that all developed into superstars. Expecting otherwise is just naive.

That's all well and good...but why is it being discussed here?

Silvagni had the luxury of experimenting a little with the huge amount of early picks he had at his disposal.

It was never going to be that all developed into superstars. Expecting otherwise is just naive.
Yep, but a strike rate of 2 out of 11 picks still at the club with none being lower than 27 in those two years is a poor result.

Yep, but a strike rate of 2 out of 11 picks still at the club with none being lower than 27 in those two years is a poor result.
This thread is about Richmonds disastrous trading; not carltons. It is quite funny reading the defensive reactions from tigs fans. Throwing comments about carltons poor trading may make you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that richmonds trading over the last ten years has been deplorable.

Before you again tell us how bad Carlton have been, there is no need....we know! We agree. You will get no argument from us. We are not in denial, Carlton have cleaned out 26 players in two years. There will be another 10+ next year. Our list is slowly building. We will finish bottom four but so be it. We do not have our head in the sand like Richmond (which I'm thankful for because they/you) provide such entertainment with their delusional thinking/trading.

Again, this is a thread about Richmonds crap trading. Once you accept it, you will feel much better.

Prestia is very good footballer who should have a good long career at Richmond. I did query whether Richmond was in a position to give up pick 6 but only time will tell on that front.

Caddy is absolutely an average footballer, as is Nankervis for that matter.
I am willing to give Nankervis and Caddy a chance.

Nankervis may not be a star at 22 years old but we are hoping he improves over his career. Does he have that potential? I think so.

Before a conclusion is made about Caddy, we need to see how he slots into the team dynamics at Richmond. Many players will look average next to Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield, so I'd wait to see how he goes with our midfield. He may thrive upon being one of the main mids unlike the role he played at Geelong.

This thread is about Richmonds disastrous trading; not carltons. It is quite funny reading the defensive reactions from tigs fans. Throwing comments about carltons poor trading may make you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that richmonds trading over the last ten years has been deplorable.
Huh? Where did I mention Carlton in that post?

I am willing to give Nankervis and Caddy a chance.

Nankervis may not be a star at 22 years old but we are hoping he improves over his career. Does he have that potential? I think so.

Before a conclusion is made about Caddy, we need to see how he slots into the team dynamics at Richmond. Many players will look average next to Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield, so I'd wait to see how he goes with our midfield. He may thrive upon being one of the main mids unlike the role he played at Geelong.
He'll look like a superstar when he plays next to Morris and Grigg..

This thread is about evaluating Richmonds drafting. Comparing with other clubs gives a good indication of where they sit in comparison.

Lots of precious Carlton supporters in here.

2014 is a good example. There's been a bit of talk on here about Corey Ellis being picked up at 12. Before they got to that pick that year, SOS had already failed on pick 4, 6 and 7 who after 2 years are no longer at the club.

Facts are, the jury is still out on Ellis. As for picks 4,6,7, one can only see them as failures for SOS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond drafting - explains a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back