Preview Richmond vs GWS | Sunday July 23rd | MCG 1:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWS NEAFL playing at Blacktown. If it was NT, Brisbane or Canberra you'd expect him not to travel.
I'm betting Coniglio will be playing NEAFL.

Now all we need is Greene to be a late withdrawl, have run with players for Kelly, Shiel and Scully and we'll be good

Monumental out is Jeremy Cameron. Huge. Coniglio will play NEAFL for a week surely. I'd imagine he'd play if this was at Spotless, though.

- Astbury will towel up Patton with Rance floating between he and Lobb.
- Grimes to get the job on Toby Greene? Shut him down (Not easy) and GWS are a lot less potent.
- Prestia has the tank to run with Josh Kelly, Lambert does too. Shiel also dangerous.
- Nank can easily break even Vs Mumford.
- I'd back our FWD line in to get on top of the GWS defence.

Strangely confident of a win here.

Sorry to use a cliche, but this one is won and lost in the midfield.

If we can get the centre breaks and contested footy in our favour, we'll have a chance to kick some goals. If we try and rebound from defence, their pressure will cut us up and we'll concede too many points from turnovers. They will spread the ball coming out of defence and will try to create 1:1 contests around the ground. Every time they kick the footy long, it needs to be going to a 3:2 or 4:3, with us having the spare player.

We win this game through sheer hard work in the midfield and taking our chances in front of goal. We lose if we zone off and defend space. The Swans created the template last week, we just need to be brave enough to do likewise.

Cheers.

Dave P.

I like this post Dave P. You've had a lot of good things to say in your relatively few posts.

On this occasion I agree with you assessment but tend to disagree with your proposal.

All week they will have taken Paul Roos assessment on board, that they wasted their +1 defender. The swans +1 was highly effective and theirs wasted. If we are to play a +1 in defence, it means that they have a +1 in defence...and you can bet your life that this week they will not suffer the same problems again...those being that they didn't use that player to rebound through the middle of the ground.

I disagree that GWS want to kick to 1 v 1 contests. They want to kick to free players, even if that is 25m laterally to a running Scully, Kelly, Shaw, Shiel, Whitfield so they can run and then kick with penetration deep inside 50. Now the only way that can happen (assuming our players are running both ways, which is a big assumption) is if we give them an extra number somewhere on the ground. As long as I have watched Sydney they have always played with a +1 and do it better than any other team. I think on paper our defenders are the best in the league so IMO to have a +1 gives our opposition an incredible advantage, as it makes our forward line less potent and can catch out our lazy mids with not a great deal of return for our already superior defence.

I think that if we can go into the game knowing that whenever GWS get the ball that every man will be covered, no zoning...no pushing up to be exposed over the back, then we stand some sort of chance against them. Every player must find someone when there is a turnover and if they want to play with a 7 man defence, we will play with 7 forwards. I have been in shock every time this year when DImma and co have gone with a +1. A crowded chaos forward line, no excuses for the midfield and a 1 on 1 defence is the most logical decision for mine. If they play a +1, man him up.

They will still run their leggies off regardless of who is out.

Just get those four points.

I know i know. Was said in Jest. It's a handy out. But they are a classy outfit.
The reality is with our form slump, this probably only evens it up a bit.

In: Menadue Bolton Elton

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Ellis Short McIntosh
C: Cotchin Grigg Edwards
HF: Castagna Rioli Butler
F: Caddy Riewoldt Martin
R: Nankervis Prestia Miles
IC: Vlastuin Soldo Lambert Broad Bolton Menadue Elton

In: Menadue Bolton Elton

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Ellis Short McIntosh
C: Cotchin Grigg Edwards
HF: Castagna Rioli Butler
F: Caddy Riewoldt Martin
R: Nankervis Prestia Miles
IC: Vlastuin Soldo Lambert Broad Bolton Menadue Elton

...? Your prediction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing the preliminary ins/outs tonight as it always promotes a great discussion until confirmed teams tomorrow arvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah its bullshit. cant melt properly with the extended squad announcement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Official preliminary squad:

IN: Markov, Bolton, C. Ellis
OUT:

B: Rance, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Short, Vlastuin, B. Ellis
C: Prestia, Edwards, Cotchin
HF: Martin, Rioli, Castagna
F: Riewoldt, Lambert, Butler
R: Nankervis, Grigg, Caddy
IC from: Miles, McIntosh, Broad, Soldo, Bolton, Markov, C. Ellis

Official preliminary squad:

IN: Markov, Bolton, C. Ellis
OUT:

B: Rance, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Short, Vlastuin, B. Ellis
C: Prestia, Edwards, Cotchin
HF: Martin, Rioli, Castagna
F: Riewoldt, Lambert, Butler
R: Nankervis, Grigg, Caddy
IC from: Miles, McIntosh, Broad, Soldo, Bolton, Markov, C. Ellis

Stoked to see Cellis in...was very handy in the VFL...clearances and possies...4 quarter effort...classy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back