Game Day U18 National Championships - Allies v Vic Country Sunday July 7th 10.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

Jagga Smith - exactly the type of midfielder we need. Always tries and has top-line footy IQ. The best player in the draft, the fact he is so skinny is still dominates is impressive, N.Daicos style of midfielder.

Toby Travaglia - this kid should be a top 5 pick. Is like a mixture of Vlastuin/Rioli in the way he intercepts and takes the game on.

Jonty Faul - looks like an old school full forward, big, takes a nice grab and good kicking action. Player Reference: taller Taylor Walker

Harry Armstrong - can cause havoc in the forward line, elite long left foot kick, and strong mark. Player reference: Jake Waterman

Isaac Kako - quick and nimble, reads the bounce of the ball well and could be the best small forward in the draft. Player Reference: Tom Papley

Murphy Reid - highly skilful outside/inside midfielder. Reminds me alot of a Steele Sidebottom the way he plays.

Harvey Langford - bull on the inside. Crisp left foot kick and can take a good grab. Reminds me of 2 Freo players in Fyfe with the inside ability and high marking and Matthew Johnson in movement/size.

Josh Smilie - not overly impressed with his carnival. Played better in the VFL games. Doesn’t have the skills to go no.1 imo. His size is the reason he is in top 10 discussions, far more skillfull midfielders. Couple of pre-seasons and could be a bull at AFL level, but at the moment doesn’t play like he is a bull.

Finn O’Sullivan - time out is obvious, hasn’t had the time and space to show why he is highly rated. Seems to read the play and does the right things though the other mids have been better.

Sam Laylor - played in the forward line mostly. Naturally inclined to give the dont argue, skills are solid and his body is AFL ready. Dusty/Ollie Wines type.

Luke Trainor - best intercept type defender. Reads the play well and uses it well. Similar to Gibcus and could compliment him.

Others have impressed. These are the players I feel suit our team the most.
berry mate 3 goals great defensive fwd

I’m not too fussed, so I’ll be happy with any of Langford, Reid, Kako, Armstrong, Travaglia, Jack Whitlock, Lalor, Smillie, FOS, Smith, Faull, Lindsay from VIC Country/Vic Metro by the end of our draft.

There were a couple from SA, WA, and the Allies that I liked the look of too.

Honestly, if we’re just looking at the national championship matches alone, it doesn’t really look like there’s a standout Pick 1. I wouldn’t be against splitting our pick if we can get a really good deal in return

I still want Draper with our first pick.
Both the Whitlock boys look very good.
Jagga was good.
Travaglia would be good for us if we can get another pick in the 15
Lots of decent players in this draft based on the national championships alone. The top end don’t seem that far away from the next group unlike some other years, so it’ll be an interesting draft this year

The talls really shone today
Armstrong,
Sims,
Whitlock.
Should play more u18 games at Marvel in the future
Great first half by Travaglia, his run, carry, kicking, meters gained was a standout. I read that he’s been playing some midfield time in the Coates league, kicked 3 goals recently in that role.
Lindsay ranks also have to be rising
Re our first pick , non the wiser after today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of decent players in this draft based on the national championships alone. The top end don’t seem that far away from the next group unlike some other years, so it’ll be an interesting draft this year
I’d love to have several top 20 picks. Even if it means losing baker

Who was it that said Smillie doesn't win the hard ball 🤔
I said I had a query on being a bit soft, that’s not just winning the hard ball but digging in when the going gets tough. He’s got a big size advantage at this level and nothing I saw today changed my mind on him.
My man FOS was very underwhelming tho, looked so far off it today.
Reid, Langford & Lindsey we’re the midfield picks for mine today.

Jagga was way better than FOS and Smillie
Only issue I have with Jagga is literally not even to do with Jagga himself. It’s our strength & conditioning staff. He looks pretty lean, and I wonder whether they can help us unlock his potential at AFL level.

All the more reason to do a strength & conditioning overhaul this off-season. We shouldn’t be restricted on what type of player we pick in the draft just because of our S&C department. If GWS picked him, then I’d have little doubt they’d unlock his potential.

Only issue I have with Jagga is literally not even to do with Jagga himself. It’s our strength & conditioning staff. He looks pretty lean, and I wonder whether they can help us unlock his potential at AFL level.

All the more reason to do a strength & conditioning overhaul this off-season. We shouldn’t be restricted on what type of player we pick in the draft just because of our S&C department. If GWS picked him, then I’d have little doubt they’d unlock his potential.
FOS is also very light.

Lalor was breaking tackles and winning contests forward of the ball, really impressive. Travaglia was awesome and should've been awareded the game saving intercept mark instead of a free against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day U18 National Championships - Allies v Vic Country Sunday July 7th 10.35am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back