Preview Richmond Vs Melbourne, MCG, Sunday 3:40 pm.... This is SRS BZNSS

Who will taste sweet victory this Sunday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 19 May

Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 8
Max 17
Partly cloudy.​
Melbourne area

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers over the southeast clearing in the afternoon. Winds west to southwesterly and light.

I
Great attitude toward a guy who bleeds for the jumper. I bet you'd prefer we bring in a proven selfish knob like Edwards?
I'd bleed for the jumper if I played bit that doesn't mean I should be selected. I just can't help but feel he has been given enough chances without showing much, and he's 26 now so I agree it feels like a wasted game

I only feel the need to post when something irritates me.

Atm the thing irritating me on this board is the incessant calling for Arnot and Edwards to come into the side.

My (unpopular) belief of Arnot is that he will be delisted at seasons end. Reasons being he is undersized, he is listed at 180cm but in the times I've walked past him at games he is closer to 175cm. He is slow. He is one dimensional, cannot play any other position on the ground other than inside mid in an era where versatility is key. And from watching his games at Couburg people call him 'hard at it' but that hardness is more often than not directed at his opponent and not the ball making him more thug than hardnut. He may well get a few games but it would a massive mistake putting him out against Melbourne and letting him look like a star and earning another week then when the reality of a real game in dream time he is found out.

On Edwards. As has been said many times before he is a 184cm key forward. Most likely he will ONLY come in if Jack or McGuane go down. This is the reality of the situation he offers nothing anywhere else on the ground but key forward.

Team balance is everything! You cannot replace Knights with Arnot! Come on people! Tuck was replaced Cotchin and Knights was replaced by White which was absolutely the correct decision as both are like-for-likes.

Anyway RANT OVER

Re: cotchin's fitness

He was subject to a test during the week. Selection was pending in that result, and he passed. However, a hyperextended knee is smething you can play on, you just have pain and it swells up afterwards. Even if he's "right to go" it's only 3 weeks since it happened and 2 weeks since it last swelled up. We have a long season ahead and we need Cotchin to be pain-free, not carrying a niggle for another month because it keeps swelling up for the next couple of weeks.

The only reason he's playing is because Dimma wants a culture of players playing through the pain. He doesn't accept injury as an excuse.

With this in mind, I understand cotchin's selection. In isolation, it doesn't make sense to play him. But the overall culture-boosting effects of this kind of attitude are worth the small risk. The captain leads from the front and if anyone else is carrying a niggle (everyone has something) they will be absolutely clear of what is expected of them.

This is why we got a hard coach like Dimma after all.
Pretty sure it was mentioned in the paper this week he had bone bruising around the knee ? ;)

Atm the thing irritating me on this board is the incessant calling for Arnot and Edwards to come into the side.

My (unpopular) belief of Arnot is that he will be delisted at seasons end. Reasons being he is undersized, he is listed at 180cm but in the times I've walked past him at games he is closer to 175cm. He is slow. He is one dimensional, cannot play any other position on the ground other than inside mid in an era where versatility is key. And from watching his games at Couburg people call him 'hard at it' but that hardness is more often than not directed at his opponent and not the ball making him more thug than hardnut. He may well get a few games but it would a massive mistake putting him out against Melbourne and letting him look like a star and earning another week then when the reality of a real game in dream time he is found out.

On Edwards. As has been said many times before he is a 184cm key forward. Most likely he will ONLY come in if Jack or McGuane go down. This is the reality of the situation he offers nothing anywhere else on the ground but key forward.

Team balance is everything! You cannot replace Knights with Arnot! Come on people! Tuck was replaced Cotchin and Knights was replaced by White which was absolutely the correct decision as both are like-for-likes.

Anyway RANT OVER
Well our selectors ( FJ) must be dumb ass for picking a short arse player ( Arnot) and a one dimensional 184cm key forward ( Azza)... I mean, what was Francis thinking for gods sake?

Anyway RANT OVER
Who the **** are you to come in here and post common sense ? ;) :thumbsu:

Arnot -> replaces Tuck
cotchin -> replaces knights

imo this is a better fit, especially for this game. Have cotchin rotating forward/mid with arnot playing inside. Tuck/Arnot are more similar players than cotchin/tuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well our selectors ( FJ) must be dumb arse for picking a short arse player ( Arnot) and a one dimensional 184cm key forward ( Azza)... I mean, what was Francis thinking for gods sake?

I don't doubt the selection of Edwards for a moment he is the perfect backup goal kicking forward we need! But at this moment theirs no place for him in the side. Mcguane or Jack will miss a game at some point and he will be straight in... patience.

With Arnot, draft picks are speculative. He dominated at juniors playing in a mans body but at this point it looks like it wont turn out. I still will think he will play at some point this year and am not writing him off but the writing is defintely on the wall with Longeran being upgraded and nearing full fitness because he will go right behind a player with previous AFL experience on the depth chart.

Arnot -> replaces Tuck
cotchin -> replaces knights

imo this is a better fit, especially for this game. Have cotchin rotating forward/mid with arnot playing inside. Tuck/Arnot are more similar players than cotchin/tuck.

In what world is Cotchin a replacement for Knights. A goal kicking forward flank / winger is NOT Cotchin's position. C'mon man.

Who in your scenario moves out of the midfield into the forward flank position.

I would love to know the stats on how many centre bounces Knights has been in this year.

Depth is a word the RFC have not been accustomed to. I think the selectors have covered the "outs" well. I think Dea and Arnot would be thinking they are close and Edwards must be frustrated for McGuane and Jack's form are basically keeping him out of the team. Matt White is an interesting one. Only a depth player, he really needs to make a statement on Sunday. Big "O" is an impressive unit, and it will be interesting to see how he plays on the MCG.

I like this week's side. Competition for senior spots is clearly what Dimma and the match committee would be pleased with. It puts the ball back in the player's court. Play consistent footy to an AFL standard, and your turn will come. I'm really stoked with this.

No disrespect to Melbourne, but it was only 3 years ago when our list was compared with Melbourne's, and a panel of football commentators saw Melbourne's list as superior. On Sunday, I expect no mercy, I want an "old fashioned" flogging. These are the games where you expect to win, and when the club looks back on the year, they should look at this game as it is the percentage booster that will separate us from the the rest of the teams vying for a finals spot. No arrogance, no complacency, just follow the team strategy and the flogging will come. Because if we were to drop (I cannot use the word "lose") this game, it would be the worst loss for 10 years.

As for kids like Arnot, I'd like to think we don't pick players based on the standard of our opposition. WHEN a player deserves promotion, he should be picked. Either by good form, or an injury to a team mate - the criteria should not be based on "who" our opposition is.

What interests me is the dual between Jack and Frawley. Frawley is a perfect match to negate Jack and has done well on him recently. So the goals might need to come from several sources. The idea of "stop Jack, stop Richmond scoring" is crap. If Jack kicks a bag we will have a healthy win, but I expect others like Vickery, McGuane, Nahas, Martin etc to contribute on the scoreboard.

Win this game by making a statement and then go into the dreamtime game full of confidence. Get it done Tigers !

I'm tipping an 80 point win.

I don't doubt the selection of Edwards for a moment he is the perfect backup goal kicking forward we need! But at this moment theirs no place for him in the side. Mcguane or Jack will miss a game at some point and he will be straight in... patience.

With Arnot, draft picks are speculative. He dominated at juniors playing in a mans body but at this point it looks like it wont turn out. I still will think he will play at some point this year and am not writing him off but the writing is defintely on the wall with Longeran being upgraded and nearing full fitness because he will go right behind a player with previous AFL experience on the depth chart.

Hmmm...hope you are proven wrong with Arnot

As for kids like Arnot, I'd like to think we don't pick players based on the standard of our opposition. WHEN a player deserves promotion, he should be picked. Either by good form, or an injury to a team mate - the criteria should not be based on "who" our opposition is.

Well said.

Hmmm...hope you are proven wrong with Arnot

Me too!

What are the chances we keep picking White to play, to show clubs that he is a required player?
Maybe it adds a little bit of currency to him. Than use him for some trade bait.
He would be a best 22 at Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs? Brisbane?
Would be handy if we could use him to upgrade a pick from high 40's to low 30's.
Maybe a bit off topic feel free to move post.

What are the chances we keep picking White to play, to show clubs that he is a required player?
Maybe it adds a little bit of currency to him. Than use him for some trade bait.
He would be a best 22 at Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs? Brisbane?
Would be handy if we could use him to upgrade a pick from high 40's to low 30's.
Maybe a bit off topic feel free to move post.

I think we tried the same thing with Post last year and back fired massively.

FWIW I don't think Richmond have that killer instinct yet.
Don't think we would even know how to beat a team by 100+
Richmond by 78. We will lead by 80 odd at 3qtr time with
Richmond to ease off in the last. Our percentage worries me
even though it is much healthier than past years if you look at
the top twelve teams we are 11th when it comes to percentage.
I really believe this year 7th to 11th could be decided by
percentage only.

FWIW I don't think Richmond have that killer instinct yet.
Don't think we would even know how to beat a team by 100+
Richmond by 78. We will lead by 80 odd at 3qtr time with
Richmond to ease off in the last. Our percentage worries me
even though it is much healthier than past years if you look at
the top twelve teams we are 11th when it comes to percentage.
I really believe this year 7th to 11th could be decided by
percentage only.
Indeed, thats what thing that always lets me down. Against the bottom teams we normally play average for 3 quarters and outscore them by a couple each quarter and then have one big quarter so the end margin is reasonable. That's one of the thing that impresses me about Essendon, they dominate 4 quarters straight and don't let up until theres 5 mins left

In what world is Cotchin a replacement for Knights. A goal kicking forward flank / winger is NOT Cotchin's position. C'mon man.

Who in your scenario moves out of the midfield into the forward flank position.

I would love to know the stats on how many centre bounces Knights has been in this year.

Not sure where I said that knights should come in for centre bounces ;p

I know that isn't cotchin's position at all, my idea was purely speculative (I didn't make this clear though which is my bad) as I believe cotchin has the versatility to in most roles especially one that knights has played. Wouldn't hurt considering his form has been down the past cple of weeks before his injury. Was more thinking about Arnot playing inside. I don't disagree with you by any means, except the knights coming in for centre bounces...that was weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back