Unofficial Preview Richmond vs North - First of 3 Practice Games

During which quarter do we decide to Sack Dimma Marley?

• 1st

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • 2nd

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 3rd

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 4th

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 5th

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 6th

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • After he breaks the 2 puff max rule before passing it on

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • When he pulls out the Ruby chop to mix with his Spiff

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

if you had issues with the umpiring here just wait till we're guinea pigs again for the changes to the stand rule and the 4th umpire against carlspoon in rd 1
It has nothing to do with our tackling style it is a directive from the AFL Norf player takes us on gets caught drops to the ground no attempt ball up

Its match simulation, not even a practice match and the only thing the "Toiga Army" can glean from the simulation is anti-Toiga umpring.

Keep it classy Richmond.
The only thing norf fans can do is stalk another clubs board and then complain about them complaining about something more important than their minnow club

I don't normally bag any of our players and I like Short off half back but IMO he looked very lost in the middle - no physical impact and a number of turnovers sadly.
It's a no from me.
I’m the same as you, I love shorty, but I prefer him off half-back or at half-forward, not in the middle.

I dont think nank compliments the new midfield as he is a poor tap. I think soldo would do better with prestia, hopper and taranto st his feet.
Taps to advantage is just one area at stoppages. What Nank gives in terms of aggression and physically is more important then a tap to advantage in my opinion. His help defensively is also extremely underrated.

People fall in love with the picture perfect ruckman taps to mid who kicks to forward who kicks goal.
But in reality, 90% of stoppages aren’t pretty and you need dogs in their fighting.

Taps to advantage is just one area at stoppages. What Nank gives in terms of aggression and physically is more important then a tap to advantage in my opinion. His help defensively is also extremely underrated.

People fall in love with the picture perfect ruckman taps to mid who kicks to forward who kicks goal.
But in reality, 90% of stoppages aren’t pretty and you need dogs in their fighting.
Agree I would take a Nank game with 20 odd possies with a good handful of tackles and some clearances
over a Soldo game with single digits possies no tackles but a couple extra hit outs to advantage

From what I saw of the game in the office

Positives:

Taranto - Seriously looks a steal. Could be in for a career best year as he looks fit and like he can cover the ground at pace. Tackles hard as well with many of them sticking. I am looking forward to seeing a lot of these class tackles go unrewarded this year.

Prestia - Looks to be a new player with heat taken off him. Looks like a player who is used to being the number 1 driver in the engine room but is now being given number 2/3 attention. If we can keep him on the park then boy oh boy wowee for the meatball.

Dusty - Looks engaged and ready. Wasn't getting to a heap of contests but the ones he was involved with, he was there. Early in the year but he looks to have some strength back. Last 2 years he has been caught a few times trying to fend off, this game he was able to hold off some of the bigger players of North.

Hopper - Wasn't dominate but he is still looking to start getting back into football after a shit year last year with injury. The snippets where he was involved he was fantastic.

Ryan - Showed enough to prove that he is worth continuing.

Cumberland - Still playing but seems to be continuing with his play from last year.

Tom Brown - Really just needs to build either size or a tank. Played well but the physical side of his game needs to improve slightly. Would hate to lose him to Geelong as he seems like he could become something.

Negatives:

Transition off half back - This was shocking in the first quarter. Call it rust or whatever but we were exiting to outnumbers against us was mind boggling. Is something that needs to be fixed up.

Nank - He needs to work on his tap work. Sure he can compete and play well around the ground but **** me if you cant find Hopper, Tarranto or Meatball in the centre bounce then it really highlights a deficiency.

Maurice - Some may disagree but he looked like he has lost a yard or so of pace. Maybe he did come back a little overweight but he wasnt as electric as he was late last year.

Cotch - I hope it was just a veteran keeping the powder dry and just getting k's in the legs but he may only offer something marginally more than George in the forward line. The big saving grace was he looks fantastic through the middle when we did the match sim

Daniel - Looked shakey and dare I say arrogant. Hopefully he comes good Rd 1

Short - Biggest disappointment of the day. Looked like a player that was not taking it seriously. Can't play mid. Full stop. Has to be off the half back and most likely rotating off the bench with Baker.

Soldo - Real disappointed he was not given a chance to ply his trade against North's AFL Ruckmen. Could be that he is on Dimma's shit list.

Dow - Same as Soldo really. Was hyped up all preseason but wasn't given a real chance in the middle. When Short put up some insipid contests I would of loved to see Dimma bring Dow in.

Effort - I really hope it is a symptom of being early year and being a scratch match, but the heat and attack on the man really wasn't there. I hope it was the mix of players and unofficial match syndrome but it was concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree I would take a Nank game with 20 odd possies with a good handful of tackles and some clearances
over a Soldo game with single digits possies no tackles but a couple extra hit outs to advantage
Nanks also a great field kick. He picked out a beautiful 45 degree kick at half back today that not many ruckman even dream of.

Nanks also a great field kick. He picked out a beautiful 45 degree kick at half back today that not many ruckman even dream of.
Yeah he’s got a great boot on him, no doubt he isn’t perfect but in terms of what he offers overall he’s our best choice of number 1 ruck
Holds his own in the hitouts but is legitimately plays like an extra midfielder

Agree. but Soldo is a aggro tackler. Soldo added to his kicking range, however Soldo is slower than Miller when ball hits the deck. If Miller can kick a few he retains his spot.
Nanks pros and cons have lead him to be captain. I can't see Soldo pushing past unless a drop in form from nank.
Surely midfielders can work with nank to be in best position. Or rove to the oppo ruck if Nank is getting beaten

Last edited:
To be fair it is further away from Punt Rd than Marvel. We were basically forced to play interstate. Disgusting by the club to agree to that.
And in an extended match too, absolutely criminal.

At least we got an early start so we can make it back within a day.

Yeah he’s got a great boot on him, no doubt he isn’t perfect but in terms of what he offers overall he’s our best choice of number 1 ruck
Holds his own in the hitouts but is legitimately plays like an extra midfielder
The big fella receives a lot of unfair criticism from tiger supporters. He’s not going to give you perfection in the taps department but his effort and aggression is hugely important for our kids once the ball hits the ground. He’a a an absolute honest workhorse that’ll work 95% of the leagues ruckman into the ground over 4 quarters.
He can be found out early in games when the heats on, but there’s not many players on the Richmond list that are more important late in tight important games then big Nank.
So many big games he has stood up late in the last quarter to either lay a huge tackle, take a pack mark in defence or kick a goal out of nowhere.
He clearly sets the example with intensity every game. These things can’t really be fully appreciated by us mere supporters.

Cumberland is interesting. Seems like he's still on the fringe despite being crucial late last year.
Yeah Mansell seems to be ahead of him. Probably because he's more of your typical defensive pressure forward than Cumbo is.

Has Cotchin taken Cumberland's spot up forward? If so, I'm not sure that's the right move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Richmond vs North - First of 3 Practice Games

Back